What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darling harbour early 90s

Matua

Bench
Yes, i work at Marrickville Metro, before the redevelopment there was a Donut King shop where i used to get a hot dog with cheese, mustard and tomato sauce for just over $5 but the shop wasn't part of the redevelopment plans so it closed about 18 months ago, it had been there for years.

Yes about the outrages prices being charged, there is a place in Newtown called Loaded by BL and they charge $14 for a basic hot dog and generally if you see a hot dog on a menu in a pub its between $14-$20, there is no way i would pay that price for one.
There was another place on the south end of King St Newtown near Alice St which marketed itself as an American Hot Dog place, i never checked out the prices but the place was lit up like a Christmas Tree when you walked past even during the day and the smell of stale fat oozed out of the place so i never went in, i actually never saw any one in shop when i went past apart from the staff, it only lasted about 9 months before closing, luckily now a decent Italian restaurant has gone in in its place.
Suburgia in Redfern has massive hotdogs which are expensive (in comparison to the ones you're discussing) but worth the price for me.

Speaking of Marrickville, I'm a huge fan of Slims. I don't like large over stuffed with too many condiments/sauces burgers so their small, reasonably priced, not overstuffed burgers are perfect for me.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Suburgia in Redfern has massive hotdogs which are expensive (in comparison to the ones you're discussing) but worth the price for me.

Speaking of Marrickville, I'm a huge fan of Slims. I don't like large over stuffed with too many condiments/sauces burgers so their small, reasonably priced, not overstuffed burgers are perfect for me.

Went to the Eveleigh Christmas markets late this afternoon and LP meats had a stall there and they had a hot dog on the menu for $14 with lots of condiments and smoked bacon, i would have had one there but was heading out for dinner afterwards. Have checked out the menu at Suburgia in Redfern when i have jumped off the bus near the Woolpack hotel but its early in the morning and is never opened then, i'm happy to pay top dollar for a good dog but its something i want to remember and savour a long time after i have eaten it

Slims burgers is right next door to where i work, it had a lot of teething problems when it first opened, things kept on breaking down in the shop, their ice machine kept on mucking up so they were buying ice from our shop but i had to kept on explaining to their manager that i cannot serve someone who didn't have ID on them even though they were just buying ice, honestly some of the staff he sent over looked only 16 years old . The first couple of times they had the free burger promotions, the lines were so big they snaked past our shop and all the way back to near the front door at Woolworths, they blocked the entrance to our store at times , it took the centre management by the third promotion to actually queue the people out in the street which they actually have made into a plaza with just one way traffic and wide foot paths.

I have only had a Slims burger once and it was a Slims original and loaded fries, the burger was tasteless apart from the sauce, there was no seasoning on the patty, the loaded fries were very meh, actually the taste of fat for hours afterwards was not memorable. The manager from our other shop in the new part of the centre complained about two ordinary meals she got from there and they gave her a $100 credit to spend there after that.
I do want to give it another try as it was obvious they were having problems when they first opened and from what i see every day they must be doing something right now as they seem to have a good crowd in there but considering i can get a nice greasy old school burger with beetroot on it close by on the way home for a lot less price wise i'm not sure whether to give it another go or not.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade

I just love an old school burger which you used to be able to get from most milk bars or fish and chip shops, ones with fried onion, beetroot on it besides lettuce and tomato, sometime will chuck on a piece of pineapple on also, unfortunately the old school burger is a dying breed these days with the demise of the milk bars and corner stores over the years.

Mind you i do love a good cheese burger with just onion, cheese, pickle and sauce and my favourite is from Vic Meats at the fish markets, give me one of those with their onion rings and i'm in heaven.

Incorrect

Coach
I just love an old school burger which you used to be able to get from most milk bars or fish and chip shops, ones with fried onion, beetroot on it besides lettuce and tomato, sometime will chuck on a piece of pineapple on also, unfortunately the old school burger is a dying breed these days with the demise of the milk bars and corner stores over the years.

Mind you i do love a good cheese burger with just onion, cheese, pickle and sauce and my favourite is from Vic Meats at the fish markets, give me one of those with their onion rings and i'm in heaven.
We have a place about 10 minute drive from us that still do an awesome old school burger, complete with the proper sesame seed bun, not the scourge of society milk or brioche buns that are everywhere now. First thing I do is check menus these days when thinking of ordering a burger is check the bun. If it's milk bun or brioche bun, I move right along....

horrie hastings

First Grade
We have a place about 10 minute drive from us that still do an awesome old school burger, complete with the proper sesame seed bun, not the scourge of society milk or brioche buns that are everywhere now. First thing I do is check menus these days when thinking of ordering a burger is check the bun. If it's milk bun or brioche bun, I move right along....
There was an old fashioned diner on Gardners Rd Rosebery run by a Greek couple which for years i used to drive past thinking about one day i would pull up and try a burger from there, finally did one day and it was just the old fashioned burger i craved, not the best i had ever had but always consistent and still pretty high up on the scale for taste and value, just a real honest burger made with care and love, unfortunately it closed earlier this year but at least a got a few years of having a decent old school burger close to home. Just down the road from where i live there is a little takeaway in an industrial area and when i finish work early on a week day i will sometimes call in and get a burger, definitely not the best burger ever but the old fashioned style and still quite tasty,

Pauls (so called ) famous hamburgers at Sylvania do the old style burger and you can adapt it to want you want, i have found it a bit hit and miss over the years but there are times where the burger is so good and on point, its worth the drive, just lucky its far enough away from home to make it a regular destination, my favourite thing about Pauls is their pineapple crush drink, i don't drink a lot of sweet drinks or soft drinks but i love their crush.

