What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CupWatch #4 Scotland

adamkungl

Immortal
Continuing with the European nations, next up is Scotland

As with their neighbours, the gap between their best and worse is largely influenced by heritage players, as we saw from the glorious highs of 2016's 4 Nations draw with New Zealand to the appalling lows of 2017's World Cup where an already thin squad had senior players sent home for excessive drunkenness.

We've since seen a major rebuilding period at every level for Scotland. Their 2018 squad that failed to earn early qualification was younger and less experienced but aimed to rebuild a healthy core. 2019 saw them comfortably account for Serbia and Greece with a squad mostly picked out of the Championship with a small handful of Super League players and local Scottish club lads. They'll be hoping in the next 2 years that some of their players can get call-ups to higher grades.

Their lost European Cup foray was a tough one, this year they will aim to surprise. Their first match is against Italy but the one vs France is where they'll want to put their best foot forward.

Best 17:

1 Coote (St Helens)
2 Graham (South Sydney)
3 Aitken (St George)
4 Russell (Toronto)
5 Tierney (Catalans)
6 Brierley (Hull KR)
7 McLelland (Leeds)
8 Adam Walker (Salford)
9 Houghton (Hull FC)
10 Brooks (Leigh)
11 Joe Wardle (Huddersfield
12 Ferguson (Featherstone)
13 Linnett (Hull KR)

14 Kavanagh (Halifax)
15 Addy (Leigh)
16 Bell (Toulouse)
17 Hood (Leigh)

Pretty speculative, with their star backline players mostly not representing since 2016-17. But if they can get them back in they have every chance of causing some upsets.

WC Pool Opponents:
Australia
Fiji
Italy

Crucial Game: Ouch. This is the pool of depth, despite claims otherwise about pools A or D.
Australia is write-off, lets not bother there.
They'll like their chances against Italy.
But Fiji is the huge hurdle they need to overcome to get into the quarters. IF they get the above side on the field, IF they play their best and IF they catch Fiji on an off day... They need a lot to go right but stranger things have happened. If PNG can beat Great Britain then maybe, just maybe Scotland can get one over Fiji.

Predicted Finish: Pool exit in 3rd place
That said, it would take a brave man to bet against Fiji and Australia taking the top 2 spots in this pool. I expect an improvement from 2017s dismal showing but not enough to crack the big time yet.

PS.
I think it's worth noting some of the improvements in Scotland's local scene. Edinburgh Eagles won the English North East League in 2019 which is a great result.
In Scotland, a re-launched national league saw 3 teams play each other home and away.
Strathmore Silverbacks still active, Fife Lions returning after some absent years, and Glasgow RL launching for the first time.
Also competitive at Student, U19 and U16 levels with all teams featuring strong local representation, things finally seem to be pointing in the right direction.
It will be interesting to see what the next decade holds for Scotland.

Last edited:

Springs09

Juniors
The Scotland domestic scene improvement is a great sign. A far cry from the 2016 Four Nations when they had nothing.

I'd like to see a squad of:
1. Lachlan Coote
2. Campbell Graham
3. Euan Aitken
4. Kane Linnett
5. Matty Russell
6. Callum McLelland
7. Ryan Brierley
8. Adam Walker
9. Danny Houghton
10. Sam Brooks
11. Joe Wardle
12. Dale Ferguson (c)
13. Danny Addy

14. Alex Walker
15. James Bell
16. Ben Hellewell
17. Ben Kavanagh

18. Lewis Tierney
19. David Scott
20. Jacob Wardle
21. Liam Hood
22. Frankie Mariano
23. Scottish Domestic
24. Scottish Domestic

There's also Kieran Buchanan and Will Oakes that have Super League experience, not sure about any other NRL players?

Campbell Graham and Danny Houghton are both eligible but have not yet played. Houghton said in 2017 he was committed to England but he'll be 33 by the time of the World Cup and unlikely to represent England before then unless there's injuries to Hodgson, Clark and Roby.

