What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damien Cook

BLM01

First Grade
I've said it before, Cookie is (will be) an awesome signing, for many reasons.

yes, he's lost some pace, but he's smart and relatively injury free, not like some others mentioned. I cant remember at any time has there been any controversy around him also.

Looking around the different squads there's isn't anyone who would be available, that isn't injured or has some issues.

so, what would a 2yr contract do for us!

he will bring leadership and professionalsm to the squad.

it is the perfect combination of 9/14, where the intensity wouldnt drop from one to the other.

Although he may have dropped some pace, he knows when to run, which will be the perfect foil for our fullback to follow through.

However, the most important for my consideration is what he could bring as far as coaching our next level 9/14's.
Currently, our KC 9/14 rotation is CM and H Finau. Both of whom, i can't see us moving forward with (Finau maybe as a T&T, but that's all). Marschke, if he is retained (which I can't see why not), could develop into a handy 14, but would need to improve defensively (hence Cook for 2yrs).

However, I think our next hooker or 14 or both will come from the current JF team, and yes I'm projecting 2yrs into the future.
Hjaltson is the current hooker and captain. He needs guidance and professional support (again hence Cook). There is also TPH, who could be a perfect 14, if he can build his body up. I also notice that they've promoted the SGBall hooker this week in Fagalilo. So they must have some opinion of him also.

It must be remembered that Cook was an SOO standard player, so he knows what is required to get there.
Our forward pack won't be the same then either. It's evident by who we've retained and which juniors we are targeting to join the top30 or extended squads.
Lots of wheels in motion atm, some slower than others, but all are moving in the right direction. Eventually they will all come together.
Cookie has a great game in many aspects..I agree with you good signing

What he lacks compared to a Grant / Api is a deft kicking game and a Robson or Smith the ability to burrow and barge down low
Not the best at running hard into contact to break tackles...in lieu of getting hit would rather look for support
I remember many times I say pin your ears back and take em on when he darts out of dummy half and finds space only to circle back looking for someone if a tackle is coming.
Although scored a good long range try 2 weeks ago. Anyway i am still happy

BLM01

First Grade
I agree if Muhlheisen was in Flanno’s thoughts he would have been used this year by now. I however don’t think it will be the same forwards, Flanno will get a big boppa, whether it’s 2nd or 3rd choice we will see. If it was Hunt from the Sharks I wouldn’t be upset he definitely breaks the line but can’t do big minutes. JDB looks lost so I think he will add a couple as well as bringing the Couchman boys in. I think he will keep BMM & sign a couple on short term contracts waiting for the younger players like Egan & co to get ready for first grade. It’s a shame Coric has not come on this year after his knee injury as I thought he had a heap of potential.
Everyone expects big forwards to come on quick... mid 20's for a big fella to start find his feet at NRL level anyway

maestro1

Bench
Cookie has a great game in many aspects..I agree with you good signing

What he lacks compared to a Grant / Api is a deft kicking game and a Robson or Smith the ability to burrow and barge down low
Not the best at running hard into contact to break tackles...in lieu of getting hit would rather look for support
I remember many times I say pin your ears back and take em on when he darts out of dummy half and finds space only to circle back looking for someone if a tackle is coming.
Although scored a good long range try 2 weeks ago. Anyway i am still happy
Even though Cookie is post-30, all that other stuff can be learned. Speed like Cook's is rare and you either have it or you don't.
He isn't too bad in that other stuff anyways.

possm

Coach
Well, I think we can all agree that we need to freshen up our forward pack. The question is, who do we let go, and who do we sign in their place? I'll start with:

1. Bird - he is the cause of our right-hand backline defensive problems. Yes I know he is playing as a center but signed as an edge forward.
2. B Lawrie - Too many errors, too many penalties, not consistent.
3. BMM - good for only short stints off the bench.

With the salary cap of these 3 players and some of the surplus cap we currently hold, I would buy 2 marquee props. One to pair with F Molo as the bookends,, with the other to pair with De Belin off the bench.

TheRev

First Grade
I didnt see last weeks game, but im told TPH looked much better @6 than 9.. I mean this is just 1 game.. but ultimately i think he will end up a fullback.. its just waiting for BRumble to get promoted or injured...

Dragon David

First Grade
Ben Hornby says -
“For ‘Cookie’, it’s not what he wanted, but he’s made the decision now and he’s happy with it. We’re looking forward as a club and he’s looking forward to the same. This year is the most important thing for us at the moment."

It is understandable seeing that he has been at Souths since 2016. so I hope that he will want to wear the RedV jersey with pride and not just go through the motions.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
BMM is only good for 10-15 either side of HT ... It is actually a necessary role into days footy ... I wouldnt be retaining him but would be looking at an alternate .. Royce Hunt the obvious one on the market right now.
It has merit especially if we sign another important prop for larger $

BMMs stats are significantly better than Hunts

BMM can play edge if injuries strike mid game when he comes off the bench which not many 30min bench props can do

He would also take a one year at a time ie thats all we would need from BMM and JDB next season

My gut feeling is that Lawrie maybe carrying an injury as his form seems well below last year

That is still solid enough off the bench those 3...............the key is getting our first 25mins right with better field position from a better prop rotation.

Then creating the pathway for the Couchmen and Loko Tonga etc to come thru and maybe RFM goes to bench prop/SR in 2026 for the 25-30mins?