What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daine Laurie

big_dell

Juniors
WESTS TIGERS cult figure Daine Laurie is considering seeking a release from the final year of his contract after being constantly overlooked for NRL selection.
As many as six clubs are believed to have expressed interest in the potentially devastating prop, who turns 25 today, including Wayne Bennett’s Dragons, who have lost Justin Poore to the Eels next season.
Laurie has played just 10 of a possible 18 matches this year and is unlikely to return to the NRL within the next four weeks after being sanctioned for failing to show up to a training session last month.
Laurie’s manager, Chris Haddad, met with coach Tim Sheens on Friday where it’s understood he requested an upgrade of Laurie’s bottom-tier, $45,000-a-year contract to remain. But a source close to the Tigers’ camp said the club was reluctant to do so because he’s yet to prove himself as a regular first-grader.
The Tigers have said they want to develop him into a back-rower next season, but a source close to Laurie said he was disappointed by the club’s stance and was considering asking for a release in coming weeks.
When contacted by The Sun-Herald, Laurie said he was a ‘‘frustrated’’ spectator but declined to comment on his contract situation. ‘‘Tim said Daine definitely has a future at the club and that he wants to keep him, but he wants him to play NSW Cup to learn how to play second row,’’ Haddad said.
‘‘Daine’s happy at the club but he wants to be playing first grade on a regular basis. He considers himself NRL standard. There are quite a few clubs interested in him but we’ll hold talks with the Tigers again in a few weeks before we look in to that.’’
Laurie is believed to be excited at the prospect of being coached by Bennett after seeing how he transformed Michael Weyman from a fringe first-grader into a State of Origin star in the space of an off-season.
Laurie was expected to return for tomorrow night’s clash with the Sea Eagles after being dropped for the past fortnight for failing to show to a training session last month.
Laurie is believed to have texted Toyota Cup coach Peter Gentle to explain he was staying at home, sick, rather than fronting training or calling Sheens, leading Tigers officials to believe he may have been hungover after players were given the all clear to have a rare drink on the Sunday.
He was then allegedly told he’d be stood down for the remainder of the season if he didn’t produce a doctor’s certificate – which he did – leading to discussions between his manager and the club.

grandorient

Bench
Don't know much about Laurie, but at 198cm and 110kg he is a big chunk of a man.

Bennet seems to have a way with changing the stlye and abitities of fringe players and if it is correct that Wayne is showing some interest, then bring him on.

GO

tevoro

First Grade
From memory, he has really crap hands, pretty much drops every 2nd ball he touches. And not to mention he plays about 15 mins a game?

dragondad

First Grade
He had the opportunity a few years to make his mark with us but things didn't work out then. He has matured a lot since those days and would be a great acquisition, in my opinion.

Bring back choc

Juniors
From memory, he has really crap hands, pretty much drops every 2nd ball he touches. And not to mention he plays about 15 mins a game?

Beau scott had the worst hands in our team last year....look at him now.

Your concerns are irrelevant.

I'd sign him.

MattYg1

Bench
One of the most unfit players in the NRL at the moment and has a poor attitude.

I wouldn't touch him.

If we went with that logic we would never of even looked at Weyman...

and yes Choc exact point I was going to make...

I'll say this much if we lose Paea to the Dogs we will lose that aggressive hard runner of the bench, i think we would make that up and then some more on top by signing Laurie... c'mon Wayne will turn this guy into something special.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I personally think he's a mssive wanker, & has a poor attitude.

But under Bennett, I'll give anyone a chance.

watatank

Coach
Wouldn't mind seeing him here although I would be concerned over his reasons for seeking a release...it's not as though he will waltz into this team right now...

Ray Parlour

Juniors
Don't be fooled by the big hits he does which look good on camera.

His actual footballing ability is non existent.

Godz Illa

Coach
Bring back choc is in favour of signing him... that has set some alarm bells ringing. lol

The comparison to Weyman is tenuous at best. Weyman was a junior rep star, captained the Australian Schoolboys, and made a smoother transition into first grade aside from injury. He and Laurie are poles apart