What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CTE

Wizardman

First Grade
Just watching 60 Minutes tonight, Im very sad to hear that Ray Price has early dementia. From looking at him, he certainly displays those sad signs.

I don't think the NRL does enough with this issue. Yes, some steps have been taken but it has not gone far enough. The way Boyd Cordner was dealt with last season is proof in the pudding.

moffla

Bench
James Graham the other night was applauded for his hard man stance on the issue, stating he was willing to die for the cause etc.

It made for a a bit of a dramatic viewing for Fox league but you’ve got to wonder how many people share the same line of thinking? It’s a bit disturbing, in my opinion.

I don’t know, I might be a bit of a softy.

nick87

Coach
The sport won't exist in 20 years

That's a bit of an overreaction

The NRL is going to end up eventually having to make a fairly large compensation payout to former players, and probably set up some sort of funding to help players suffering from CTE as they go through life.

RL will exist in 20 years, and 40 and 60. It's just going to look and function differently to what it has to date.

84 Baby

Referee
That's a bit of an overreaction

The NRL is going to end up eventually having to make a fairly large compensation payout to former players, and probably set up some sort of funding to help players suffering from CTE as they go through life.

RL will exist in 20 years, and 40 and 60. It's just going to look and function differently to what it has to date.
It won’t be my rugba leeg!!! Bet they get rid of contestable rucks, real scrums and unlimited tackles!

Perth Red

Post Whore

The UK Union and possible League cases will be the first test. NFL lost because there was evidence they knew the risks and hid them from players. NRL has been very open, funded research with players, changed rules to reduce risk etc. It would be hard to say they have been negligent or that the players were in anyway kept in the dark of the risks they are taking.

End of day the players know the risks now and not one of them has chosen to stop playing because of the risk (other than those who have had numerous concussions, of which it is probably too late anyway). So knowing the risk of getting concussion and knowing the risk of what it could lead to they all continue to play. Sometimes life is dangerous!

A fund to help ex players, regardless of what the injury is if it is life changing, is well overdue.

nick87

Coach
The UK Union and possible League cases will be the first test. NFL lost because there was evidence they knew the risks and hid them from players. NRL has been very open, funded research with players, changed rules to reduce risk etc. It would be hard to say they have been negligent or that the players were in anyway kept in the dark of the risks they are taking.

End of day the players know the risks now and not one of them has chosen to stop playing because of the risk (other than those who have had numerous concussions, of which it is probably too late anyway). So knowing the risk of getting concussion and knowing the risk of what it could lead to they all continue to play. Sometimes life is dangerous!

A fund to help ex players, regardless of what the injury is if it is life changing, is well overdue.

That's all fair. Also our country tends to be less litigious than the US. And laws and interpretations could be different here that makes the class action less viable? Im not a lawyer so i dont know any of that.

But the wind is certainly blowing in one direction, and that is if there is the opportunity and the laws in this country support a class action for CTE, eventually it's going to come

GongPanther

Referee
That's all fair. Also our country tends to be less litigious than the US. And laws and interpretations could be different here that makes the class action less viable? Im not a lawyer so i dont know any of that.

But the wind is certainly blowing in one direction, and that is if there is the opportunity and the laws in this country support a class action for CTE, eventually it's going to come
Wonder what the possibility is of all players wearing protective head-gear?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wonder what the possibility is of all players wearing protective head-gear?

Apparently it doesn't make any difference, concussions in our game tend to happen from Gforce whiplash action and the brain moving around in the skull and headgear doesn't change that. All headgear does is reduces risk of getting cuts.

GongPanther

Referee
Apparently it doesn't make any difference, concussions in our game tend to happen from Gforce whiplash action and the brain moving around in the skull and headgear doesn't change that. All headgear does is reduces risk of getting cuts.
Disregard my last post, you beat me to it. :)

kdalymc

Bench
NRL is going to end up eventually having to make a fairly large compensation payout to former players, and probably set up some sort of funding to help players suffering from CTE as they go through life
It cannot be diagnosed until you are dead so unsure how this would work...
People could get a brain injury from one tackle, and people could be depressed from something totally unrelated and they are 2 of the symptoms....