What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dane laurie?

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I just read that Daine Laurie is 6'6 (198cm) and his usual weight is 115kg. I would love for him to see first grade sooner rather than later. Having Mason and Snowden in the run on with Laurie and Fa'aoso coming off the bench would give us a far different look.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Size means little if you have no heart, desire or skill

I am stunned that people are calling for him to be included in our FG side based on his size alone. From what I saw of him playing for the Tigers and Panthers he wasnt much chop really.

Burwood

Bench
Size means little if you have no heart, desire or skill

I am stunned that people are calling for him to be included in our FG side based on his size alone. From what I saw of him playing for the Tigers and Panthers he wasnt much chop really.

Laurie is guilty of what many other players have been guilty of in the past- being a cult figure. He looks different and stands out from the crowd, therefore getting extra media coverage, so he must be a good/special player. Not always the case unfortunately.

Yosh

Coach
If he is playing crap then what's the point? If he can pick up his slack then he'd be a great asset to the club.

eozsmiles

Bench
If he is playing crap then what's the point? If he can pick up his slack then he'd be a great asset to the club.

According to the Newcastle newspaper he killed them for the Scorpions last Sunday. So he might be playing pretty good. Is bigger than Willie and was already on the books though. So if Laurie was going to play for the Knights this year I'm not sure what Willie is doing there.

aqua_duck

Coach
According to the Newcastle newspaper he killed them for the Scorpions last Sunday. So he might be playing pretty good. Is bigger than Willie and was already on the books though. So if Laurie was going to play for the Knights this year I'm not sure what Willie is doing there.

No such thing as too many big guys

Jono078

Referee
I never remember him having a shit game?

No worse than what Cuthbertson or Edwards offers us.

He's an enforcer and game changer if he wants to be as well.

I think he was unfairly targeted by refs in his early days for being so aggressive.

Can't wait to see him play FG, I know he wont disappoint. We've put up with some average front rowers over the years, Laurie wont be no where near that shit.

drago brelli

Bench
A lot of people have been asking where the hell is he but no one can verify his whereabouts
Laurie is one Bennett's 'projects'. He is a work in progress. This is code for the bloke has a stack of personal issues and that he is a loose cannon. Willie would almost fit this definition as well.

aqua_duck

Coach
He can play in spurts but he's not someone you'd want out there for more than 30 mins. Most of his dramas have been off field

The Gambler

Juniors
He was actually pretty good for the Tigers for the most part. He ran hard and had a bit of agro about him. He was let down by his lazy defence and work ethic off the field.

To be honest, the guy could be anything. He is a monster of a bloke - if anyone can make him right it would be the likes of Wayne.

Besides, the vision of the try he scored on the footy show last night was classic. He puts in this ordinary looking bomb from about 30 metres in his own territory, the defending winger spilled it forward just past half way - a Scorpions player picked up the scraps - is about to be tackled - then BAM from no where Daine Laurie is the one backing him up. I had a good chuckle.

aqua_duck

Coach
Laurie is one Bennett's 'projects'. He is a work in progress. This is code for the bloke has a stack of personal issues and that he is a loose cannon. Willie would almost fit this definition as well.

Albert Kelly is another. Bennett loves to take guys who are sometimes I guess misunderstood and see if he can use his man management skills and his standing in the game to get something out of them. Bennett has an aura about him, when he talks everyone usually shuts up and listens

aqua_duck

Coach
He was actually pretty good for the Tigers for the most part. He ran hard and had a bit of agro about him. He was let down by his lazy defence and work ethic off the field.

To be honest, the guy could be anything. He is a monster of a bloke - if anyone can make him right it would be the likes of Wayne.

Besides, the vision of the try he scored on the footy show last night was classic. He puts in this ordinary looking bomb from about 30 metres in his own territory, the defending winger spilled it forward just past half way - a Scorpions player picked up the scraps - is about to be tackled - then BAM from no where Daine Laurie is the one backing him up. I had a good chuckle.
I think if the guy can keep focus, and have a good run with injuries then there's no reason why he can't be another Fui Fui Moi Moi type personality player. The guy is a monster, and whilst he'll never play for Australia or anything he can be the type of bloke who can change a game with a big hit or big run

drago brelli

Bench
Albert Kelly is another. Bennett loves to take guys who are sometimes I guess misunderstood and see if he can use his man management skills and his standing in the game to get something out of them. Bennett has an aura about him, when he talks everyone usually shuts up and listens
So true, Aqua. I know a couple of the Dragons players who have since gone and they all loved him. Bennett walked into a pretty steady ship down in Wollongong with leaders like Cooper, Hornby, Young, Creagh and Hunt. There were no 'challenges' there for Bennett. He did look after Boyd a bit but he caused no problems.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Well I for one am not holding my breathe waiting for this guy to achieve his potential etc etc. Im not willing to pin any hopes on a guy who is a proven slack arse, running around in the local league who has had a couple of good games what, 3 years ago.

If he can even crack our NSWCup side Ill give him the time of day but until then he is just another washed up 15min'er

Latest posts