What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dane Tilse Sacked

Johns-All-Day

Juniors
Stranger said:
just one mistake..... Jumping on girls when there in there doorm... we are tought for the age of 10 about sexual harrasment and stuff like that... bloddy idiot.
Exactly. The NRL even has "education programs" in place, but I have to say that common sense should come into play even if these programs didn't exist (but thankfully they do). It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you should be on your best behaviour when representing your club, especially when pre-season trial games have been the centre of controversy for the last two years running. I know some footy players can be pretty thick, but I didn't think any of them could be this stupid.

Hurriflatch said:
In all honesty it is a good thing that Tilse was sacked but the so called senior players should have recieved bigger punishments then they did $50,000 divided between 12 players is a bit of $4,000 each unless my maths is really bad.

Now for the youngsters on around 50-75,000 that is a big deal but for a guy like K.Gidley, Hughes or Reynoldson who could well be on 250,000 and maybe even more it is no more then loose change.

The Knights handled this a lot better then the Bulldogs handled their cadse 12 mths ago but the fact there was a case that needed to be handled is the much bigger problem.

It is obvious that RL players when they get into groups simplu are too stupid to act correctly and the only soultion is to put them on as very very short leash.

- Breath Testing at training
- Curfew on all away games, based on the fact it is being reported that the players got back for curfew and waited till the monitors were asleep then went out it might be needed to lock the door and take away the players room keys and never get anything below the 4th level of a building in case some try and go out the window and I wouldn't put it past some based on reports.
- If possible leave away venue on same night as game.
- Eductate players on proper behaviour
- Get players, coaches, trainers etc (who have a brain) to "baby sit" the stupid players

Don't get me wrong what the Knights did was good but A LOT more still needs to be done.

BTW, just to clairfy I'm talking accross the board here not just Newcastle or the Bulldogs.

Seeing the club did the right thing, set a curfew and made sure the players kept it why should they pay half? fine the players the whole $100000

Alex28

Coach
The fine is fair enough with me - you are assuming that the fine has been split 12 ways evenly. There are players that did nothing more but go out for a few more schooners that may have been fined maybe $2,000 or so, and the ones at the University may have been fined more.

Half of those blokes would be lucky to be on $50K a year, so you are looking at a months pay there if they did get fined $4K for going out for a beer. How would you guys go without a pay cheque for a month?

For the liked of Hughes, Kidley and the regular first graders - it isn't much agreed. But besides breaking curfew, how do you know what else they did wrong?

*melliez*

Juniors
Half of those blokes would be lucky to be on $50K a year, so you are looking at a months pay there if they did get fined $4K for going out for a beer. How would you guys go without a pay cheque for a month?

I'm sure I heard that the fine would be split over a few months, so that wouldn't be the case.

Stranger

Coach
I still cant get over this crap. Is tilse twisted or somthin? his head not on right or somthing?

Alex28

Coach
*melliez* said:

I'm sure I heard that the fine would be split over a few months, so that wouldn't be the case.

it wasn't really my point...my point was that if i was fined 10% of my pay i would have a hard time making ends meet, and i doubt i would be the only ones here that would as well - even the ones suggesting the fines should be larger...

Kaz

junior
mat_parsons said:
But he can still play PL cause it's NSW and Roosters just love young talents.

He is deregistered, meaning he can't play for any team.

innsaneink

Referee
Kaz said:
mat_parsons said:
But he can still play PL cause it's NSW and Roosters just love young talents.

He is deregistered, meaning he can't play for any team.

Im not so sure.....I heard them on talkinsport talking about this and it seemed like he will be able to play park footy if he wants/can.
Though I really wasnt paying attention.

Kaz

junior
If this is the case, IMO if any team lets him play they should be fined $100,000 each time he plays.

Risa

Bench
I couldn't believe it when I heard he had been sacked this morning. Full credit to our club though for taking the necessary action. I applaud naming all players involved. If they didn't, the media speculation would have gone on forever. It's best we know, so we can move on...

Tilse, well I hope he can still have a future somewhere but he did bring it all on himself.

Nuffy

Bench
Let me start by saying that the club acted decisively and appropriately and therefore minimised the damage to some extent unlike some of the previous soap operas.

I also think that the club must have had solid reasons for letting Tilse go, in this age of litigation, you need to be sure of your position when you take actions like that.

Bearing all that in mind, I think the club should try to arrange a mentor to assist Tilse over the next 12 months, maybe a ex hero like Robbie whose suffered a similar public fall from grace, just to help the kid negotiate what will be a difficult 12 months. Plus the club could assist and encourage the kid to undertake some training and or community work to help him atone for his mistake.

He is only a kid that has made a terrible, potentially life changing mistake, he has to pay for his mistake but he also deserves some assistance in getting things back on track.

