What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Anderson to coach Parra???

Avenger

Immortal
I have a heard a strong rumour that Daniel Anderson may be the coach of Parra next year with Smith going to a Co-ordinator type role. Its only a rumour but I thought I would post it anyway. It would maybe explain why players like Josh Davis, the Perenara brothers and PJ Marsh have all been linked with Parra. My tip is that he may be in an assistant role soon with him taking over when Smith's contract expires. It actually may be a good idea. Our senior players know Anderson and would be comfortable signing long term contracts post- Smith.

Avenger

Immortal
Belly in Brisvegas said:
Will he be as forgiving to his brother when he leaves the 7's jerseys on the bus!!!!

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Apparently Gareth was in charge of our jerseys at the 7's this year and left them on the bus which is why we had to play our first game in the Widnes jerseys.

strider

Post Whore
The Warriors went from... Grand Finalists (2002) to Preliminary Finalists (2003) to damn near wooden spooners (2004) under Anderson's coaching

Are people happy with this? Their quality of players never fell, they just lost the plot....I have no idea who is to blame, but most of our supporters are dirty on our current coach for better performances than this.

Iafeta

Referee
Ando performed a minor miracle with us. Him and Mick Watson primarily took the Warriors from near on insolvency to being a highly successful on field club as well as a fairly well disciplined and the most profitable club in the NRL.

However, for some reason Ando changed things this year. There's an old motto, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. In some ways I noticed some of these things coming in during the middle of last year actually, it was quite apparent against your club over here where the Eels won;

* A very narrow attack. For some reason he wanted to steer clear of the wide offloads onto deep running centres chests, something that Ali Lauitiiti and Sione Faumuina thrived upon.

* A horrendously compressed defence that never adjusted to read players like Brad Fittler and Darren Lockyer who have the passing game to go around them.

* A poor defensive speed line. The previous year the Warriors in their own 10m zone were one of the best defensively. They built up a strategy of moving a lot quicker than they had in the past off the line which gave the likes of Richard Villasanti all momentum to hit a crushing tackle, or at the very least gain parity in the play the ball area. This year it is horrifically slow, meaning because they are going up very slowly and stopping, they generally find themselves unable to dominate in the tackle as they have no momentum. Basically the offensive player if tackled usually goes to his chest, which allows him a quick ruck. The defenders usually to avoid a penalty (we are the most penalised club this year coincidentally) have to roll to the side. As the penalties show we haven't done that because physically losing our marker defence has killed us.

* A reliance on individualism. It seemed the Warriors fell into the catch of Stacey will fix it. Unfortunately Stacey was not injury free this season and that crushed them. They relied on his brilliance to spark something. Problem was, Stacey lives off three things two of which are phased out by our tactics: A: Set moves, I remember many instances of a deep set backline where Stacey would work with Lance Hohaia or Brent Webb to feed the ball to a deep Ali Lauitiiti, from there he's near impossible to stop in a dominant position because of his excellent footwork. Stacey would then get in a position to play second phase footy, with a staggered defensive line and an arsenal of short passes/kicks, a good self offloading game and a good accelerator Stace was dynamic and won the Golden Boot award. B: That second phase play, he'd wreak havoc going forward against a not set defensive line, Ali Lauitiiti and Sione Faumuina provided this C: His short kicking game which he still possesses. Effectively now he's working off 1/3rd his natural talents, which reflects in his try assists/line break assists tallies this season. The reason I bring up the Parra game last year is because Sione Faumuina practically near on won that game on his own in 10 minute spell in probably the most lethal burst I've personally seen in the flesh by a backrow interchange player.

* Fitness. Ando's idea this year was to bulk up, and bulk up big time. The Warriors lost their natural speed and it cost them dearly.

All of a sudden we had the illusion that guys like Clinton Toopi, Ali Lauitiiti and Francis Meli for example, raw natural talents had suddenly lost all that ability. All three struggled horrendously with their stamina at the beginning of the season, Toopi's weight had caused him to lose so much speed at times he was back being interchanged as a backrow forward. The players apparently lost all faith in all the changes, for instance against St-George in round 2? where the Warriors were expected to not be troubled against a weakened Saints line up, apparently at half time he said the players looked like they were not mentally there and weren't actually taking in what he was saying to him. Problem was, all these new found Australian/Great Britain style structures he suddenly implemented were foreign to them. They wanted to play their own style which they had learnt how to make successful, but for some reason Daniel prohibited this this season which led to his ultimate demise.

I know Daniel was practically lined up signed sealed and delivered to be the Southern Orcas coach, but obviously that has fell through. It wouldn't surprise me to see him back at Parramatta. On the Josh Davis thing though, wasn't he signed either earlier this year while Daniel was coaching the Warriors or last year again while he was coaching the Warriors? Mere coincidence.

One thing Daniel should feel enormously proud of, and New Zealand should be eternally grateful for was his work with Cullen Sports to put programs and structures in place for the juniors of New Zealand (The Warriors have a 30,000 junior pool, the biggest Sydney base I believe is Penrith with 6,000) to come through. Players like Iafeta Paleaaesina, Jerome Ropati, Tevita Latu, Louis and Vinnie Anderson, Manu Vatuvei, Cooper Vuna have all been products of the initial phase. Obviously it is going to take a bit of time but I'm of the firm belief the foundations and junior competitions he put in place will one day pay off big time for the Warriors and the Kiwis.

