What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cut salary cap or we'll perish: Denis Fitzgerald

bartman

Immortal
Will become a big block of flats in the next few years, and provide a bigger return to the club in that form than it was as a trading entity. No dramas with the Two Blues venture, more dramas imo with pouring money down a soccer funnel that went nowhere and has nothing to show for it...

I actually liked that Fitzy in this instance took a lead position on behalf of the game as a whole (not just parra) in putting forward the statement against endless salary cap raises. That cannot be the solution, unless the game (as a whole) is getting the type of income (through TV rights etc) to rival what Union has, which comes back to the deals with channel 9 and foxtel, and the conflict of interest on the NRL board which ties Gallop's hands somewhat.

No change to the salary cap will deal with the international economic reality that see players head to the UK to cash in. They are not being forced out - they are making choices based on their greed and expectations of ongoing high salaries, because that it what is more important to them than playing in NRL or with their club on reduced deals as better youngsters come through.

I'm sick of hearing players whinging that the salary cap forced them out - they should just be honest and admit the reality of them wanting to stay on the same or ever increasing amount throughout their career right up to retirement means that they have to go to England, full stop. We shouldn't break the game and clubs financially just to accommodate greedy f**ks who can't invest what they've got sensibly enough.

I hope Denis' comment at least sets a tone to many players and officials (in the game as a whole, including media whores like Phil Gould) that the days of ever increasing revenue for our game (as dreamed of during Superleague by some) have not come to fruition, and the game as a whole has to get real. If we lose some greedy stars from time to time, so be it, there will be more and no-one (not even Joey) proves irreplaceable.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I actually liked that Fitzy in this instance took a lead position on behalf of the game as a whole (not just parra) in putting forward the statement against endless salary cap raises. That cannot be the solution, unless the game (as a whole) is getting the type of income (through TV rights etc) to rival what Union has,

League's income from TV deals far outweighs that of union.

I reckon we sold low on the TV deals this time.

Hate to say it, but clubs are only forking out 800k for the salary cap - the league grants them the rest.

The game DOES have to get real, and it needs to do that by raising the cap. There's no compulsion on any club to spend it all - so put it up and bring in a trading system which would also allow cash to swap hands.

Hate to say it, but clubs are only forking out 800k for the salary cap - the league grants them the rest.

The game DOES have to get real, and it needs to do that by raising the cap. There's no compulsion on any club to spend it all - so put it up and bring in a trading system which would also allow cash to swap hands.

All, No, Most Yes, the league states you must spend to a certain value. The Saving you can make from that are exceptionally Minimal.

HevyDevy

Coach

They can raise the cap when the size of the NRL grant matches the cap.

When the NRL can afford a $5 million grant, the cap can be $5 million. We'll see what 2011 brings.

They can raise the cap when the size of the NRL grant matches the cap.

When the NRL can afford a $5 million grant, the cap can be $5 million. We'll see what 2011 brings.

I agree or before hand if the NRL gets more sponsors or some other major revenue loss is released from it.

oldmancraigy

Coach
A draft ? That's been to the High Court already and deemed to be a restraint of trade.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23529190-5016309,00.html

Yes it was.

Relevance?

Trading system does not = draft.

Just a system where clubs can negotiate the transfer of players between the clubs, and the exchange of responsibility for salary.
It happens at the moment anyway - see last seasons movements of Soward et al. Might as well formalise it so that the fans (who pay for the game) can have some fun with it.

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
All, No, Most Yes, the league states you must spend to a certain value. The Saving you can make from that are exceptionally Minimal.

Most, No. Some, Yes.

There is a minimum salary for a player, and you are required to have the top 25 paid players counted towards the cap.

Because teams (Manly) counted previous seasons savings forward, the 'cap rule' is now that unused cap space will only count in a minimal amount.
Manly spent (for eg) $2.5mill one season, and then $5.5mill the next - using their $1.5mill saving from a season earlier in the following season (sketchy).
So now there is a set amount that you can transfer forward (400k or something) - but that doesn't mean you have to spend the other $3.8 million - just that there is no advantage (salary cap wise) in not doing so.

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
I agree or before hand if the NRL gets more sponsors or some other major revenue loss is released from it.

Or the clubs could organise their own sponsors?

If there are only 2 or 3 clubs who can't afford the $5mill, then increase it.

Shouldn't be reliant on the league to pay the salaries - clubs can generate income from sponsorships, gate takings, memberships etc.

Latest posts