What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dallas Cowboys News

DC_fan

Coach
Former Cowboys OT Marc Columbo is expected to re-sign with the team this week and then announce his retirement. He wanted to retire a Cowboy.

Columbo had a history of injury throughout his career. Dallas was willing to give him a shot in 2005 and he spent six seasons with the them. The team released him last season when they drafted Tyron Smith.

DC_fan

Coach
The Cowboys have re-signed DE Clifton Geathers to a one year deal.

The 6-7, 320 pound lineman looks the part, but has never really lived up his looks. A bit of looking like Tarzan playing like Jane.

Former Cowboys great Leon Lett has come on board as an assistant and has helped Geathers a lot. This will be his make or break season.

DC_fan

Coach
The draft is less than a week away. So I thought I might make some comment about positions of need for the Cowboys and which players the team may look at to fill those needs.

I don’t see any needs at quarterback, running back or inside linebacker. All other positions are open with needs for a starter or quality backup.

Wide Receiver
Depth two quality starters in Miles Austin and Dez Bryant, but little else. Kevin Ogletree, Andre Holmes and Raymond Radway are the backups Ogletree was around last season and did very little. Holmes and Radway are highly thought of by the Cowboys, but both are very inexperienced.

Needs a number three receiver
Draft Priority Medium
Players who could be drafted Stephen Hill, Marvin Mmerkint, Brian Quick & AJ Jenkins,

Tight End
Depth we have Jason Witten and John Phillips. The later being no more than a #3 TE.
Needs a number two who is a pass receiver
Draft Priority Medium
Players who could be drafted Dwayne Allen & Ladarius Green (a poor draft class this year for TE’s)

Offensive Tackle
Depth quality starters in Doug Free and Tyron Smith. Then there is Jeremy Parnell.
Needs backup
Draft Priority Low
Players who could be drafted N/A

Guard
Depth picked up veterans Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings in free agency. Then there is Bill Nagy and David Arkin. Both of whom were rookies last year.
Needs At the very least a quality backup
Draft Priority Medium
Players who could be drafted Kevin Zeitler, Amini Silatolu, Kelechi Osemele & Brandon Brookes

Centre
Depth Phil Costa was the starter last season and it wasn’t that good. Back up is Kevin Kowalski who is very inexperienced.
Needs a starter. Or at least someone to put pressure on Costa
Draft Priority Medium
Players who could be drafted Ben Jones & Mike Brewster

Nose tackle
Depth at starter we have the much undersized 287 pound Jay Ratliff. Back up is the much bigger , but slow footed Josh Brent.
Need a starting quality nose tackle to allow Ratliff to move to DE
Priority Medium to high
Players who could be drafted Dontari Poe, Michael Brockers & AlamedaTa’amu

Defensive End
Depth Kenyon Colman, Jason Hatcher, Sean Lissemore and Marcus Spears were at different times starters last season. All are solid especially against the run, but very limited rushing the passer.
Need a difference maker. Someone who can pressure the quarterback.
Priority Medium to high
Players who could be drafted Fletcher Cox, Michael Brockers, Jerel Worthy & Devon Still

Outside linebacker
Depth All-World linebacker DeMarcus Ware as the starter on one side and the under achieving Anthony Spencer on the other. Backup Vince Butler is a good spot player.
Need a linebacker to rush the quarterback
Priority Medium
Players who could be drafted Whitney Mercilus, Andre Branch, Shea McCellin & Bruce Irvin

Cornerback
Depth Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick have been joined by free agent signing Brandon Carr. Not a whole lot of experience after that.
Need to add depth. A number four in the depth chart.
Priority Medium
Players who could be drafted Jamell Fleming, Brandon Boykin & Casey Hayward

Safety
Depth Sensabaugh will be joined by free agent signing Brodeny Pool. Young and inexperienced after that.
Need a playmaker
Priority High
Players who could be drafted Mark Barron & Harrison Smith

Last edited:

Monk

Referee
If we don't get Barron i will be pretty disappointed tbh. I've got high hopes.

DC_fan

Coach
Former Cowboys DT Chad Hennings will announce the teams second round pick in this years draft. Last year Charles Haley announced the selection.

DC_fan

Coach
If Dallas want Mark Barron they may have to trade up to get him. It seems that the Chargers are now showing interest in drafting him. Joining the Patriots. Both are appear to be willing to move trade picks with teams above Dallas in the draft.

DC_fan

Coach
claibornedraft.jpg

Morris Claiborne, Corberback LSU

Well this selection come out of left field. I or no one else that I know of suggested we would draft this shutdown corner. All the talk was about Barron and may be either DeCastro or Poe.

