What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dallas Johnson - How many weeks?

Iafeta

Referee
curious said:
LOL, so you are telling me Lyons tackle was life threatening? What about Dallas?
Why dont we just wrap them all in cotton wool, and play the game on a XBOX.

FFS this game has always been the best game in the world, becuase of the danger in it.
This is what makes RL different to NFL, players go out there knowing they are going into battle, they know they are talking there lives into there own hands and thats what makes it complusery viewing.

Di*kheads like you spend your time whinging about suspensions, then in the same breath wonder why the crowds are so poor, we are sanitising this game to a point where we will see players running out wearing plastic pads and helmets.

Sorry mate, but that's nonsense

Free flowing tries, creative play, and hard but fair play make this the best game. Getting dropped on your head or getting belted above the shoulders are not good advertisements for the game. I seriously doubt you'd find many people who'll say to you "Oh yeah bro, lets go to the footy so we can see someone get dropped on their head." This isn't fight club, you're not expected to risk your life to play the game and no one sane could possibly think that's the case.

Play hard, but play fair. Head high tackle laws and spear tackles are there to stop the likes of Jarrod McCracken and Adam Ritson being forced out of the game with serious injuries. We are better off having those types of guys being able to use their lives well after football. If we allowed dangerous plays to keep occuring and take no action, the NRL would be very negligent and sued under all sorts of laws when things suddenly started going wrong. Anyone who has any understanding of OH&S laws and the responsibility being on the people, and the organisation to create as safe a work environment as possible would realise that not suspending these sorts of tackles would be nonsense.

Iafeta

Referee
Dani said:
Get off your high horse.

Is it being on your high horse not wanting to see people with neck injuries? Or not wanting to see more McCracken/Ritson incidents from careless play?

Or is there a tinge of bias in defending Johnson? I'm a Queensland supporter and would like nothing more than Dallas Johnson to be in the team, but frankly, it was a careless shot.

Dani

Immortal
I was talking to Dodge, not you, sorry.

I agree, it was careless, but life threatening?

Coaster

Bench
Iafeta said:
Sorry mate, but that's nonsense

Free flowing tries, creative play, and hard but fair play make this the best game. Getting dropped on your head or getting belted above the shoulders are not good advertisements for the game. I seriously doubt you'd find many people who'll say to you "Oh yeah bro, lets go to the footy so we can see someone get dropped on their head." This isn't fight club, you're not expected to risk your life to play the game and no one sane could possibly think that's the case.

Play hard, but play fair. Head high tackle laws and spear tackles are there to stop the likes of Jarrod McCracken and Adam Ritson being forced out of the game with serious injuries. We are better off having those types of guys being able to use their lives well after football. If we allowed dangerous plays to keep occuring and take no action, the NRL would be very negligent and sued under all sorts of laws when things suddenly started going wrong. Anyone who has any understanding of OH&S laws and the responsibility being on the people, and the organisation to create as safe a work environment as possible would realise that not suspending these sorts of tackles would be nonsense.

I dont want to see people getting injured, but at the same time i dont want every player with agression sitting on the sidelines.

I am a Queenslander, and there was nothing in Lyons tackle. And i dont believe there was anything other then a bump in Dallas's tackle, if we start suspending players for 3 weeks for this sort of infringment, we wont have any players worth a pinch of salt playing the game.

If you want to start penalising players for that, then send him off. Or use a 5 min or 10min in the sin bin, at least this will help the team that actually coped the infrigment.

And if further action is required then fine him money. I think suspension should be used for only the most serious of charges.

Iafeta

Referee
curious said:
I dont want to see people getting injured, but at the same time i dont want every player with agression sitting on the sidelines.

I am a Queenslander, and there was nothing in Lyons tackle. And i dont believe there was anything other then a bump in Dallas's tackle, if we start suspending players for 3 weeks for this sort of infringment, we wont have any players worth a pinch of salt playing the game.

If you want to start penalising players for that, then send him off. Or use a 5 min or 10min in the sin bin, at least this will help the team that actually coped the infrigment.