Good luck to Ando wherever he goes, if he's learnt from the structural changes he brought in this season he's one of the smartest coaches out in terms of creating programs to enable youngsters to achieve excellence.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
strider said:
The Warriors went from... Grand Finalists (2002) to Preliminary Finalists (2003) to damn near wooden spooners (2004) under Anderson's coaching

Are people happy with this? Their quality of players never fell, they just lost the plot....I have no idea who is to blame, but most of our supporters are dirty on our current coach for better performances than this.

I raised this point when his name was suggested previously

He doesn't have a very good track record in the NRL

PJ Marshal

Coach
kiwis are lazy thats the problem, they are like children when they get bored with something they get shits with it, hence the NZ Warriors in 04. Warriors players have always been lazy its just Ando for those golden 3 years got their arses into gear, but after a while they got the jack of it and played like crap and ultimatley led to getting him the sack!

Iafeta

Referee
Twizzle said:
strider said:

I raised this point when his name was suggested previously

He doesn't have a very good track record in the NRL

I still think taking a club with 5 signed players, no facilities (he slept on the office floors for quite some time, made the players lunches) and took the club to its first finals series, won them a minor premiership, took them to a grand final, took them one game shy of the grand final the following year is someone who can claim to be damn successful. 2004 has been a disaster for Ando, the changes he brought in were unnecessary.

Its basically the same as someone taking an expansion club in their first year, signing all the players up, relying on junior depth in a lot of cases, living in the office headquarters on the floor, and from there going to a grand final, winning a minor premiership, two other finals series with one being one game shy of the grand final - that'd be one hell of an achievement which is exactly what Ando did.

In all seriousness, in 2001 what were the odds for the Warriors to make the 8? They were favourites for the spoon. In 2002 they were not favoured to make the 8. They won the minor premiership and at 60 minutes were winning the grand final.

He also coached the Kiwis to one hell of a victory over Australia, and most importantly of all, along with the likes of Don Mann and Mick Watson and the ARL and NZRL developed junior competitions and programs to highlight and develop the juniors of New Zealand. Participation rose, the ability of juniors coming into the Warriors were of a far higher quality than ever before, I think the true definer of his success here won't come for another 10 years. The foundations he has set in place are absolutely terrific.

Overall, apart from 2004 for obvious reasons, Daniel Anderson should be amazingly proud of what he achieved for the Warriors.

Iafeta

Referee
PJ Marshal said:
kiwis are lazy thats the problem, they are like children when they get bored with something they get sh*ts with it, hence the NZ Warriors in 04. Warriors players have always been lazy its just Ando for those golden 3 years got their arses into gear, but after a while they got the jack of it and played like crap and ultimatley led to getting him the sack!

Not quite true. Why do Joe Galuvao, Tony Puletua, Ruben Wiki etc strive for excellence in league? Why has the All Blacks got a proud tradition of winning 75% or so against Australia? If New Zealanders are lazy, why on earth was one the first bloke to conquer the unconquerable, Mt Everest? Why was a Kiwi not too lazy to stop from becoming the first person to split an atom? If New Zealanders were lazy, how did they plot their Americas Cup success over the Yanks? Why do they succeed in yachting, a physically demanding sport?

Thats a huge, and totally unfair AND unfounded generalisation.

Its got nothing at all to do with laziness, they did everything that was asked of them all bulking up considerably. The tactics Ando wanted to bring in were not the New Zealand style they were used to. They were completely foreign to them and not a chance of working.

PJ Marshal

Coach
Iafeta said:
PJ Marshal said:
kiwis are lazy thats the problem, they are like children when they get bored with something they get sh*ts with it, hence the NZ Warriors in 04. Warriors players have always been lazy its just Ando for those golden 3 years got their arses into gear, but after a while they got the jack of it and played like crap and ultimatley led to getting him the sack!

Not quite true. Why do Joe Galuvao, Tony Puletua, Ruben Wiki etc strive for excellence in league? Why has the All Blacks got a proud tradition of winning 75% or so against Australia? If New Zealanders are lazy, why on earth was one the first bloke to conquer the unconquerable, Mt Everest? Why was a Kiwi not too lazy to stop from becoming the first person to split an atom? If New Zealanders were lazy, how did they plot their Americas Cup success over the Yanks? Why do they succeed in yachting, a physically demanding sport?

Thats a huge, and totally unfair AND unfounded generalisation.

Its got nothing at all to do with laziness, they did everything that was asked of them all bulking up considerably. The tactics Ando wanted to bring in were not the New Zealand style they were used to. They were completely foreign to them and not a chance of working.

Why.........

Becuase they all left NZ and the laid back life style, mate ive got nothing against kiwis, love em but they are so laid back when they are at home

Iafeta

Referee
Hillary was a homeboy so to speak but still conquered Everest. The All Blacks regularly conquered from NZ. So did Team NZ. I work for a company that employs 40% Kiwis, and I can say those blokes give their 100% each and every day in a lot of hard physical labour.

SOME are lazy, but then again so are some Australians. Thats just a madly unrealistic generalisation.

PJ Marshal

Coach
Ive just seen NZ Rugby League players as generally lazy players who are unmotivated and have been wasting thier potentials. Is it any wonder Ali got out of there

its just my view point and mate i respect your views as well!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Iafeta, don't take this as an insult.....but i generally believe what the Kiwis biggest problem in League is " Attention to detail", they are all physical great....but!!!! fitness and attention to detail is lacking, Anderson was able to rectify this somewhat......but it has come back>

Utey

Coach
I dont think thats true at all. I always liked how the warriors played howvere anderson did wat smith did in 2002 and changed what was working.

Phillips

Referee
i'd take Anderson anyday, he is a great coach....im not blaming him for the warriors slump this yr, although i disagreed when the Warriors let Lauitiiti go (not sure if it was Andersons doing btw)