Aitken and Linnett aren't going to get any better than Scotland so hopefully they'll play as well.
2 halves with ESL experience in McLelland and Brierley will be helpful but Brough will be missed.
Walker has been impressive at London.
Would like to see 2x Scottish domestics in the wider squad to join the other 2 Scottish borns in Russell and Scott.

If they were in Groups C or D I'd give them a chance for the quarter finals but I don't think they have a chance against Fiji.

Springs09

Juniors
So from what I gathered the following players of European birth/descent featured for Super League teams in Round 1

Irish
1. Toby King
2. Joe Philbin
3. Marc Sneyd
4. Anthony Mullally
5. Liam Kay
6. Brad Singleton
7. James Bentley
8. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook
9. Tyrone McCarthy
10. Robbie Mulhern
11. Michael McIlorum

Didn’t Feature – Oliver Roberts, Lewis Bienek, Ethan Ryan, Joe Keyes, Ed Chamberlain, Kyle Amor, Gareth O’Brien, George King, Liam Byrne

Scottish
1. Matty Russell
2. Joe Wardle
3. Jake Wardle
4. Lachlan Coote
5. Kane Linnett
6. Ryan Brierley
7. Danny Brough (won’t be picked)
8. Danny Houghton

Didn’t Feature – Lewis Tierney, Callum McLelland, Adam Walker, Alex Walker

Welsh
1. Regan Grace
2. Gil Dudson
3. Rhys Williams
4. Craig Kopczak (international retirement)
5. Morgan Knowles

Didn’t Feature – Chester Butler, Rhys Evans, Elliot Kear, Ben Flower

French
1. Gadwin Springer
2. Hakim Miloudi
3. Remi Casty
4. Julian Bousquet
5. Ben Garcia
6. Fouad Yaha
7. Arthur Romano
8. Mickael Simon
9. Benjamin Jullien
10. Jason Baitieri
11. Theo Fages
12. Romain Navarrete

Didn’t Feature – Alrix Da Costa, Mickael Goudemand, Lucas Albert, Paul Seguier, Antoni Maria, Arthur Mourgue, Gavin Marguerite, Jordan Dezaria, Morgan Escare

With those players you'd think at full strength France would be the most likely to challenge the big players, if they can sort their rubbish out. They have the halfback of the current premiers and several quality forwards. (Also where did Gigot end up?)

Ireland probably have enough for a full side and I would love to see a full strength Irish team take on England sometime this year.

Scotland have a pretty good spine if they can get all to commit. A team built around a good spine was the reason they made the quarters in 2013.

Wales look dire. Surely there's more Welsh players somewhere? Even of their Super League players, Flower, Dudson and Evans don't even bother to represent most of the time.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Looks 99% right Springs.

Aparently Levy Nzoungou plays for Bradford this year.
Gigot is unsigned and rumours were about that he'll play Union. Weird that no one would want such a talented player even in Championship,.

Wales also have Morgan Knowles who is fairly handy but yes are pretty think on first grade talent. That said they are probably the most likely of the home nations to bring domestic born talent through to grade at this stage.

I think Italy could be on a hiding to nothing this time round, some of the senior players they've had in the past have retired or moved onto Australia. Haven't got round to researching them properly yet though

for Ireland, Bienek is on loan to Leigh this year
Gareth O'Brien is a good inclusion that I'd missed, should get some game time soon over Mellor or McPlod (I hope)

Springs09

Juniors
Oops I thought I had Knowles in, edited.

Could Gigot be a good fit for Toronto? They definitely need another big spine player.

Is O'Brien injured? I thought for sure he'd be at fullback or five-eighth over Mellor or Wallace.

My best Italy team I did late last year was:
Italy

1. Mason Cerruto
2. Emmanuele Passera
3. Justin Castellaro
4. Chris Centrone
5. Richard Lepori
6. Cooper Johns
7. Jake Clifford
8. Daniel Alvaro
9. Joe Tramontana
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Brenden Santi
12. Aiden Guerra
13. Nathan Brown

14. Dean Parata
15. Leilani Latu
16. Giole Celerino
17. Ryan King

And that relies on Johns and Latu declaring for Italy and Vaughan not being picked for Australia.