What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D day for Parramatta

Name three players Parramatta must keep if they are to make the playoffs.

• Total voters

Justafan

Juniors
Breaking news - Danny Weidler has just tweeted that Ian Schubert will be reporting to the NRL that the Eels are Cap compliant as of today.

Didn't Schubert clear them earlier this year as well?

Schubert doesn't clear anyone anymore.

He is putting the eels case to the NRL why they would be Cap compliant from today onward. I assume the NRL have approved Watmough's retirement from injury and the transfer of another player to Storm.

Hope it's all approved and the team can get on with playing footy for points

Bazal

Post Whore
Didn't Schubert clear them earlier this year as well?

We were, it's just that the dodgy TPAs have been included in the cap, so that put us over. We were "under the cap" but we were using illegal TPAs which should have been included and weren't....

Anyway, hopefully we are under the cap again and can play for points. I'm not in line with some deluded Eels fans who think we've been rorted here, but I definitely don't want to see them playing for nothing.

no name

Coach
Schubert doesn't clear anyone anymore.

He is putting the eels case to the NRL why they would be Cap compliant from today onward. I assume the NRL have approved Watmough's retirement from injury and the transfer of another player to Storm.

Hope it's all approved and the team can get on with playing footy for points

We were, it's just that the dodgy TPAs have been included in the cap, so that put us over. We were "under the cap" but we were using illegal TPAs which should have been included and weren't....

Anyway, hopefully we are under the cap again and can play for points. I'm not in line with some deluded Eels fans who think we've been rorted here, but I definitely don't want to see them playing for nothing.

Ok cool, I was wondering why Schubert's name was getting thrown around.

Hopefully they can play for points again.

So refreshing.

Sad part is the players, coach and fans are the ones gutted by all this. After the court proceedings one would hope those responsible for doing this get what they deserve.

If the Structure of the club can be sorted and a Board focussed upon the footy club be put in place without all the back room bullshit you guys have endured for years, the club will be the force they should be.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is it true players received cash? You think they didn't know something iffy was going on if that's the case? If parra are now cleared to earn points you have to say they have got off very very lightly after years of systemic cheating. Such is the NRL, I guess we better get used to it and shouldn't be surprised after the slap on the wrist to Cronulla for systemic drug cheating.

Perth Red

Post Whore
True lol. At least if you're going to cheat you'd hope to enjoy some success out of it, even if it's short lived!

no name

Coach
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ee...d/news-story/3543faf71d847370028e928ffebc229e

PARRAMATTA’S embattled ‘Gang of Five’ officials have been suspended for a second time after the court injunction they filed last week against the NRL was today lifted.
Eels chairman Steve Sharp, chief executive John Boulous, head of football Daniel Anderson, deputy chairman Tom Issa and director Peter Serrao returned to the NSW Supreme Court as they challenged the legality of the suspensions handed down to them by the NRL.
The quintet had decided to continue to challenge their suspensions as club officials imposed by the NRL as part of its provisional sanctions imposed upon the Eels for alleged salary cap indisrections.
Parramatta Eels chairman Steve Sharp has had his suspension reinstated.
Parramatta Eels chairman Steve Sharp has had his suspension reinstated.Source:News Corp Australia
The five have been suspended by the NRL as part of its breach notice served to the club on Tuesday.
Other aspects of the breach notice included a provisional docking of 12 competition points and a proposed $1 million fine.
But the injunction imposed on the NRL’s decision to suspend the officials was dropped today.
The officials want to continue in their capacities with the club as they prepare a response to the NRL’s allegations.
That response to those allegations is due on June 3.
The NRL is expected to hand down its final decision around two weeks later.

Today’s court results mean the Eels have until Friday to get under the salary cap without the people who engaged in alleged cap breaches at the helm of the club.

ed-grimley

Bench
Is Greenberg dumb or was he trying pull a swifty making Parra's ability to play for points dependent on the board resigning? There'd be kids in Kindergarten who'd know about due process in the law - I thought it was odd that he'd do this at the time of his announcement. All he has done is made himself look a goose - people in key positions in organisations shouldn't be making ill-advised ad hoc decisions such as this.
What I have written above is in no way an endorsement of the past and present actions
of the Eels board - they should be out on their ears.

Is Greenberg dumb or was he trying pull a swifty making Parra's ability to play for points dependent on the board resigning? There'd be kids in Kindergarten who'd know about due process in the law - I thought it was odd that he'd do this at the time of his announcement. All he has done is made himself look a goose - people in key positions in organisations shouldn't be making ill-advised ad hoc decisions such as this.
What I have written above is in no way an endorsement of the past and present actions
of the Eels board - they should be out on their ears.

Umm the 5 in question dropped the case against the NRL. So they are back to same place they were last Tuesday, except the club gaining additional time to respond to the breach notices. I would agree that given the nature of the breaches they always should have had a more reasonable time frame to respond.

This is how the Sydney Morning Herald are reporting it -

Parramatta Eels officials banned again after NSW Supreme Court injunction lifted

Date:May 9, 2016 - 3:30PM
by Michael Chammas and James MacSmith

The Parramatta NRL club's five under-fire club officials are suspended again after the NSW Supreme Court lifted an injunction order on Monday.

Eels chairman Steve Sharp, chief executive John Boulous, head of football Daniel Anderson, deputy chairman Tom Issa and director Peter Serrao will be limited to basic duties at the club.

The quintet were initially suspended last Tuesday by the NRL, which indicated plans to deregister them over the club's salary cap scandal. However they successfully sought the injunction a few hours later.

It is now up to the Parramatta club as to how the five officials continue in their roles at the club as they prepare their defence of breach notices handed down by the NRL.

The Eels remain confident of being able to compete for points by Friday after a two and a half hour meeting at the NRL on Monday.

Eels consultant Ian Schubert, the NRL's former salary cap auditor, left a meeting at League central on Monday saying "the club is confident it can get to where it needs to be by this weekend".

The Eels won't be able to begin accruing points until they are salary cap compliant, with the NRL adding $700,000 worth of third party agreements from the past three seasons into their salary cap for this year, leaving the Eels with $570,000 to shave off in four days.

Schubert argued the legitimacy of some of the payments that were included in the salary cap when meeting with auditor Jamie L'Oste Brown on Monday, arguing the figure should be significantly less than the $570,000 the NRL initially asked to be culled.

The Eels return to the field for Friday's game against South Sydney at Pirtek Stadium.
Hope that helps. I've highlighted some pertinent bits.