What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Anderson to take over from Brian Smith

eloquentEEL

First Grade
I'm not sure Daniel Anderson is the best person to be bringing in. Wasn't the NZ downfall related to Anderson's difficulty with getting the team to work well together with different personalities, etc? At the same time, I'm not sure that I agree with him being a BS clone. For a start, he seems a lot more emotional. Also, it was interesting to note that Parra's 2001 attacking game (when Anderson was assistant and Parra) appeared to be transferred to NZ in 2002 (when Anderson was their head coach) whilst Parra's attack started being very bland and boring from 2002 onwards. In 2005 we've only just started seeing a bit of creativity coming back into it, but I think most of that has just been Timmy doing his thing.

Avenger

Immortal
Trust me, Daniel Anderson would jump at the job if he were asked. There are a quite a few current players that admire Ando. PJ Marsh, Hindmarsh, Cayless, Vella and co are all Anderson supporters. He however would more then likely bring Thomas Leaulai with him, which would destabilise our team and the long term future of Tim Smith.

If it were up to me I would give the job to Shane Flanagan for 2 years. If Flanagan fails I would go all out for Gould or Sheens in 2008 and beyond. Brian Smith however must stay in some type of capacity in our club. His contributions in spotting junior talent and giving us the best setup must be rewarded. That is why Gould may be an option as he gets on very well with Smith. The stumbling block is that Denis Fitzgerald gets on with hardly anyone.

shiftysmith

Juniors
Avenger said:
Trust me, Daniel Anderson would jump at the job if he were asked. There are a quite a few current players that admire Ando. PJ Marsh, Hindmarsh, Cayless, Vella and co are all Anderson supporters. He however would more then likely bring Thomas Leaulai with him, which would destabilise our team and the long term future of Tim Smith.

If it were up to me I would give the job to Shane Flanagan for 2 years. If Flanagan fails I would go all out for Gould or Sheens in 2008 and beyond. Brian Smith however must stay in some type of capacity in our club. His contributions in spotting junior talent and giving us the best setup must be rewarded. That is why Gould may be an option as he gets on very well with Smith. The stumbling block is that Denis Fitzgerald gets on with hardly anyone.
tim smith would never be under pressure from leaulai,smith has shown enough in his first year of first grade to be in the number 7 jersy for many years to come.

Avenger

Immortal
I agree with you. In my opinion its.

Number 1. Johns
Number 2. Prince
Number 3. Tim Smith.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Leuluai could destabilise the team without necessarily being in the number 7.

IF (that's a big if too) Anderson came, and IF he brought Leuluai with him (and IF we assume he would favour Leuluai), he could place Leuluai in the number 6 or 9, and tell the team to focus their attack through Thomas.

And Avenger that's a reasonable list IMO.

Except where's Gower? I think for inspirational value alone he should be there.

Also, I think Smith is better than Prince.

Hurriflatch

Referee
and just because Tim Smith is the better option doesn't mean he'll get picked

Brian Smith had his favorites who at times during the year form was worse then that of other options yet they still got picked in 1st grade.

Leuluai may be given the same advantages.

also as has been said Anderson would just be another Brian Smith with everyone sprouting the notion that a fresh start is needed well then Anderson is close to the worst possible option.

Matt Elliott, D.Anderson, Sharp, Reddy and JT should all not be the new coach if a "fresh start" is wanted.

One option I haven't seen mentioned and might by some be considered to be out of left field is Joe Grima.

Redback71

First Grade
I'd rather Daniel Anderson then J.T

J.T has won nothing but hopefully the PL boys get up

At least Anderson has taken the Warriors to a Grand Final

well he has now deufus

Eelementary

Post Whore
All this talk about being a 'Brian Smith clone'...Is it really THAT bad?

Think about it - we all know that, given a quality team, Smith (during the regular season) sure knows how to get the Eels to the top.

Naturally, an Eels clone would so similar.

And when you consider that JT took the Premier League team to victory, and he was actually there in 2001 as a player...Well, if he had Brian's coaching ability but with his own personality and preparation tactics, he'd be a mighty good coach.

