1. Round 6 Edition OUT NOW:

The Round 6 issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

It's time for the NRL to take concussion more seriously. A look at recent events and what rules need changing. We talk to Adam O'Brien on how Newcastle plan to respond after last week's big loss to the Titans, and there's a special tribute to retiring North Queensland half Michael Morgan. As always, the full program for the coming weekend's action across NRL, NSWRL and QRL with a wrap-up of the weekend just gone.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 6 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Daily Telegraph: Feleti Mateo launches Eel attack

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by lucablight, Sep 14, 2011.

1. lucablight

lucablight Bench

link: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...nches-eel-attack/story-e6frexnr-1226136154479

Now that the season is done and dusted what do most people think about Mateo being let go compared to the same time last year? I've always maintained that it was a massive screw up and I see no reason to change now. Mateo was one of our best performers in 07 and 08 and despite missing most of 09 he was crucial in the late surge to the grand final. Daniel Anderson was even quoted at the time as saying the Eels wouldn't get anywhere without Mateo. We really should have been trying to tie up Mateo at the end of 09 instead of chasing Mortimer and letting the warriors get an opportunity with their "once in a life time" offer. He did have a quiet 2010 yet he was still statistically one of the best Eels forwards despite that and finished the season on fire- after he had signed with the Warriors. With the benefit of hindsight it's quite embarrassing we let him walk out only to sign Webb, Walker and Whatuira who didn't really add much this year. We had one of the worst attacking records this year and I think Mateo at five eighth would have certainly helped. Imagine what a Mateo/Sandow halves combo would have been like. I know alot of people here will say get over it but it's very frustrating to see someone perform at another club when you think they could have still been in Eels colours.

2. Maroubra Eel

Maroubra Eel Coach

We needed to release Mateo.

How else was Ozzie going to have the cap space to sign Quade Cooper?

3. oldmancraigy

oldmancraigy Coach

Did we want to keep Mateo? Yes.

Is he a 400k a year player? No.

Would we have won the comp with Mateo this year? No.

Would we have made the top 8 with Mateo this year? Possibly - but we'd be mortgaging ourselves to mediocrity to see him as our '2nd best player'.

/end of thread.

Seriously - it's not as simple as "we should have kept him" - well duh. But not at the price of a superstar...

4. grapeape

grapeape Juniors

Mateo was the warriors best player this year and hasnt missed a game all year.

He would have been parra's best if he was still here.

Why would we let the most dangerous player in the comp go?

5. oldmancraigy

oldmancraigy Coach

Take away Maloney and Johnson and the Warriors finish equal with us on the table.

If Mateo was the most dangerous player in the comp, then how come the Warriors didn't improve at all?

14 wins without him in 2010
    14 wins with him in 2011.

Doesn't seem to have made a lick of difference - when it comes to the 'big dance' they're still a team standing on the outside and looking in.

Mateo isn't a "difference maker" in the NRL - if he'd taken $250k then heck yeah, I'd want him to stay. But for $400k+ you want a bloke who can take you from 'mediocre' or 'good' to 'great'.

Mateo can blow up about the Eels all he wants, but he was a big part of the half-arsed culture that we had.

6. aqua_duck

aqua_duck Coach

Where does the $400k figure come from? The papers reported that he signed for $350k with the warriors, considering he's a local junior and has so many close mates at the eels not to mention family, you'd think an offer anywhere near $300k would've been enough, is he worth $300k? Ofcourse

7. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

He's got a do or die semi coming up and feliti can still take the time out to have a dig at Parra????

But he's happy over the ditch :lol: yeah pull the other one. If maybe he had of pulled his finger out before the Broncos game we might have kept you. Keeping Mateo may have cost us the cap space to get Sandow and that's a very easy choice.

8. strider

strider Post Whore

he already reportedly took "less money" to stay once in the past - I'd be willing to bet he'd be at the point of needing any parra offer to be pretty close to stay (can't keep turning down good offers)

the $400K was probably paper talk - they always seem to get hold of some figure above the real figure, possibly its an incentive laiden figure for incentives which are unlikely to be achieved (probably like the sandow $550K figure) - so yeah I reckon parra could have kept him for maybe a little under $350K .... but I don't think it'd have changed our result

i'm glad feleti had a good year - hope he can keep backing it up, that's the big test

9. strider

strider Post Whore

read the article - did he actually have a dig at parra? I don't think so .... you've got read past the bullshit headlines in a telegraph article .... all he said is there's no harmony or organisation and the boys are frustrated - pretty f'n spot on if you ask me .... actually said he loved when he was at parra and admitted he wasn't fit .... can't see any dig

10. Maroubra Eel

Maroubra Eel Coach

Speaking of wasted cap space, does anyone know when Justin Poores contract is up?

That will free up a heap of cash.

11. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

His defence isn't good enough for the position he plays. Case in point was his game against the Broncos - had a good game in attack with 2 LB but in defence he missed 7 tackles.

As has already been said, we would've gone better with him this year but would've had no room to sign a halfback, which is what we've really needed for so long.

Plus Feleti's attitude is shit - he's a whinger and a sook, and he's proved it again with these comments to the media.

12. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Feleti. At the Eels he was unfit and didn't try most of the time.

13. oldmancraigy

oldmancraigy Coach

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/3446642/Warriors-offering-400k-for-Feleti-Mateo

I was looking at this article - but it's Kiwi dollars!

The tele reported $350k.

As for him taking less to stay at Parra, did he ever say he'd take less to stay here?
    And is he even worth $300k?
    Considering he has added 0 wins to the warriors this season, I think it's a bit silly to suggest that he's the difference maker over there. They won just as many games without him last season.

I would've liked to have kept him for the $250k mark - if he can get $350 - good luck to him!

14. oldmancraigy

oldmancraigy Coach

On the Sandow number, techincally the papers reported $1.7mill over 4 years.
    Rusty said $650k - but that's because he divided by 3 rather than 4.

So the 'reported' number on Sandow is $425k

But I digress! I agree with you on Feliti - wish he'd stayed (for less) but he's not the difference maker to our squad (or to the Warriors based on their results).

15. tresurehunt

tresurehunt Juniors

well there in the semi's , i would say he hasnt hurt them,,,,

16. Gronk

* they're

17. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

I did, no harmony, people are frustrated and no one has any idea what's going on. So that's not a dig??? Really why bring us up at all??? If he's so happy over there and with a semi final coming why mention Parra??? He still sounds dirty he was let go IMO. He still seems a sook.

18. Maroubra Eel

Maroubra Eel Coach

Yep he sure did add 0 wins.

What about poor blokes like Reni. He Deducted wins.

Good logic but.

19. Maroubra Eel

Maroubra Eel Coach

Even Hindmarsh said there was no harmony. I don't think it's any great secret.

20. Gronk

FMD a team that nearly came last has an unhappy dressing room ? How controversial.