What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damien Cook

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
for me it is all about getting our attacking ruck advantage line better and a true 4th play maker option when in the opposition red zone

I think Cook delivers that with skill but he is also a great character from all reports
Cook relies on fast play the balls from big forwards so he can use his speed while the defence is back-peddling. I wish we had forwards that can generate fast play the balls. I haven't been seeing it.

Cook is a great character. What does that even mean? And the reports, where are they? I assume it just means he has kept out of trouble. Or maybe he picks wild strawberries and hyacinth for his mother now and again. I'm pretty sure Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker aren't great characters but I know who I'd rather have in my team.

Lennyb

Juniors
Great news.

Souths are a basket case ATM.

Bennett has his work cut out for him. But he tamed our degenerate board, so he will plug the holes and stop things getting leaked to the press when he takes hold.

Just need an enforcer and a winger who is actually being signed as a fullback.

Building nicely.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I get that, it's exactly what we were doing at the start of the season. I'm guessing Flanno has lost faith in Mulheisen and Nu Brown because we have been playing with 4 forwards on the bench lately. Results are about the same either way. Look I hope you're right, but Liddle playing 80 minutes isn't the reason we've been winning or losing games. From where I sit it's a lot more to do with our line speed in defence, an uninspirational captain who demands all the ball, and the inability of our forwards to get fast play-the-balls. Cook won't fix any of those.
Great post. My view exactly!

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Well we need someone to play hooker in NSW Cup.. Liddle and Cook I think will be 14 & 9 in 1st grade... assuming both are fit.

I thought Mulheissen has had a few good moments this year but he should have gotten better by now.. I just dont think he has enough weapons in his aresenal to be a 1st grader... id much rather go after another kid from another club, because I dont think Hjaltason is remotely near that standard yet. If Conner does stay I reckon its on a train & trial, once again we had a lot of injury luck this year but we really do need a 3rd bloke who can play hooker in and around the system.. especially if they arent 80 minute hookers.
I think
Well we need someone to play hooker in NSW Cup.. Liddle and Cook I think will be 14 & 9 in 1st grade... assuming both are fit.

I thought Mulheissen has had a few good moments this year but he should have gotten better by now.. I just dont think he has enough weapons in his aresenal to be a 1st grader... id much rather go after another kid from another club, because I dont think Hjaltason is remotely near that standard yet. If Conner does stay I reckon its on a train & trial, once again we had a lot of injury luck this year but we really do need a 3rd bloke who can play hooker in and around the system.. especially if they arent 80 minute hookers.
Haele Finau or Nu Brown could handle nsw cup hooking next year perhaps

BLM01

First Grade
I get that, it's exactly what we were doing at the start of the season. I'm guessing Flanno has lost faith in Mulheisen and Nu Brown because we have been playing with 4 forwards on the bench lately. Results are about the same either way. Look I hope you're right, but Liddle playing 80 minutes isn't the reason we've been winning or losing games. From where I sit it's a lot more to do with our line speed in defence, an uninspirational captain who demands all the ball, and the inability of our forwards to get fast play-the-balls. Cook won't fix any of those.
Frank M BMM and JDB do provide that fast play the ball
Only Frank did that last week or was allowed to but did not seem to get long minutes in the 2nc half probably as we were defending most of the time

BLM01

First Grade
Not feeling any joy. In 2025 we will have four players whose best position is hooker (Hunt, young Flanno, Liddle, Cook). We are potentially letting a 33 year old still playing good footy (JDB) to bring in a 32 year old not playing as well as he used to. Where is the progress? People are saying he will be good for the youngsters - what is this based on? It's just pure conjecture. He might well be more interested in prolonging his own career rather than helping the youngsters. And now people are talking about making him captain, when they only want him on the field for 40 minutes and as far as I can tell he's only captained one game for Souths.

A lot of straw-clutching going on. Cookie isn't going to change our clubs prospects one iota.
I disagree Cooks added value to our spine and quick plays yo help Liddle and bring forwards into the ball and go forward is far more than JDBs 40 min stints which can be replaced by a young or bigger forward which we will have already from another off season or we will get

TheRev

First Grade
I dont think there is any 10day cooling off, Souths have asked Cook to look elsewhere.. and the Souths club would have signed off on the saints offer (which includes I believe 50k paid by Souths).

That said, we will obviously let them make their announcements first etc.. there are no prizes for pissing another club off who we will have to deal with in the future.

TheRev

First Grade
I dont think Sloan or Kyle are guaranteed spots if we have alternatives.. right now we have absolutely nothing in terms of spine depth at the club.. even our best kids are 1-2yrs away (absolute best case).

If we somehow snagged Blaize or Holmes however.. well.. now Shane has actual options....

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
I dont think Sloan or Kyle are guaranteed spots if we have alternatives.. right now we have absolutely nothing in terms of spine depth at the club.. even our best kids are 1-2yrs away (absolute best case).

If we somehow snagged Blaize or Holmes however.. well.. now Shane has actual options....
I would roll the dice with Schuster at around the $400k mark, we have the cap space.

TheRev

First Grade
I would roll the dice with Schuster at around the $400k mark
I've been thinking about that too.. we do need a game-managing 7, but do we need a 6...... if Flanno has the relationship and thinks he can make it work.. he will go there imo.. even if it pushes Kyle out for now.. but trying to big-brain how it would all work is way above my pay grade... its a call only Flanno can make.. esp if Schuster is 6 or nothing.. surely he would have to prove himself in reserve grade, and we do have LKT (who could drop back to Flegg easily enough, hes only 19).

Its why a couple of guys like Bird and MMolo and Fifita etc.. they are chewing up Top30 slots.. they could be a problem in terms not quite leaving us enough slots to sign blokes.. but anyway.. would be fascinating if we did go down that path..

Latest posts