What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins A Priority Signing

Panther_Daz

Staff member
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...iority-for-blues/story-e6frey50-1225994454994

Young gun Patrick Cummins a priority for Blues

454973-patrick-cummins.jpg

Quick ... Patrick Cummins at Sydney Airport after NSW's win over
Queensland. Picture: Brett Costello Source: The Daily Telegraph

CRICKET NSW officials will move swiftly to sign teenage quick Patrick Cummins to a long-term deal after another stirring Big Bash performance.

Cummins lit up the Gabba on Monday as he bowled with blistering pace and took three wickets during NSW's 17-run triumph over Queensland.

The 17-year-old, who was plucked from grade cricket and given a Blues call-up last week, has taken seven wickets at an average of 13 in three Big Bash matches and stopped the clock at 145km/h.

Only too aware rival states are keen to pounce, NSW are prepared to make the Penrith product's signature top priority, with a deal to be finalised as early as next week.

The Blues already have Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Starc, Burt Cockley, Mark Cameron, Brett Lee, Doug Bollinger and Stuart Clark to juggle on the books but Cricket NSW chief executive David Gilbert said Cummins had been in their plans well before his sensational Big Bash arrival.

"We hope to sign him very soon," Gilbert said.

"Obviously these couple of games in the Big Bash have catapulted him to people's attention nationally, but we've been aware of him for three or four years.

"John Dyson came to me 18 months ago and said there was this kid in the junior programs who had it. I heard he was good, but I'm shocked by how fast he can bowl."

Dyson, the former Test star who now works as a Blues selector, said Cummins was also no slouch with the bat.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
and he can bat

if Hilditch is still a selector in about 15 years they might give him a game

Panther_Daz

Staff member
With Lee and Bollinger in the WC squad and Hazelwood and Starc injured. I would not be surprised if Cummins gets a game in the Ford Ranger Cup in Feb.

Lee was a regular in that team and 1 spot at least is now available.

I guess Cummins will be up against Cameron, Copeland, Coyte or perhaps Cockley to partner Clark in the pace attack.

NSW has a glut of bowlers at the moment. Including those playing for NSW, those injured, and those playing for Oz, I have the list looking something like :

QUICKS -
Lee
Clark
Copeland
Cockley
Starc
Hazlewood
Coyte
Cameron
Abbott
Bracken
Bollinger
Cummins
Henriques

SPINNERS -
SOK
Haurie
Smith
Casson

13 quicks and four spinners - surely once the injuries get back, we should be in a position where Coyte never gets to play for NSW again!

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
With Lee and Bollinger in the WC squad and Hazelwood and Starc injured. I would not be surprised if Cummins gets a game in the Ford Ranger Cup in Feb.

Lee was a regular in that team and 1 spot at least is now available.

I guess Cummins will be up against Cameron, Copeland, Coyte or perhaps Cockley to partner Clark in the pace attack.

Surely he should be ahead of Coyte and Copeland. Definitely worth seeing how he goes in the longer format.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
these guys may signal the end of Copeland and 125k pies

Copeland has nothing with an old ball or conditions that dont suit him

snoozer

Bench
would like to see cummins in the longer forms.some onedayers for the blues then maybe some 4 day stuff.
i'm not big on how much long form younger guys play these days.just don't want to see him over used and worn out too early.

if Hilditch is still a selector in about 15 years they might give him a game
i was having a good day twizzle till i thought of the implications of hildud being around for 15 f**king years.

happy oz day to you too mate.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Pat should not play Shield Cricket this year. The Shield team is going very well and should not be messed with. Pat doesn't deserve selection in the 4 day stuff yet.

Clark
Cameron
Copeland
O'Keefe

Should be the Shield winning attack.

yappy

Bench
He's certainly got to be a lock for the Ryobi Cup games this year.

Might be a bit soon yet to throw him into the Shield. We've already got Cameron sitting out games, but if Doug and Haurie are both out then bringing him in as the fourth quick is prossibly the way to go. None of our quicks deserve to miss out, and having him as the 4th takes the pressure right off him and Clark can just give him short spells whilst he gets himself used to 4 day cricket. The other alternative is to bring Casson in to replace Ritzy.

yappy

Bench
NSW has a glut of bowlers at the moment. Including those playing for NSW, those injured, and those playing for Oz, I have the list looking something like :

QUICKS -
Lee
Clark
Copeland
Cockley
Starc
Hazlewood
Coyte
Cameron
Abbott
Bracken
Bollinger
Cummins

SPINNERS -
SOK
Haurie
Smith

12 quicks and three spinners - surely once the injuries get back, we should be in a position where Coyte never gets to play for NSW again!

Forgot Casson. With Haurie and Smith out of the side he will probably come in for Shield games at least. Either that or they'll start looking at the youngsters like Zampa and Doran.

Oh and you forgot Moises too. I can understand why, but the selectors keep picking him and obviously see him as a future leader.

I do wonder if we'll ever see Bracken again though.

Forgot Casson. With Haurie and Smith out of the side he will probably come in for Shield games at least. Either that or they'll start looking at the youngsters like Zampa and Doran.

Oh and you forgot Moises too. I can understand why, but the selectors keep picking him and obviously see him as a future leader.

I do wonder if we'll ever see Bracken again though.

Cheers Yap. Fixed.

yappy

Bench
not necessarily, I think due to his lack of pace he is limited especially when we have so many other options

I'll take a strike rate 45 and an average of 19 over 145km any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

simmo1

First Grade
Faaark, feel sorry for the blokes lining up against him at school cricket bowling 145kmh on astro turf.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Faaark, feel sorry for the blokes lining up against him at school cricket bowling 145kmh on astro turf.

As i mentioned in another thread he does scare a few openers in the Under 21's comp who come from 4th and 5th Grade to represent their clubs.

If he does play for NSW in the 50 over format he will miss the Under 21 Qualifying final for Penrith. I am sure a couple of the Randwick Petersham batsman will be hoping for Pat's NSW 50 over call up then!!!