Especially because he has a good rapport with the younger players.

WA Eel

Juniors
Eelementary said:

Think about it - we all know that, given a quality team, Smith (during the regular season) sure knows how to get the Eels to the top.

And when you consider that JT took the Premier League team to victory, and he was actually there in 2001 as a player...Well, if he had Brian's coaching ability but with his own personality and preparation tactics, he'd be a mighty good coach.

Brian Smith is the new Warren Ryan in that everyone´s either a clone, played under him or coached under him! I mean just off the top of my head you have Nathan Brown (played under him), Peter Sharp (assistant before going to Manly), Daniel Anderson (assistant before going to NZ), Matt Elliot (assistant in England), Tony Smith (played under him and is his brother, ESL), Jason Taylor (played under him). Other names which have been thrown up are Jim Dymock and Dean Pay, both of whom have played under him. I think those people out there who want to exclude everyone with Brian Smith links to the 2007 coaching job will have a very short list of applicants.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Let's take JT as an example.

If he has a similar coaching style to Brian, then during the regular season that can only be good.

If he can use his different personality and abilities to rev up the team differently during the finals series - I mean, as good as Brian is, he wasn't there playing alongside Wags, Hindy, Micky V, Burty, Caylo and co. in 2001 - and Jason Taylor was.

He also is a different person - so one would assume his tactics to rev up teams would differ from those of Brian Smith.

WA Eel

Juniors
Spot on Eelementary. I like JT as coach simply because even as a player, he´s always had a great footy brain. I mean a bloke as small and slow on his feet as he is doesn´t not only survive for over 10 years in the top grade, but always dominates the team he plays in without having being very quick between the ears. On top of that, his record for the greatest number of consecutive first grade games played demonstrates a certain degree of toughness and commitment.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think JT has one massive advantage over Brian.

he was THERE in 2001 as a PLAYER.

He KNOWS what it's like to play in and lose a Grand Final. What it's like to play finals football.

Brian probably last played in a Grand Final several years ago.

Also, Jason played alongside many current Eels players - so he has a strong rapport and respect with them.

And as we all know, being the Premier League coach, he presumably has a great bond with our Premier League talent.

Would it be so bad to have him at the helm? I don't know.

I would be all for giving it a shot.

I like Jason Taylor as a man and a player. And he obviously has a good brain, leading the Premier League boys to victory.

bartman

Immortal
Why would Leuleuai come with Anderson? I know he picked him for NZ when he was coaching, but is there any more to their relationship than that?

I'd be surprised if Fitzgerald and his board chose to re-introduce someone into the club that's been away a while and risk upheaval. Much easier for them to promote JT from within, which would also encourage the juniors who play under him to hang around?

pk76

Juniors
Eelementary said:

I totally agree. I was going to post something similar but glad you did.

I am bit perplexed about all this hysteria about BS clone. Guys, we have one of the best on and off-field structure in NRL due to BS. Why would you want a coach who is not familar/wants a different system for 2007 when 1) we already underwent a rebuilding year 2) we have JT who is familar with system and will also bring his own perspective??

Guys, I respect your right to your opinion about BS, but this anti hysteria is irrational.

PB

Bench
I would be suprised if Anderson came back.

He met with Fitz last off season, for what he thought was going to be a discussion on how much he would be paid to coach the Eels. It turned out to be a job interview for the Assistant coach role (which Sharp ended up taking), and he walked away pee'd off to say the least.

HevyDevy

Coach
Daniel has told me many times he'd love to coach the Eels if the opportunity ever came around to do so, and I have no doubt that he will coach them one day. He is still in regular contact with a lot of people at the club and is held in very high regard. Rightly so too.

He turned the Warriors from a rabble into a GF side in two seasons and is among the most technically proficient coaches in the game.

Incidentally, the problems at the Warriors stemmed largely from the CEO so don't blame Daniel for what happened there. he certainly had a personality clash with some of the Kiwi players but that's why they failed in the end - they refused to listen to him.

Daniel or JT, both could do a good job but I'd like to see Daniel Anderson in the job at some stage personally.

Latest posts