What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Wagon

Redback71

First Grade
there's been a lot of talk about wagon's ability to play five eigth, ive got the 2004 nrl season handbook and this is what it had to say about wagon.

wagon.jpg

eels player of the year in 2003. another who leads by example with a high work rate. ultra reliable and is inevitably the man who pops uo to save a try with some last ditch defence. A strong back-rower but can play five-eigth at a pinch.

Hows that Suity.

Eelectrica

Referee
Opposition coach game planning for Wags at 5/8th:
"When Wagon get's the ball just tackle him and anyone that falls for a dummy is walking home."

half

Coach
hahaha. he was so good last season the qlders didn't choose him out of general fears he would've made the origin series too one-sided

The Godfather

Juniors
Redback71 said:
eels player of the year in 2003. another who leads by example with a high work rate. ultra reliable and is inevitably the man who pops uo to save a try with some last ditch defence. A strong back-rower but can play five-eigth at a pinch.

Hows that Suity.

eels player of the year in 2003 because all the good ones had long-term injuries. another who gets picked because he's the coach's pet. ultra reliable to run sideways and is inevitably the man who prevents us from scoring a try by being too slow for the defence. A back-rower who can't get a run in the pack and has to play 5/8 to avoid Premier League

Parraren

Bench
The Godfather said:
eels player of the year in 2003 because all the good ones had long-term injuries. another who gets picked because he's the coach's pet. ultra reliable to run sideways and is inevitably the man who prevents us from scoring a try by being too slow for the defence. A back-rower who can't get a run in the pack and has to play 5/8 to avoid Premier League

Oooh very harsh, but some truths in there perhaps...

Hurriflatch

Referee
That season guide also said Wagon is 197cm making him the 2nd tallest player in the NRL after Parsons (200cm)

Redback71

First Grade
can say that again what with bagging players who where blue and gold in my opinion thats one of the 7 deadly sins. :twisted: :evil:

Hurriflatch

Referee
who r u refering to excatly?

but I do agree with you a few years ago regardless of what he did Irvine got bagged as being Smithy's pet.

Then it was Ben Kusto

Then in the Dykes/Wagon

now that Dykes has hit form it is just Wagon.

I'm not saying I havn't bagged some of these players but in saying that if they have done well I've also given them due wraps. Some people seem unable to get past the perceived Smithy's pet syndrome to see that Wagon has been a very good player for the Eels.

Defensivly he is within the Eels top 3 players and in some books the Eels best overall defensive player.

He has done some good things in attack ok he hasn't sent any 3 man cutpout passes or put through a banana kick but neither have a lot of other players including 5/8ths.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
The Godfather said:
Redback71 said:

Hows that Suity.

Thats who i'm reffering to Hurriflatch

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
yea, :roll: bubsy was smithy's pet, right up until the point he dumped him, took him back because he played for peanuts, then dumped him again :roll: :roll:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hurriflatch said:
now that Dykes has hit form it is just Wagon.

Dykes has played how many good games in two years, ONE.

And all of a sudden he is our form player.

I don't think so.

Avenger

Immortal
Twizzle wrote:

Dykes has played how many good games in two years, ONE.

And all of a sudden he is our form player.

I don't think so.

Twizzle has a very valid point. However everyone is excited with him and have started to accept him because he has for once started a season with us injury free. He also has played over 150 1st grade games and is one of our most experienced players.

Now with Wagon, I like the man but I firmly believe that his best days are past him and we only re-signed him as a reward for many years of good service. I hope I'm wrong.

Suitman

Post Whore
Pull your head in Redback.

I like Wagon as a forward. He is a joke as a 5/8th. Thats all I have ever said.
Yes I have made jokes about him sitting in Bay whatever in the stand, but I'll reiterate my stance once more for the dummies.

Wagon is not a 5/8th. And as someone else said today.......we will not win the comp with Wagon as 5/8th.

Now if the 2004 NRL handbook says that and you believe it...well good luck to it.
I just happen to disagree.

If you need some NRL handbook to make you feel better about parra players, so be it.

I have an opinion of my own.

Suity

Eelementary

Post Whore
1. When was the last time Wags was in top form?

2. Why are we playing a very solid lock at 5/8 when we have other options?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I have no concerns if Wagon DEFENDS at #6, but we need at least two creative players in attack. And he can cope, but is not really the best solution.

Pazza

First Grade
If Smith wants a hard defencive player to play 5/8 why wont he trail Muspratt in that position? He is very solid and has a much better pass on him than Wagon.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I haven't a clue.

However, I don't think Brian will jeopardise our First Grade possibilities with Wags at 5/8 with Thorman, Pai and Muspratt so able to fill in. I think it's a trial thing.

Pazza

First Grade
Wagon appeared at 5/8 back in the finals seriers of 2000. Its abit beyond a trail.

Mr_E

Juniors
Here's a possibility, maybe the real trial here is the forwards.

Wagon has been moved to 5/8 for the trials to try out different combinations of players in the forward pack. Being as how we have an oversupply of forwards this year maybe BS is using this time to find out where they would fit in the best. Don't get me wrong people Wagon is not a 5/8, by no stretch of the imagination, but for these few games we can afford to have him out of his better position (lock) to test some other guys.

Just a thought.

_goParra

Juniors
Mr_E said:
Here's a possibility, maybe the real trial here is the forwards.

Wagon has been moved to 5/8 for the trials to try out different combinations of players in the forward pack. Being as how we have an oversupply of forwards this year maybe BS is using this time to find out where they would fit in the best. Don't get me wrong people Wagon is not a 5/8, by no stretch of the imagination, but for these few games we can afford to have him out of his better position (lock) to test some other guys.

Just a thought.
:clap:
I think this could be the reason.