What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damien Cook

Dragon David

First Grade
With the very likelihood of Damien Cook coming to the Dragons, there is the possibility of Brandon Smith taking his place at the Bunnies next year. Bennett wanted him at the Dolphins last year but Smith was in deep negotiations with the Roosters at the time and signed with them.

Bennett would know how to handle him I'm sure.

blacksafake

First Grade
With the very likelihood of Damien Cook coming to the Dragons, there is the possibility of Brandon Smith taking his place at the Bunnies next year. Bennett wanted him at the Dolphins last year but Smith was in deep negotiations with the Roosters at the time and signed with them.

Bennett would know how to handle him I'm sure.
You could be onto something there Dragon David.
I’m sure Souths would like to pinch a player of his ability from their neighbours as well.

steerlerbab

Juniors
Despite Cook's age, this is a great signing. Next year we will have 2 game managers Cook and Hunt especially in attack. At the moment our attack is very one dimensional. Mostly right side of the field with Hunt either putting a bomb or grubber for Lomax. It works against weaker opposition like tigers but against top sides it does not work.

With Cook, we will get more balanced attacks. This will bring in Flanno, Suli, Sua and Fegai more into the game.

Finally, it gives us this 2 Hooker option that Queensland SOO team has used in the last few years with great result.

Liddle plays the first 20 minutes of each half and Cook the second 20 minutes of each half.

denis preston

First Grade
Well we need someone to play hooker in NSW Cup.. Liddle and Cook I think will be 14 & 9 in 1st grade... assuming both are fit.

I thought Mulheissen has had a few good moments this year but he should have gotten better by now.. I just dont think he has enough weapons in his aresenal to be a 1st grader... id much rather go after another kid from another club, because I dont think Hjaltason is remotely near that standard yet. If Conner does stay I reckon its on a train & trial, once again we had a lot of injury luck this year but we really do need a 3rd bloke who can play hooker in and around the system.. especially if they arent 80 minute hookers.
Flanagan ?

denis preston

First Grade
I dont think there is any 10day cooling off, Souths have asked Cook to look elsewhere.. and the Souths club would have signed off on the saints offer (which includes I believe 50k paid by Souths).

That said, we will obviously let them make their announcements first etc.. there are no prizes for pissing another club off who we will have to deal with in the future.
It would have to be more than 50k. He was to be on 750k for the next 2 seasons with South’s so if we are paying 700k a year the deal doesn’t look so good for us.

True_Believer

Juniors
Imagine this - Cookie starts the game. At the 30 minute mark, he goes off and Liddell comes on. Liddell plays for the rest of the game. Cookie comes on at the 50th minute to replace Huth at lock. We've then got 4 hookers on the field. What a strategy!!! The opposition won't know what hit them!!!! /j

Nah, but seriously, I think he'll be good. I called it a few weeks ago when there was talk that Bennett would take JMK with him. I think he's probably been a little off his game because of the "JD culture" issues at Souths - the whole team has been poor. A change of environment and team mates might do him good. I think he'll add some good value over 2 years. At least buy us some time to bring through and prepare some juniors which I think is the overall focus now.

I'm all in favour of Cook for the next two seasons. He's got a great work ethic and would be a great mentor for Muhleisen or any other dummy halves we're bringing through the ranks.
I still want to see us sign a couple of real enforcers for the front row and a half-back who isn't such a weather vane - you know as soon as (C)Hunt drops his head or gets a sook on that it's all over.

justadragon

Bench
I'm all in favour of Cook for the next two seasons. He's got a great work ethic and would be a great mentor for Muhleisen or any other dummy halves we're bringing through the ranks.
I still want to see us sign a couple of real enforcers for the front row and a half-back who isn't such a weather vane - you know as soon as (C)Hunt drops his head or gets a sook on that it's all over.
Enough said NOTB, you saw the difference between a halfback and a pretend halfback last sunday.

Old Timer

Coach
I think Muhlheisen is probably not considered NRL quality and might exit our system so not sure who gets mentored and fingers crossed we don't lose Liddle for 2026.

How do you think Cook will go if we only have the current forwards running around again in 2025?