What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dallas Johnson key to signing frenzy

nomarg

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26217256-5018866,00.html

NRL Premiership

0,5001,7070546,00.jpg
Options ... Johnson is the key at the moment. Colleen Petch

Melbourne Storm star Dallas Johnson key to an NRL signing frenzy

By Brent Read
October 16, 2009
Melbourne Storm and Queensland forward Dallas Johnson is holidaying in Europe but a decision on whether he will move there full-time next season could have ramifications for as many as six clubs in the NRL.
The Australian is of the understanding French club Catalans Dragons has targeted Johnson as a long-term replacement for Jason Ryles, who will join Sydney Roosters in 2010.

Although the Maroons lock has another year remaining on his deal with the Storm, he has an out-clause that enables him to take up offers from Super League clubs.

While Melbourne would be reluctant to lose a player who has been an integral part of its past four grand finals, the club has well-documented salary cap problems. Allowing Johnson to join Les Catalans would ease some of that pressure and help the club retain props Jeff Lima and Scott Anderson.

That could have implications for a host of clubs. Anderson is in the sights of both the Sydney Roosters and Brisbane Broncos, while Lima is a target for the Wests Tigers. If both stay at the Storm, all three will be forced to re-evaluate their targets.

The Tigers already have a back-up plan in place. Should Lima remain at the Storm, they could turn their attention to South Sydney's Jaiman Lowe or out-of-favour Brisbane prop Joel Clinton.

Clinton has another year remaining on his deal but is known to be unhappy after falling out of favour late in the season.

The Broncos would not stand in his way if he wanted to leave.

Johnson, who is in Europe with wife Mel, is yet to make a decision on his future. However, teammate Cameron Smith said he wouldn't be surprised if Johnson decided to take up the offer from Les Catalans.

"He has indicated to all the boys if he ever played for anyone else it would not be in Australia," Smith said.

"He would never play against the Storm. I think Dallas is happy with what he's achieved in his career.

"I think he's done more than what he thought he would. He's won four State of Origin series in a row; he's been in four grand finals and won two of them; he's played for Australia.

"He's done everything anyone could ever want out of the game. Dallas is a bit of an alternative sort of guy. I think he likes the travel scene. He just got married last year with his partner Mel and he wants to do a bit of travelling.

"Like I said, it would be a huge loss but I think Dallas has realised he's achieved what he wants to do in the NRL and he's moving on to the next part of his career."

Smith, in Kangaroos camp where he took part in a sponsorship announcement that will see the Australia side wear the Movember logo on their jerseys next month when they play France, acknowledged Johnson would be almost impossible to replace.

It would also leave a gaping hole in the Queensland side. Johnson has been one of the unsung heroes for the Maroons over the past four years, playing the past 12 games in succession. His presence has coincided with an unprecedented period of success for Queensland.

"Coming from a player's perspective it would be a huge loss for us," Smith said.

"It would help the club out given the cap constraints we have got and the pressure we are under there.

"He is vital part of our machine. He's a guy that doesn't get too many raps for his football but without him I am not too sure how our seasons would have gone over the last couple.

"His defence through the middle, his clean-up work ... we certainly notice ... to get a guy that's so selfless towards his team and teammates is pretty hard to find.

"We're the ones they come to to make us aware of it if we're going to lose players. That's the good thing about the club - they let us know what's going on so it's not a shock to us."

Either way it looks like we a certain to sign another PROP! whoo hoo

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Wow, WT really are going active on the player market. What is it?

a/ extra funds have suddenly appeared with Humphrey's as CEO?

b/ the folly of the long term contracts previously entered into and hampering the club ridding itself of non performers has been exposed?

c/ Sheens, McDonnell & co fighting for their life realising the 'same old, same old' is no longer acceptable?

d/ the club quietly putting KPI's onto the team and coaching staff?

Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in the board meetings. This activity is most unusual for WT. I'd say there is more players to disappear from the roster shortly.

N.C.

Juniors
I reckon it's a little bit of all of the above... But think back to the end of 2008. I believe the phrase "cleanout" was thrown around quite a bit. Something about "tapping a few players on the shoulders". I don't think this has come from out of nowhere...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depth in the forwards is critical. No team has won a premiership with an average pack and no depth in the forwards.

I hope we ditch the Tuqiri plans and keep chasing the forwards.

Imagine having:
13 - Ellis
12 - Galloway
11 - Heighington
10 - Cayless
9 - Farah
8 - Lima
14 - Gibbs
15 - Payten
16 - Flanagan
17 - anyone

Thats much better, quality and depth wise.

We don't need to splash out big dollars on backs when we have Marshall, Lawrence, Tuiaki and Moltzen around.

Well Sheens did say after 2008 that a player clean out was on the cards. Turns out he was telling the truth. With a new look squad in 2010, no more excuses.

N.C.

Juniors
Well Sheens did say after 2008 that a player clean out was on the cards. Turns out he was telling the truth. With a new look squad in 2010, no more excuses.
Let's not get carried away. It will still be Sheens or Simmons fronting the press conference for at least another year... Excuses is what they do best.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Yeah I agree, the promised / threatened clean out is occurring. Nice though if WT actually linked the 2008-09 statement to the 2009-10 actions. That would place all on notice (eg Sheens, Simmons & McDonnell).

DanOz

Juniors

The truth is a funny thing when it comes to Sheens - the new look squad even includes old faces like Fitzhenry...

gords

Juniors
Instead of signing 10 blokes who collectively look good but for the most part are nothing special indivivually why couldnt we just sign Lima , Cayless , keep gallant and another prop signing. :shock:

Bench
Well he has signed for Catalans Dragons,does this mean Lima is staying in Melbourne?

Well he has signed for Catalans Dragons,does this mean Lima is staying in Melbourne?

yep also means melbbourne wont make the 8,they wont relize just how big of a loss dallas is until there missing tackles and no ones there to clean them up

its shocking that they value lima over dallas as well

AussieSmithy

Juniors
yep also means melbbourne wont make the 8,they wont relize just how big of a loss dallas is until there missing tackles and no ones there to clean them up

its shocking that they value lima over dallas as well

Biggest disappointment is that QLD will now keep a full bench during Origin...and they are already so hard to beat. Usually they start with 4 interchange players but when Johnson invariably gets knocked out, they are down to 3. :lol:

Martinplace

Juniors
Depth in the forwards is critical. No team has won a premiership with an average pack and no depth in the forwards.

I hope we ditch the Tuqiri plans and keep chasing the forwards.

Imagine having:
13 - Ellis
12 - Galloway
11 - Heighington
10 - Cayless
9 - Farah
8 - Lima
14 - Gibbs
15 - Payten
16 - Flanagan
17 - anyone

Thats much better, quality and depth wise.

We don't need to splash out big dollars on backs when we have Marshall, Lawrence, Tuiaki and Moltzen around.

The exception being 2005 when we won with a relative ordinary team at the time?

But agree, bring on the big units to bend their lines & drive em into the dirt. Tuqiri is a waste of money, should be upgrading the youngs guns salary then pay out for him.

DanOz

Juniors
So if Lima is no longer an option, Joel Clinton and Jaimon Lowe were apparently on the radar - I haven't heard we are talking to anyone though, maybe the Club can't move until Batman and Robin come back.

Bench
So if Lima is no longer an option, Joel Clinton and Jaimon Lowe were apparently on the radar - I haven't heard we are talking to anyone though, maybe the Club can't move until Batman and Robin come back.
Hopefully Robin gets lost and doesn't come back.

N.C.

Juniors
I thought they already did that - I mean they haven't been seen since late 2005...

Latest posts