A real gutsy move by the Cowboys. They obviously wanted him and were willing to move up in the draft to get him.

Claiborne was far and away the highest rated defensive back in the draft. Some draft experts had him rated the second best player in the draft.

For those who don't know much about him here is some detail.

He is 5-11 and weighs 188 pounds. Played three seasons with Louisiana State. Finished his career with 11 interceptions (5 as a SO and 6 as a Jun). One returned for a touchdown. Not afraid to tackle involving himself in 95 tackles. In his junior year showed potential as a kick returner.

The Cowboys gave up their 1st round and 2nd round picks to move up to 6th spot to get him.

DC_fan

Coach
The Cowboys don't have a second round pick. But don't be surprised if they trade their way back in to the round. Jerry Jones is in an aggressive mood. Just look at the trade today.

As it stands we have a 3rd, two 4th, 5th, 6th and a 7th round remaining.

The team still has a few areas that need to be looked at. Those being WR, TE, C, DL and OLB.

Raider_69

Post Whore
You think they have enough picks compared to needs to move up?

If they are to move it, it needs to be specific for positions they need, as they lose too many picks to address other needs (unless they deal Jenkins)

DC_fan

Coach
You think they have enough picks compared to needs to move up?

If they are to move it, it needs to be specific for positions they need, as they lose too many picks to address other needs (unless they deal Jenkins)

I am surprised we didn't move up. But Stephen Jones made it quite clear they weren't going to do so. They obviously expect to fill their needs with the draft picks they have left.

DC_fan

Coach
Crawford_042712_300.jpg

Tyrone Crawford, DE Boise State

Height 6-4
Weight 275-285 pounds
Speed 4.84 (40 yards)
Arm length 33 and 3/4 inches
Hands 9 and 1/2 inces
Wingspan 80 inches
Home town Windsor, Canada

Canadiam born player who attended Bakerfield Community College in 2008-09. Then transfered to Boise State.

In his junior year he played as a reserve in all 13 games finishing with 32 tackles and 7 sacks. In 2011 he started 12 games finishing with 44 tackles and 6.5 sacks.

My take

Different outlets have his weight listed anywhere between 275 and 285 pounds. He played DE at college and that is where its expected the Cowboys will play him. That brings in the concern of his weight. You don't have a 3-4 DE weighing as light as 275 pounds. Even 285 pounds is on the smaller side for the position. At the combine he was listed at 275. At the Boise State Pro Day he was listed as 282.

College stats suggets he knows how to get to the quarterback. Scouting reports are positive about him. He has gotten better each year.

My concern is his weight.

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
With thanks to http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/tracker/draft_selections/index.html

Kyle Wilber

Round 4, Pick 113

Position: OLB
Class: Sr
School: Wake Forest
HT: 6'3½"
WT: 240 lbs.
40 Time: 4.75
Conference: ACC

Biography: Two-year starter who finished with 70 tackles/11.5 tackles for loss/3.5 sacks as a senior and 65/14.5/6 as a junior.

Positives: Hardworking, versatile college defensive end expected to stand up at linebacker in the NFL. Effectively diagnoses the action, plays with leverage and works hard. Slices through blocks to make plays behind the line of scrimmage, fluid changing direction and displays speed chasing the action in pursuit. Easily moves down the sidelines and plays smart, disciplined football. Productive and gives effort on special teams.

Negatives: Struggles in coverage and displays poor ball skills. Slowed by blocks.

Analysis: Wilber was productive in all aspects of the Wake Forest defense and has the skill set necessary to be a 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL. He'll need to polish his game and improve his skill making plays in reverse, but he possesses the ability to eventually break into a starting lineup at the next level.

My Take: Should back up both Ware and Spencer. Eventually to replace Spencer on the strong side.

Matt Johnson

Round 4, Pick 135
Position: S
School: Eastern Washington
HT: 6'1"
WT: 220 lbs.
40 Time: 4.6
Conference: Big Sky

Biography: Four-year starter awarded all-conference honors since his freshman season. Senior totals included 52 tackles and two interceptions in five games before he suffered a season-ending biceps tendon injury. Junior totals included 105 tackles/5 interceptions/8 pass breakups. Posted 101 tackles as a sophomore.

Positives: Tough run-defending safety who is best in a straight line. Effectively reads the action, directs his teammates in the secondary and forces his way up the field to make plays against the run. Squares into ballcarriers, goes for the knockout blow and is aggressive in all aspects of the game. Remains disciplined with coverage assignments in the middle of the field.

Negatives: Lacks top sideline-to-sideline range and struggles getting outside the numbers to make plays. Loses a lot of momentum when he must immediately change direction.