I would argue that many people have done some incredibly stupid things in their times, I know I have, and therefore Tilse deserves the opportunity to set things right and make up for his mistake, to prove to everyone that he is worthy of a second chance, that chance may not come at the Knights, but perhaps we can be the catalyst for change.

I know that as his employer the Knights aren't bound to help him however I'd like to think that they could informally provide some assistance to a kid that has had his world torn down in the last 48 hours.

Please, I'm not defending his actions, the club has acted correctly AND he must pay a price, however I think people sometimes do incredibly stupid things, but should they be cut loose altogether and forever or assisted to make amends for their mistakes.

Let he without sin cast the first stone.

Doctor

Bench
MrCharisma said:
Oswin said:
What I question is the Bulldogs' response to their own romp last year. The NRL deemed their incident to be, theoretically, five times worse than the Knights. Furthermore, more players were involved. Yet I don't recall any players having their contracts torn up -- why? The one response that I won't accept is that the police found no evidence of anything in the Bulldogs' scandal, because they did -- they just couldn't go ahead with what they had. This fact is on the record.

What I question is your stupidity.

It's good to see that some ill-thought insults are still doing the rounds.

How can you accuse someone of something, when they were'nt proven to have done it. You only want to hear what you want.

Don't ask me, ask the Director of Public Prosecutions, who decided there was "insufficient evidence" to charge the footballers.

The ABC put it to the Bulldogs that this did not mean they weren't guilty:

Australian Broadcasting Corporation
TV PROGRAM TRANSCRIPT
LOCATION: http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2004/s1096060.htm
Broadcast: 27/04/2004
Bulldogs will not face charges
Reporter: Stephen McDonell

ABC said:
KERRY O'BRIEN ('7:30 REPORT'): Do you accept that a police or DPP decision not to press charges on the basis that they might not be able to win a verdict in a court is not, of itself, necessarily vindication.

MALCOLM NOAD ('7:30 REPORT'): Look, I think, you know, as I said, they've just been through a two-month investigation. If they can't come up with any charges then I think that has to be total vindication.

KERRY O'BRIEN: Total vindication?
MALCOLM NOAD: Total vindication, yeah.

Countless times in history, the guilty have walked free because of insufficient evidence. In this case, the police themselves said that something did happen, they just couldn't prove it in court.

Bulldogs investigation ends with no charges laid
The World Today - Wednesday, 28 April , 2004 12:30:00
Reporter: Michael Vincent

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2004/s1096544.htm

ABC said:
Reporter: Do you believe something happened in Coffs Harbour?
Detective Chief Inspector Jason Breton: Absolutely. That's why for 10 weeks we worked at almost, you know, 18 hours a day for 10 weeks. The detectives at Coffs Harbour and from State Crime Command worked vigorously to work on finding out the truth behind this matter.

Why would they chew up so many man-hours on a case that had no substance? Furthermore, why troll on this forum in the hope of ruffling a few feathers?

ibeme

First Grade
Oswin said:
Don't ask me, ask the Director of Public Prosecutions, who decided there was "insufficient evidence" to charge the footballers.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2004/s1096544.htm

Ok. Let's see what the DPP's findings were, based on the documents the ABC obtained from the DPP's office. For the record, "insufficent evidence" is always the term used when an investigation fails to backup the inital compaint.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2004/s1100045.htm

ALISON CALDWELL: The documents paint a picture of an immature and disturbed young woman, a group of young men who were prepared to exploit her, and a code of conduct which is worthless.

The young woman claimed she'd been raped by up to six Bulldogs players at the pool at the Pacific Bay Resort early Sunday morning on the 22nd of February.

But it was decided that, based on the available evidence, it wouldn't have been possible to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a sexual assault took place. According to the documents, even the opportunity for gang rape to have occurred that morning, didn't exist.

The medical evidence and photographs of the young woman's body were inconsistent with the treatment she claimed to have received from a group of players that day.

Oswin said:
ABC said:
Reporter: Do you believe something happened in Coffs Harbour?
Detective Chief Inspector Jason Breton: Absolutely. That's why for 10 weeks we worked at almost, you know, 18 hours a day for 10 weeks. The detectives at Coffs Harbour and from State Crime Command worked vigorously to work on finding out the truth behind this matter.

Why would they chew up so many man-hours on a case that had no substance? Furthermore, why troll on this forum in the hope of ruffling a few feathers?

Detective Chief Inspector Jason Breton is currently the subject of an inquiry into the way he handled this case in the media.

Hero

Juniors
Kaz said:
If this is the case, IMO if any team lets him play they should be fined $100,000 each time he plays.

Yeah and I don't think he has the money to do this.

stuke

Bench
i applaud the Knights management for taking a stand on this.

this might make some players finally wake up to themselves, because not much else seems to have worked before.

the Knights can at least be seen by the public to not accept this behaviour and I believe will help them move onward from this situation that some idiots have put them in.

might also do Tilse good to get a 'real' job and experience what the majority of us do in the workforce. then again....

Latest posts