What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Anderson

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yup, was broken by 2GB at midday.

Can't find anything online yet.

Iafeta

Referee
It'd be no surprise. The culture of that club is rancid. Unless you are Wayne Bennett or have an unsinkable bank balance like Craig Bellamy, it usually takes time to get the team playing the way you want it. Every coach who seems to go to Parramatta seems to be treading lightly waiting for the bullet. If that's their prerogative, they either need to sign the doyen in Bennett, or they need to change their boards hiring and firing philosophy. Too many politics involved with that joint.

Anderson is a very good coach. The turn around he instituted in Auckland was fantastic. Poor coaches don't achieve what he did there. He then went to St Helens and had a fantastic career there, earning accolades in the sporting community including from memory something like the UK Coach of the Year. First year back here he guides them to the Grand Final. Next year he's gone? That'd be rank bad management if true and only IMO consigns them to more failures, particularly as no one would trust the board given the denials surrounding lining Kearney up to replace him.

Loudstrat

Coach
It could be a good move if..........

Anderson was wonderful with the Warriors. He had us playing our most solid footy since Ray Price wore the jumper when we had our late season rampage last year. If we had won the comp - i dont think he'd be in trouble now. Trouble is, last year he simply let Hayne do his thing on a free leash. This year he didn't train the others to actually work with him, and 26 rounds of "give it to Jarryd" just wasn't good enough.

But they have to replace him with someone better. Not a f*cking dope like Kearney.

With Ray Price on the board, they will constantly change things until they get it right. I remember when he got on the board in the early 90's and started bagging Cronin for poor performances. Crow wasn't a bad coach, but he wasn't Jack Gibson.

One other point - we often underachieved before - especially under Brian Smith - and the club did nothing. At least they are doing something this time.

El Diablo

Post Whore
It'd be no surprise. The culture of that club is rancid. Unless you are Wayne Bennett or have an unsinkable bank balance like Craig Bellamy, it usually takes time to get the team playing the way you want it. Every coach who seems to go to Parramatta seems to be treading lightly waiting for the bullet. If that's their prerogative, they either need to sign the doyen in Bennett, or they need to change their boards hiring and firing philosophy. Too many politics involved with that joint.

errr Smith was coach for 10 years

Neither Smith or Hagan were sacked by Fitzgerald

Anderson would probably be the first coach sacked. that wouldn't be Fitzgerald's doing though as he was ousted

applesauce

Bench

Anderson is a very good coach. The turn around he instituted in Auckland was fantastic. Poor coaches don't achieve what he did there. He then went to St Helens and had a fantastic career there, earning accolades in the sporting community including from memory something like the UK Coach of the Year. First year back here he guides them to the Grand Final. Next year he's gone? That'd be rank bad management if true and only IMO consigns them to more failures, particularly as no one would trust the board given the denials surrounding lining Kearney up to replace him.

100%

Hit the nail on the head.

Timmah

Staff member
The rumours reported by Ray Hadley on 2GB were:

- Daniel Anderson has been asked to "resign or be punted" by Tuesday
- If he doesn't resign, they'll threaten to reveal allegations by a former player, whom Hadley named as Feleti Mateo, of racial vilification by Anderson toward players.

Loudstrat

Coach
No Parramatta coach has ever been sacked. Provan, Peard, Hilditch and Smith were simply not resigned (Smith quit in a tantrum - our only ever quitter from that role). Fearnley, Gibson, Monie, Taylor and Hagan decided to move on.

Loudstrat

Coach
The rumours reported by Ray Hadley on 2GB were:

- Daniel Anderson has been asked to "resign or be punted" by Tuesday
- If he doesn't resign, they'll threaten to reveal allegations by a former player, whom Hadley named as Feleti Mateo, of racial vilification by Anderson toward players.

I find that hard to believe - given the Tahu indcident. If Tahu left the blues - why did he come back for the Eels? I hope I am not proven wrong - although think it's odd that Mateo would go and them promise to come back.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Sacking the coach will achieve nothing. They are a one man side lacking a quality, half, five-eighth and hooker.

Until they fill these positions with quality players, they will remain a basketcase.

Iafeta

Referee
No Parramatta coach has ever been sacked. Provan, Peard, Hilditch and Smith were simply not resigned (Smith quit in a tantrum - our only ever quitter from that role). Fearnley, Gibson, Monie, Taylor and Hagan decided to move on.

You can term it however you want. The coach moves on because he feels too much pressure from the board. The board didn't show enough interest in keeping him. Parramatta need a super-coach for that coach to feel secure in his position. IMO, Parramatta have/had the makings of one in Anderson. Forgetting the Mateo rumours, it'd be Reagan clicking yes on dispatching Nukes on Moscow, too much of a sensitive move before really going through the process.

Skinner

Coach
If it is true (and I really don't doubt it) then Parramatta are an extremely foolish club. He took them to the GF last year...but it fell over this year. I don't know the reason it fell over, but I feel that not a lot of the problem was Ando himself. I'm thinking along the lines of too much interference at board and CEO level, maybe a dummy spitting pima donna or two...who knows.

I've always claimed that DA is a clever coach rather than a good coach. I base that on the fact that he had only been with the Warriors for a very short time when he allowed the Warrior players, particularly the polynesians, to take their own lead...razzle dazzle etc, and boy did it work. His biggest problem at the Warriors was interference by the cheating CEO, Mick Watson.

I spent a little bit of time with Ando in his last year in Auckland when he was with NZRL....there is no doubt that he is a real enigma as a person. One day full of beans, next day hardly says a word. But likeable for all that.

When I first got into Rugby League administration, all those years ago I was astounded that clubs really are run on emotion as opposed to hard data. I note that Parra hasn't broken the mold yet

Timmah

Staff member
http://leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=20066

Parramatta Eels: Statement

THE Pirtek Parramatta Eels and departing forward Feleti Mateo wish to deny claims on radio this morning that there was any racial vilification issue between Mateo and coach Daniel Anderson.

Mateo said today: “I have been told about a report on radio saying that I had complained about a racial issue regarding Daniel, and that it had been brought up in discussion about the coaching situation at the club.

“That is absolutely not true. I spoke with Ando today to clarify this and there is no issue. There has been no racial comments that have upset me, let alone been anything I have complained to the club about. Nothing of the sort has anything to do with me leaving to play with the Warriors.

“What the club does on the coaching front, or anything to do with the board and management, has nothing to do with me and I am disappointed my name has been brought into this.”

Eels CEO Paul Osborne said, “No issue between Feleti and Daniel has ever been raised with the Club and suggestions to the contrary are completely false. I've spoken to Daniel today and it's the first either of us had heard of this supposed complaint. It didn't happen.“

Amidst the speculation about the coaching position, Osborne can confirm that a review of the season has now been completed and will be presented to the board this week for consideration. No further comment will be made.

Sacking the coach will achieve nothing. They are a one man side lacking a quality, half, five-eighth and hooker.

Until they fill these positions with quality players, they will remain a basketcase.

Agree 100%. The board is looking for a scapegoat, and easy fix. Getting rid of one bloke who bleeds blue and gold and took us to the GF last year is not the answer.

Latest posts