What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Telegraph: Feleti Mateo launches Eel attack

HevyDevy

Coach
Actually champ, if you think you're right, you're wrong.

But good luck with your crusade. I might even vote for you at the next club election.

But seriously, I don't have a theory. I'm just sick of whingers like you throwing yours around like a bunch of dummy spitting children, with absolutely no proof. You just sound like you backed the wrong horse and now you're just going to piss and moan about it every chance you get.

You could be completely right but the way you carry on about it makes me disinclined to believe you. And even if I did believe you I'm even less inclined to care.

The reason I support the current board and coach is the same reason I don't give a shit about previous employees of the club - because it's got nothing to do with me. But one thing that makes my blood boil is a sore loser and that's you and all your mates.

Would you like a burger with your cries?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah the $100,000 or less Maloney was on.

And you won't be able to re-sign him now. So it's lucky he wanted to leave anyway.

It's no coincidence the Warriors were able to throw a whole heap of cash at Johnson right after Maloney confirmed he's not hanging around.

There's a salary cap mate. The money Mateo's getting is money that can't be spent elsewhere.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Haha righto so in the last few days we worked out that contract extension with Johnson? Despite Bluey coming out a few weeks ago and saying we had/were working on extensions with several key players. Your argument was that signing Mateo would mean we could retain our junior talent like Johnson. Hasn't happened. Also how do you know it's a whole heap of cash?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Your argument was that signing Mateo would mean we could retain our junior talent like Johnson. Hasn't happened.

So if it's not him it'll be someone else.

Don't you get it? There's a salary cap. The money Mateo's getting means you won't be able to spend that money on another player you might need. Have you considered who will replace Maloney? Whatever you pay the replacement will be affected by how much the other players in the squad are on.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Thomas Leuluai is replacing Maloney. And he is already signed on. The fact that we signed Mateo is/has not going to affect us retaining the players we really want to. Even with Maloney it sounds like we chucked a very generous offer at him moneywise and we had already signed TL at that time as well. Oh and we also extended one of the best props in the game Sam Rapira for a few more years.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Shaun Johnson's a gun but Leuluai isn't as good as Maloney. And Maloney's overrated to start with.

Rapira's a good prop but once again, there's not much difference between a good prop and an average one. Especially over 40 minutes. There aren't too many front-rowers on big money and I doubt Rapira's on that much.

The only must-have player out of the four you've mentioned is Johnson. The rest are replaceable.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
So really what you're saying Mateo hasn't meant that we have lost/or going to lose any players that are irreplaceable? In fact in our line up Mateo has become one of irreplaceable players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So really what you're saying Mateo hasn't meant that we have lost/or going to lose any players that are irreplaceable? In fact in our line up Mateo has become one of irreplaceable players.

Well he certainly wasn't irreplaceable here. With him gone we were able to sign and re-sign much more reliable players.

Mateo's like Dave Taylor - massive threat with the ball in his hands but he's a weakness that is far too easy to exploit.

Some coaches are happy paying top dollar for a player like that but plenty of coaches aren't. You'll notice neither of them were picked for Origin this year, and salary cap isn't even a factor in rep footy.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Well actually Taylor was picked. Difference being the Warriors aren't the NSW SOO team and the NRL is rep football and we have different needs in the back row. The NSW team could do worse then pick Mateo, some individual brilliance by him might help them towards a series victory. Or they could go with the same players over and over again and lose what, 7 in a row?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well actually Taylor was picked.

Taylor was picked last year and was exploited in limited minutes, especially in game 3. He didn't play this year.

Difference being the Warriors aren't the NSW SOO team and the NRL is rep football and we have different needs in the back row. The NSW team could do worse then pick Mateo, some individual brilliance by him might help them towards a series victory. Or they could go with the same players over and over again and lose what, 7 in a row?

He doesn't get picked because they know Queensland would target a player like that just like Melbourne and Manly did in the finals.

He plays in a very important defensive position and he just doesn't perform well enough without the ball in his hands.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Taylor was picked last year and was exploited in limited minutes, especially in game 3. He didn't play this year.

He doesn't get picked because they know Queensland would target a player like that just like Melbourne and Manly did in the finals.

He plays in a very important defensive position and he just doesn't perform well enough without the ball in his hands.

He played in game 2 and got picked for game 3 but missed out due to suspension? Could have looked that up surely. Maybe NSW should go back to Hindy then.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He played in game 2 and got picked for game 3 but missed out due to suspension? Could have looked that up surely. Maybe NSW should go back to Hindy then.

Ah yes. I was thrown by the change in jersey number - Ben Hannant wore 17 this year.

As for Hindy, he's limited for the opposite reason Mateo and Taylor are - too weak in attack for rep footy. Plus he plays a very different position to those two (Taylor and Mateo are edge forwards, while Hindmarsh plays in the middle).

If you could combine Hindy and Mateo you would have a great player. Or you'd have a lazy defender who who gets dominated when he runs the ball.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Nothing left to lose for NSW imo, give Mateo 30 mins of the bench, 10-15 mins before halftime especially and see what he can add. Could be the spark they need. Of course that depends on if he replicates his form from this year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He's always been a great attacking player - he made 20 LBAs in 2008 for example.

He wasn't any better this year than in previous years, other than he wasn't forced to be the go-to man. And that's because he's finally playing in a team with decent halves.

SDM

First Grade
Fast Eddie is still desperately seeking validation.

You love him, and some other people think he is a fat slug. Get on with life.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You love him, and some other people think he is a fat slug.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

I think Mateo's a fat slug but I love him too. Awesome player to watch - wherever he is there will be linebreaks. No matter which team has the ball.

Latest posts