And if further action is required then fine him money. I think suspension should be used for only the most serious of charges.
No dramas Dani, I wouldn't class it life threatening myself either just quietly ;-)

curious, I didn't see Lyon's tackle so won't comment. Johnson's tackle received a fairly low grading, a grade 2 careless I believe. As far as it was just a bump, I class Maitua as a strong willed player and he copped it sweet, lying on the park for a minute or two receiving attention. It probably could have been incurred an even higher grading, particularly as others have pointed out being third in when it wasn't necessary there could have been a case for a grade 1 reckless. If anything, the gradings this year are unbelievably low. Take some of the spears, my own team's player Tony Martin corked a shocker on Misi Taulapapa and got 2 weeks, downgraded to 1 week. That wasn't far off having extremely serious and dire consequences for Taulapapa. The neck area is a fragile, but very important part of a human's body, in this instance it's more good luck than good management that nothing occured. I doubt any player goes out to maim someone, I doubt Kearney and Bai did on Jarrod McCracken, and I still have doubts that Adam Ritson was deliberately targetted. Even Martin Lang or Nathan Long who copped habitual hard shots I don't think were ever deliberately and illegally targetted for dangerous tackles. Perhaps hard tackles, but not dangerous. However, McCracken and Ritson are proof that slip up, one piece of bad luck and not good management can leave a player with some serious repurcussions.

Out of that tackle, Maitua could have copped a severe concussion and a broken nose. Again, I don't think Johnson intended that, although he was 'careless' in his actions to nearly cause a serious injury to Maitua. While it didn't turn out that way, as shown with Taulapapa v McCracken the differences in technique are only slight, it comes more down to luck and we need to minimise the core actions that put these players at risk. Johnson's grading is not life threatening, he will play again, to me it's a fair serve. Personally, I think the likes of Tony Martin and other 'dangerous throw' tacklers probably deserve longer suspensions, because as McCracken has shown, there's an almighty risk of something going very wrong. The last thing we need is to see the medicab on every 2nd or 3rd week, as seemed to be the case a decade or so ago (granted, a lot of knees seemed to go a while ago so it wasn't all foul player). I can also say I have always gone for Queensland, and strongly believe Dallas Johnson is a pivotal player for the Maroons, moreso I think he's a great asset for Melbourne, another team fighting odds like my own team so a team I hope and am thankful for their success to spread the word of rugby league, as slow as the 'word' gathering pace may be it is happening. So it pains me that he is staring down the barrel, but honestly, how would it pain us all if he copped 1 or 2 weeks and Maitua copped a very serious injury out of it?

Pigskin

Juniors
well, Johnson got off

successfully downgraded

who will replace Lyon in the blues ? (before i pray his guilt is proven) ... in fact ... wait ... nobody is worse than Lyon

I HOPE LYON GETS OFF ALSO !

Oink !

wittyfan

Referee
Any shred of credibility the judiciary had went out the window tonight. :lol:

Double standards without a doubt.

Iafeta

Referee
kia ora storm said:
Johnson gets off...spot on judiciary. No intent...good job.

As normal, you are missing the point.

Careless has nothing to do with intent.

You're probably not aware as you don't seem to follow league much, but rather the ramblings of Wayne Pearce, but the gradings are

Careless - not taking care
Reckless - not taking care with high risk
Intentional - deliberately bringing on foul play

It's hard to get an intentional grading, the last I remember was your own Danny Williams. Johnson wasn't graded intentional, so intent has SFA to do with the process.

Iafeta said:

You're probably not aware as you don't seem to follow league much, but rather the ramblings of Wayne Pearce, but the gradings are

It's hard to get an intentional grading, the last I remember was your own Danny Williams. Johnson wasn't graded intentional, so intent has SFA to do with the process.

:blahb: ...thanks for the lecture...must remember to consult your wisdom next time I post.

You obviously hold grudges on past posts...:roll:

jc155776

Coach
Iafeta said:

Spot on