Matua

Bench

Yeah, i like the equivalent but from NZ takeaways places (fish and chips, chinese). I had a decent one at a fish and chip shop in Balmain the other day. Not cheap, but fish and chips are so expensive here in Oz that I feel like I'm being robbed when I buy them.

Although Slims are American they remind me of the Wimpy Bar burgers from when I was a kid. Wimpy was a British diner chain originally from the UK i think (but US in style).

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah, i like the equivalent but from NZ takeaways places (fish and chips, chinese). I had a decent one at a fish and chip shop in Balmain the other day. Not cheap, but fish and chips are so expensive here in Oz that I feel like I'm being robbed when I buy them.

Although Slims are American they remind me of the Wimpy Bar burgers from when I was a kid. Wimpy was a British diner chain originally from the UK i think (but US in style).

I remember Wimpy opening in Bondi Junction back in the late 60's to a big fan fare, also there was one in the city, think it was in York St but they seemed to disappear without a trace, not sure what year though, there was one also on the main st at Gosford at some time. I remember being fascinated by the menu at Wimpy when i was very young, think i was taken to the Bondi Jct one twice and also once to the one in the city.
Went to Wimpy once when i was in London but my UK friends said the chain was a ghost of its former self, still i found the menu intriguing even though the burger i had was uninspiring, the breakfast menu reminded me of the menu at Bondi Jct back in the late 60 's.

Matua

Bench
I remember Wimpy opening in Bondi Junction back in the late 60's to a big fan fare, also there was one in the city, think it was in York St but they seemed to disappear without a trace, not sure what year though, there was one also on the main st at Gosford at some time. I remember being fascinated by the menu at Wimpy when i was very young, think i was taken to the Bondi Jct one twice and also once to the one in the city.
Went to Wimpy once when i was in London but my UK friends said the chain was a ghost of its former self, still i found the menu intriguing even though the burger i had was uninspiring, the breakfast menu reminded me of the menu at Bondi Jct back in the late 60 's.
Ah cool, so you Aussies weren't always little Americans, you were little commonwealthies like us. 😉

My local one lasted until the late 90s, but I think it was independent by then and had a name change but everything else was the same.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
So Rugby League was at its peak from 1989-1995 and Union was doing okay but no money and AFL was pointless but why were Sydneysiders into a shit game like Basketball ?
Sydney in general was at its peak in that period then too. It became one giant shithole from 1995 onwards. The only thing the CBD had/has going for it is the Harbour.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee

Go west

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
In what way.
It's become one big giant Chinese ghetto in the last couple of decades in all honesty.

I spent virtually most of my days in the CBD in the mid 2000's up until when I moved in 2015 and if you took out the Harbour you'd swear blind you were in Shanghai.

I've been back several times to visit family and catch up with mates and nothing has changed my mind since.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

Its only sort of hit me watching that video. I work not too far from there and would occassionlly do my lunch time walk through there and maybe after work during day light savings.

I knew the changes were coming but things were gradually disappearing from that shopping centre. YD closed, then other closing retailers. In the food court, only McDonalds, KFC and Opportos remained. I'm sure I was there not too long ago and McDonalds was the only place open there.

Sadly the Danish Ice Cream shop closed as well as the Fudge shop.

Whilst I didnt go to every bar and restuarant in there, I had so many good memories in there. A lot of birthdays, Christmas parties, work functions. Also years before when I was a kid that I remember going to TimeZone at the bottom floor.

I'm not sure Cyrens on the corner will still remain, as I believe its owned by the Nicks group. Im sure it was still open a couple weeks back.

Its unfortunate that this happened. I'm not sure what the future holds, apparently classy bars and restaurants and residential apartments on top. How original.

Dark Corner

Juniors
It's become one big giant Chinese ghetto in the last couple of decades in all honesty.

I spent virtually most of my days in the CBD in the mid 2000's up until when I moved in 2015 and if you took out the Harbour you'd swear blind you were in Shanghai.

I've been back several times to visit family and catch up with mates and nothing has changed my mind since.
I was there in 1999 and 2000 and yes parts of it were either like Hong Kong and Beirut.

Generalzod

Immortal
Its only sort of hit me watching that video. I work not too far from there and would occassionlly do my lunch time walk through there and maybe after work during day light savings.

I knew the changes were coming but things were gradually disappearing from that shopping centre. YD closed, then other closing retailers. In the food court, only McDonalds, KFC and Opportos remained. I'm sure I was there not too long ago and McDonalds was the only place open there.

Sadly the Danish Ice Cream shop closed as well as the Fudge shop.

Whilst I didnt go to every bar and restuarant in there, I had so many good memories in there. A lot of birthdays, Christmas parties, work functions. Also years before when I was a kid that I remember going to TimeZone at the bottom floor.

I'm not sure Cyrens on the corner will still remain, as I believe its owned by the Nicks group. Im sure it was still open a couple weeks back.

Its unfortunate that this happened. I'm not sure what the future holds, apparently classy bars and restaurants and residential apartments on top. How original.
The famous fudge shop was there in the 90's, what was the other bistro/Pub dance club called the one close to where the ferry was docked?

Generalzod

Immortal

Have you've been to Wooli Creek lately????

Matua

Bench

Huh? I live next to Chinatown and until recently worked in the CBD. The CBD is not full of chinese, Chinatown has lots of Chinese but with the redevelopment of Darling Sq I wouldn't even say it's full of chinese.

Not sure where you're going when you come back each time.