What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dally M Coach of the year suspicious bets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleary should win it. Has a team primed for 3 straight. No coach has done it since Jack Gibson.

Didn't help Trent Robinson when he took the Roosters to back to back Premierships in 2018-19, which was the first back to back Premiers in more than 25 years. In 2018 Anthony Seibold got it, whilst in 2019 it went to Craig Bellamy.

Payten won it last year due to the turn around in the Cowboys from 2021 to 2022, so based on that, you watch Webster win it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Warriors rosters is woefull, they are a bottom 4 team that Webster somehow made a top 4 team, an incredible achievement imo

Was woeful… I don’t think many people still think they’ve got a shit roster. But definitely looked that way at the start of the year and still probably only fringe top 8 on paper once you account for the obvious rise in value of some players.

As I heard on the show Winning Time: Rise of the Los Angeles Lakers when Red Auerbach went on about Bill Fitch winning the NBA Coach of the Year Award in 1980 at an owners meeting held after the NBA finals, Lakers owner Jerry Buss retorted "Yeah, well that's some nice consolation prize you got there".

Wb1234

Referee
As I heard on the show Winning Time: Rise of the Los Angeles Lakers when Red Auerbach went on about Bill Fitch winning the NBA Coach of the Year Award in 1980 at an owners meeting held after the NBA finals, Lakers owner Jerry Buss retorted "Yeah, well that's some nice consolation prize you got there".
Gutted there’s no season 3

I was becoming an nba fan

It was such a weird way to wrap it up, all set for the return Lakers/Celtic series with the Lakers finally getting their revenge!

I think it was a combination of the fall off in viewers from season 1 to season 2 due to the SWG and SAG strikes, along with with not knowing when any shooting and writing could resumes due to the unresolved nature of those strikes, that sealed its fate. I mean you would have had surely had seasons:

1. Covering the 1985 and 1987 NBA Finals rematches with the Celtic (which the Lakers won);

2. Covering the 1988 and 1989 NBA Finals series against Detroit (with the Lakers getting the repeat in 1988, but missing the three-peat in 1989 after which Kareem retired); and

3. Covering the 1991 NBA Finals where Magic went up against MJ, and then the events leading up to Magic's retirement early during the start of the 1991-92 season.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
I think it was a combination of the fall off in viewers from season 1 to season 2 due to the SWG and SAG strikes, along with with not knowing when any shooting and writing could resumes due to the unresolved nature of those strikes, that sealed its fate. I mean you would have had surely had seasons:

1. Covering the 1985 and 1987 NBA Finals rematches with the Celtic (which the Lakers won);

2. Covering the 1988 and 1989 NBA Finals series against Detroit (with the Lakers getting the repeat in 1988, but missing the three-peat in 1989 after which Kareem retired); and

3. Covering the 1991 NBA Finals where Magic went up against MJ, and then the events leading up to Magic's retirement early during the start of the 1991-92 season.
Pat Riley’s development as a coach

I think a few nrl coaches could learn from watching westhead vs Riley

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Shouldn't the coach of the year go to the coach that achieved the most with the cattle they've got ?

The Warriors rosters is woefull, they are a bottom 4 team that Webster somehow made a top 4 team, an incredible achievement imo

It's a hard one to pin down the criteria for. We were 15th last year and at our lowest ebb. I don't think our roster is woeful,but Webster has done wonders and transformed a whole club after 12 years of misery.

I wouldn't be upset or shocked if Walters won it, however. 9th to genuine Premiership contenders. He had a lot of critics last year and has done a fine job.

And yeah, maybe Cleary should win it. The best analogy is when Karl Malone won the regular season MVP because the NBA were sick of giving it to Michael Jordan. The best coach is Ivan Cleary, because he's won two in a row and his side are looking ripe for a third. But it never turns out that way. Didn't Brad Arthur win it last year? EDIT no it was Payten.

Big Pete

Referee
I'd still have Bellamy in the conversation.

Despite losing the Bromwich Bros, Kaufusi and B. Smith in the pre-season not only does he take his team to the finals, he actually improves upon their position. Considering Papenhuyzen helped them to an 8-1 start in 2022 and barely played this season, it's a remarkable achievement. Most coaches would have comfortably missed the 8 and written it off as a 'rebuild' year.

Otherwise have no issue with recognising Cleary and Webster - they've done a fantastic job.

Someguy

First Grade
Why is there a whinge from betting agencies whenever there is even a minor suspicion of someone having inside knowledge. TAB should be allowed to choose who wins the award to avoid this situation. Remember Hiku MOTM in a losing side, when he was the only player not available to bet on.

it’s all messed up ‘insider’ betting will have the police beating your door down but betting agencies doing the dodgy or blocking bets from anyone that wins more than average is all good

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'd still have Bellamy in the conversation.

Despite losing the Bromwich Bros, Kaufusi and B. Smith in the pre-season not only does he take his team to the finals, he actually improves upon their position. Considering Papenhuyzen helped them to an 8-1 start in 2022 and barely played this season, it's a remarkable achievement. Most coaches would have comfortably missed the 8 and written it off as a 'rebuild' year.

Otherwise have no issue with recognising Cleary and Webster - they've done a fantastic job.
If the Storm win the whole thing, sure. But otherwise when you judge him on the same criteria as Websteror Walters their achievements will look better. But Bellyache is a great coach, no denying that. He deserves an HM for the year alongside O’Brien and Bennett.

Big Pete

Referee
If the Storm win the whole thing, sure. But otherwise when you judge him on the same criteria as Websteror Walters their achievements will look better. But Bellyache is a great coach, no denying that. He deserves an HM for the year alongside O’Brien and Bennett.
In the case of Walters and Webster, they've had the luxury of improved rosters and circumstances. Meanwhile Bellamy has taken a weaker roster, improved on it and put them in the final four. They'll likely get exposed, but I don't think any other coach would have achieved what Bellamy did.

O'Brien is an insult to Bellamy, O'Brien's coaching nearly sent their best player into an early retirement.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
In the case of Walters and Webster, they've had the luxury of improved rosters and circumstances. Meanwhile Bellamy has taken a weaker roster, improved on it and put them in the final four. They'll likely get exposed, but I don't think any other coach would have achieved what Bellamy did.

O'Brien is an insult to Bellamy, O'Brien's coaching nearly sent their best player into an early retirement.
Walters maybe but I don’t think anyone much was rating Webster’s roster at the start of the year. We’d lost Walsh and a bunch of others and we didn’t make any real marquee signings to replace them - Webster has achieved what he has by getting a whole bunch of guys to play career best football this year, not by importing a bunch of in form stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.