What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cut salary cap or we'll perish: Denis Fitzgerald

would be guessing, but most likely $6mil a year.
Nrl grant is about $3.4mil which basically covers the salary cap. So you need equipment, trainers, coaches, clothing, promotions, transport, front office staff etc etc.

would be guessing, but most likely $6mil a year.
Nrl grant is about $3.4mil which basically covers the salary cap. So you need equipment, trainers, coaches, clothing, promotions, transport, front office staff etc etc.

ahahahahahaahahahahahahahah.

Oh Stop it please.

To run a club like a Parramatta, Roosters or Bulldogs, you don't get much change from $14 million a year. You can run a previous incarnation of Souths on $9 Million.

Kornstar

Coach
Why does the club need so much support staff? Shouldn't the Head coach be doing more? Why does he need more than 1 assistant? I don't get it.

It all seems a little overkill for me, maybe that is the problem with most clubs?

Cutting the salary cap would pretty much kill the league in this country, no-one of any great quality would play it because they could get so much more in England or Union.

Fitzy is a moron imo......

spiderdan

Bench
there is some merit to the train of thought fitzy has to this but i don't think a reduction of $500k a year is the answer or that it will save much moolah in the regular running of a club.

thing is that the cap was only just raised for last year and it would be a bit hard to go backward from here. instead of a big increase like there was it should have maybe been incremented over 5 years to allow clubs to adjust rather than jumping into an overspend on players.

basic bottom line is that the nrl and it's clubs need to find new ways of generating money outside of their leagues clubs.

the_eel

Juniors
If it costs $14 million to run a club and each club is receiving about $4million from the NRL we're effectively looking at a gap of $10 million to run each Club. Obviously one team towns such as Brisbane, Titans, Cowboys, Storm, the Warriors and the Knights should find it a little easier to get access to sponsorship but the Sydney Clubs are effectively all fishing from the same pond. 10 teams trying to get a $100 million each season to fill the gap. There is no doubt that we have too many teams in Sydney and whether we like to admit it or not it's going to be more cost effective to the Club than we should look at playing out of 2 or 3 stadiums in Sydney (similar to the format in Melbourne for the AFL)

Having said all that I for one don't think we should drop the cap and in fact i do support it increasing sligtly over the next 5 years. I simply think we are going to have to see some Sydney Clubs merge, relocate or fall by the wayside.

spiderdan

Bench
If it costs $14 million to run a club and each club is receiving about $4million from the NRL we're effectively looking at a gap of $10 million to run each Club. Obviously one team towns such as Brisbane, Titans, Cowboys, Storm, the Warriors and the Knights should find it a little easier to get access to sponsorship but the Sydney Clubs are effectively all fishing from the same pond. 10 teams trying to get a $100 million each season to fill the gap. There is no doubt that we have too many teams in Sydney and whether we like to admit it or not it's going to be more cost effective to the Club than we should look at playing out of 2 or 3 stadiums in Sydney (similar to the format in Melbourne for the AFL)

Having said all that I for one don't think we should drop the cap and in fact i do support it increasing sligtly over the next 5 years. I simply think we are going to have to see some Sydney Clubs merge, relocate or fall by the wayside.
compare it to the afl.

smaller pond, same number of teams and probably costs the same, if not more to run a club yet they manage to make a profit from the bulk of their clubs.

it baffles me that over the last 15 years rugby league has gone from the strong position it was and the countries number 1 football code to the present day financial woes it's in. in that same time the afl has expanded to a true national sport and gone from strength to strength

oldmancraigy

Coach
As if Parra can't afford to pay mroe salary.

Doesn't the Leagues club also sponsor the Union and Soccer teams?

Fitzy is just being an idiot saying 'reduce the cap' so that it doesn't get INCREASED.

He's trying to say 'we can't survive' - yeah, sure - but he wants to be able to keep splashing money around everywhere else.

Make the cap $5mill and put in better bonuses for long serving players!!

As if Parra can't afford to pay mroe salary.

Doesn't the Leagues club also sponsor the Union and Soccer teams?

Fitzy is just being an idiot saying 'reduce the cap' so that it doesn't get INCREASED.

He's trying to say 'we can't survive' - yeah, sure - but he wants to be able to keep splashing money around everywhere else.

Make the cap $5mill and put in better bonuses for long serving players!!

Question, are you a Leagues Club Member?

Did you happen to see the - 4 Million Dollars in the Financial Statement. That is Right Parramatta Leagues club ran at an Operating loss this year. Now we have equity to cover it, but I would rather we be investing with our Equity rather then just paying for the club to continue to operate.

fish eel

Immortal
The club will cease their interest in the Parramatta Two Blues next season I belive and they haven't sponsored the soccer since the A-League started.

there's been no soccer side to throw cash at since the NSL wound up.

They pissed away a ridiculous amount of money on that 'venture'

fish eel

Immortal
Do you know Numbers Fish?

I did at the time but not now - however it would be safe to say the losses over the years of that license would be in the millions.

I do know that in terms of wages, particuarly early on, we were paying well inexcess of what other NSL sides were paying

V1er

Juniors
The club will cease their interest in the Parramatta Two Blues next season I belive and they haven't sponsored the soccer since the A-League started.

they bought out the two blues club too up at westmead or there abouts but thats closed down as well from my understanding.

fish eel

Immortal
they bought out the two blues club too up at westmead or there abouts but thats closed down as well from my understanding.

i was there a few weeks back before it closed and there was maybe a dozen people inside.

i was there a few weeks back before it closed and there was maybe a dozen people inside.

I know Fishy hear talks about the Drop in Revenue, well Two Blues is one of the things that Dragged the results down as I hear it. It was hemoraging money for us and not making much either.

fish eel

Immortal
I know Fishy hear talks about the Drop in Revenue, well Two Blues is one of the things that Dragged the results down as I hear it. It was hemoraging money for us and not making much either.

how much did we pay for it and how much has that 'venture' cost us?

fish eel

Immortal
I think we Rescued it, so I am not sure how much changed hands.

rescued?

more like a stay of execution

and mark, you wonder why I am cynical when I hear Fitzgerald bemoan the pokie tax and the smoking bans when we have costly ventures like this one which are hard to quantify in terms of cost in the annual report. Incidently, I dont think either could be blamed for two blues issues, more the fact people just didnt walk through their doors at all.