What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dally M's

Kiwi said:
Hands up those who actually take the awards seriously

:whistle

And those willing to put their hands up can then tell us why they like the media and respect their opinion.

Me NO WAY WHAT-SO-EVER.

This is effectively judged by so called experts from the Daily Terrorgraph - a comic book newspaper at best with its own agendas directed toward simpleton readers.

What ever happened to the Rothmans Medal?? I know cigarette sponsorship can't happen anymore but this was the pinnacle players award in league - call it something else. It was judged by the Referee - Best & Fairest player. The ref is out on the ground and can hear and see things going on in the game that a fat journo can't from miles away. Players talking, calling, supporting their troops etc etc.

Yes, you can see things from far away that you can't on the ground, and so the video ref could also contribute and after consultation they can come up with their 3-2-1.

I always thought the Rothmans was the true gauge of player performance and took the Dally M's with a grain of salt.

People will bag the fact that Refs are judges for obvious reasons - ie everyone loves to hate em, but they in the best position to judge a players award like this, not the like of Ray Chesterton and friends.

Dally M's are a joke, its a pity Dally Messenger has his name attached to them.

Raider_69

Post Whore
agree mate
ive been saying it ages
bring back the Rothmans medal, it had miles more credability then the current Dally M crap

brooksy19

Bench
Charlie Saab said:
yes i know all that (what relevance that has to my point is baffling)...my point was in reference to Brookys lack of knowledge in relation to his comment that votes decide who is playe of the yr in their respective positions.
Sorry Charlie, I thought that was it. Your telling me that Kent, Chesterton, Dalaye & Co just vote on it ? thats a joke of a system.

Mr Saab

Referee
brookys...add to that
Karl De Kroo
James Hooper
Barry Toohey (very biased knight)
Steve Ricketts (biased bronco)

The dally Ms have no cred as far as i am concerned.

aussies1st

Staff member
Kiwi said:
Hands up those who actually take the awards seriously

:whistle

And those willing to put their hands up can then tell us why they like the media and respect their opinion.

Give Luke Covell the Dally M and see how much respect it has :D

Darth Bobo

The biggest joke was that the highest polling Prop in the race for the Dally M's was not voted the Prop of the year. Webke was good enough to poll more regular season points than any other prop yet got overlooked for the award for that position. Does Webke play other sort of game but that of a front rower? Could he have got those points for his clever kicking or passing game? I seriously doubt it.

Not bagging Bailey, he's having a good season but I don't see how that could have overlooked Webke.

I was listening to the 2ue sports show last night on my way home, and Greg Alexander was saying that the positional awards were not based on points, but each "judge" was asked to nominate their positional choices, with all the results collated and winners worked out. Its a farce.

By judging this at the end of the season, the latter part of the season is fresher in your mind and distorts your thinking. For example, Luke Bailey's back half of the comp has been outstanding, and so he got the award. Webcke's first half of the comp was outstanding, but toward the end he hasn't been performing as well. In the end, Webcke got more points - its a contradiction. Some goes for Buderus, he was injured for a long time but played more toward the end.

The worst was Johns as rep player of the year. Minichiello won man of the series in the origin, and also played the Anzac test. WTF????

Dally M's = Telegraph Journo Wankathon.

Nonny1980

Juniors
Bring back John Fifita said:
I was listening to the 2ue sports show last night on my way home, and Greg Alexander was saying that the positional awards were not based on points, but each "judge" was asked to nominate their positional choices, with all the results collated and winners worked out. Its a farce.

By judging this at the end of the season, the latter part of the season is fresher in your mind and distorts your thinking. For example, Luke Bailey's back half of the comp has been outstanding, and so he got the award. Webcke's first half of the comp was outstanding, but toward the end he hasn't been performing as well. In the end, Webcke got more points - its a contradiction. Some goes for Buderus, he was injured for a long time but played more toward the end.

The worst was Johns as rep player of the year. Minichiello won man of the series in the origin, and also played the Anzac test. WTF????

Dally M's = Telegraph Journo Wankathon.
Agree. Mini not getting rep player was the biggest joke of the night. Worse than Anasta getting 5/8!

Kiwi

First Grade
Darth Bobo said:
The biggest joke was that the highest polling Prop in the race for the Dally M's was not voted the Prop of the year. Webke was good enough to poll more regular season points than any other prop yet got overlooked for the award for that position. Does Webke play other sort of game but that of a front rower? Could he have got those points for his clever kicking or passing game? I seriously doubt it.

Not bagging Bailey, he's having a good season but I don't see how that could have overlooked Webke.

Did Webcke actually get more points than Bailey?

Kiwi

First Grade
Charlie Saab said:
webcke finished on 17 points. The most of all props.

If thats the case, how did they justify Bailey getting dally m prop of the year? No offence to Bailey, he is a great prop, but if the points system means nothing in terms of judging who is better other than for the over all winner, then why have it?

Mr Saab

Referee
they say they dont judge players individual players by the points they recieved...which is pretty funny seeing as Thurston was voted Dally M 1/2back of the yr when he has played less games as 1/2back in 2005 than what Johns has.

johns would have nailed it by plenty..but too many missed games..ohhh well thurston can keep it warmed up till next year..
Anasta 5/8 of the year was the biggest joke of the nite...surely it was read out wrong?they just got stuck reading the wrong list..pfft..princess anasta..ha!

at times Anasta was awesome including heling hes team come back against the tigers in round 3 when he scored 2 tries in 10 mins and set up another than im sure he scored a hatrick vs the warriors too help get te dogs home in that too hes just been way too inconsistant

i would of had Barrett i think

aussies1st

Staff member
Anasta had his moments but he also had his bad moments. Barrett probably didn't poll well given Gasiner was in fine form during the resurgence of the Dragons.