Analysis: Johnson has been a very productive safety and possesses enough skill to get consideration as a conventional strong safety/special teams player at the next level.

My take: A star in a not so strong conference. In my opinion he was drafted too early.

Danny Coale

Round 5, Pick 152
Position: WR
School: Virginia Tech
HT: 6'0"
WT: 196 lbs.
40 Time: 4.43
Conference: ACC

Biography: Four-year starter and 2011 recipient of the ACC Jim Tatum Award, symbolic of the conference?s top student-athlete on the football field. Senior totals included 60 receptions/904 yards/3 TDs after he posted 39/732/3 as a junior. Also used to return punts at Virginia Tech.

Positives: Reliable, productive receiver with a terrific head for the game. Smart football player who comes back into the clearing to make himself an available target and consistently catches the ball with his hands. Fluid, displays terrific focus and frequently makes tough catches. Lays out or extends to grab the ball, makes over-the-shoulder catches downfield and uses his frame to shield away defenders. Plays with terrific balance and body control. Competes hard and always battles to come away with the ball. Solid route runner who stays low exiting breaks and positions himself to make the catch on exit. Displays a terrific sense of timing and wins out in battles.

Negatives: Not a true downfield threat despite his 40 time. Possesses solid size but is not a big-bodied receiver.

Analysis: Coale was a terrific college wide out and possesses enough skill to line up as a slot receiver in the NFL. One of the more underrated receivers in this draft, Coale should produce as a rookie then have a long NFL career as a third receiver on the depth chart.

My Take: Will line up in the slot. But is not overly quick for that position.

James Hanna

Round 6, Pick 186
Position: TE
School: Oklahoma
HT: 6'3½"
WT: 237 lbs.
40 Time: 4.44
Conference: Big 12

Biography: Two-year starter awarded all-conference honors as a senior with career totals of 27 catches/381 yards/2 TDs. Junior numbers included 18/292/7.

Positives: Quickly releases off the line into routes, immediately gets to top speed and runs well in every direction. Solid pass catcher who comes back to the ball out of breaks. Blocks with leverage, stays square and gives effort. Solid motion blocker who quickly gets out to the second level and seals linebackers from plays.

Negatives: Not a big, strong tight end. Struggles finishing blocks and lacks overall football strength. Occasionally drops easy receptions. Marginally productive in Oklahoma's passing offense.

Analysis: Hanna is a terrific athlete who's shown steady development the past two years. He projects as a number two move tight end.

My Take: I originally didn’t think much of him. But he is growing on me. Don’t be surprised if he lines up in the slot.

Caleb McSurdy
Round 7, Pick 222
Position: ILB
School: Montana
HT: 6'1½"
WT: 252 lbs.
40 Time: 4.82
Conference: Big Sky

Biography: Two-year starter awarded all-conference honors the past two years and named to numerous All-American squads as a senior. 2011 Big Sky Defensive Player of the Year with totals of 130 tackles/8.5 tackles for loss/4 sacks. Junior numbers included 112 tackles.

Positives: Smart football player who quickly diagnoses the action and rarely makes mental mistakes. Breaks down well, effectively uses his hands to protect himself and flows well to the action. Aggressive, consistent and hard hitting. Forceful up the field, efficient and keeps the action in front of him. Takes good angles to plays and consistently wraps up when tackling. Remains disciplined with assignments. Flashes skill in zone coverage.

Negatives: Lacks overall quickness in his game. Lacks speed in pursuit or out to the sidelines.

Analysis: McSurdy was incredibly productive the past two seasons and displayed great development in his game. He's a two-down defender for the next level who could eventually develop into a starter at inside linebacker in a 34 alignment. He also plays with a special teams mentality, which increases his value.

My Take: Had a good solid college career. Not sure I ever see him being a starter. But should be a good backup and special teams player. I like smart football players.

DC_fan

Coach
This should not come as a surprise to anyone, CB Mike jenkins has asked to be released/traded.

With the Cowboys picking up Carr through free agency and Claiborne in the draft it has forced Jenkins down the depth chart. Scandricks covers the slot receiver so I am not sure where that leaves Jenkins.

He has one year left on his contract. The Cowboys may look to trade him so they get something for him. If they keep him then it's up to Jenkins to prove to prospective teams for 2013 that he has something to offer.

Monk

Referee
Any chance of moving him to safety? I have no idea if it would work. But we definitely need better safeties, and I always liked Jenkins.

DC_fan

Coach
At 5-10 and 200 pounds he has the size to play safety. But he has a huge reluctance to involve himself in the tough stuff like tackling.