What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Lockyer has the defensive technique of a English RU full back!!

CharlieF

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:
Erhh, Lyon didn't stay in the line, that's the point, you shouldn't be throwing aorund that other people haven't played RL when you misunderstand this basic concept.

Lyon running out of the line opened up a channel to Lockyers right hand side. This channel doesn't exist if Lyon stays in the defensive line. Long can then approach the line and take the tackle or pass off hoping a channel is created.

Lyon didn't just mark Yeaman, he ran up prematurely as he was sold that Yeaman was about to get the ball.

If you do not understand this, you do not understand the responsibilities of a defender in a Rugby League defensive formation.

Lockyer missed the tackle. Long isn't a big man and should have been tackled. Lyon stays in the line, lockyer will still need assistance with the tackle bringing Lyon in and creating a one man overlap. I haven't been involved with any RL training, but whilst I know that the most dangerous man on the field is the one with the ball in hand, surely in a defensive line, it is man on man marking otherwise it doesn't work. If you miss your man, surely the onus is on you first. To say that Lyon made Lockyer miss that tackle is laughable. It was just as much Lockyers mistake.

WJ

Juniors
fourplay said:
Lyon was marking Yeaman... The gap was there because Yeaman was standing wide so Lyon had to stay out with him... But yeah Lyon should have anticipated Lockyer would let Long get on his outside.:roll: :lol:

Lyon's a fecking idiot that's what he is.

He's played with long for 2 years, he knows when long drops the shoulder and skirts along the line he's looking for a gap, with no intention of passing.

So what does einstein lyon do?

He rushes out of the line, to leave the gap long was looking for.

:lol:

What a dope.

Cheers Jamie.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
CharlieF said:
Lockyer missed the tackle. Long isn't a big man and should have been tackled. Lyon stays in the line, lockyer will still need assistance with the tackle bringing Lyon in and creating a one man overlap.

I'm not talking about defensive assignments.

Lockyer was defending three in, and yes his assignment was Long, and Lyon's assignment was Yeaman.

However 3 attackers running at a 3 man flat line is a pretty safe situation. Lyon disrupted this by running out of the line and creating a channel to Lockyer's right hand side where Lyon would of been.

Lockyer got burnt for pace by Long. This situation doesn't occur if Lyon stays in the line. I'm not blaming Lyon for not tackling Long, Long was not his assignment.

I'm blaming Lyon for increasing the difficulty of Lockyer's assignment, which in this event was a defensive failure.

I haven't been involved with any RL training, but whilst I know that the most dangerous man on the field is the one with the ball in hand, surely in a defensive line, it is man on man marking otherwise it doesn't work.

Of course in's man on man marking, you arrange yourself 1-in, 2-in, 3-in, etc and line yourself up to whoever is running that equivalent channel, you also call a switch when two attacking players cross.

What I'm saying is a straight line defence means the attacking team can't take advantages of size/speed mismatches as easily. The 1st rule of attack is if someone comes out of the line is the change your angles to epxloit that hole. Long did that and he exploited the Lyon hole by a speed mismatch he had on Lockyer.

If you miss your man, surely the onus is on you first. To say that Lyon made Lockyer miss that tackle is laughable. It was just as much Lockyers mistake.

Lockyer missed the tackle yes, well so much that he didn't have the jets to make the tackle. Lyon messed up the structure of everyone's defensive assignment. It is really.. REALLY simple stuff.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
WJ said:
Lyon's a fecking idiot that's what he is.

He's played with long for 2 years, he knows when long drops the shoulder and skirts along the line he's looking for a gap, with no intention of passing.

So what does einstein lyon do?

He rushes out of the line, to leave the gap long was looking for.

:lol:

What a dope.

Cheers Jamie.

Amen, a gap that doesn't exist if Lyon doesn't leave the line.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
:arrow:
fourplay said:
If Lyon comes in then its a 2 on 1 overlap still. Lockyers error.

Some of you are braindead and have never played rugby league... Lyon made Lockyer miss long ?? WTF !!?

LYON HAD TO STAY OUT WIDE MARKING YEAMEN... IF LYON WAS STANDING TOO FAR IN NEXT TO LOCKYER THEN A SIMPLE PASS AND YEAMEN IS IN SPACE WITH TOO MUCH ROOM TO MOVE.

It was Lockyers defensive error some of you are either thick as **** or trying to defend your boyfriend.

Can't believe you're trying to hang this on Lyon.

you've got no clue..

fourplay

Juniors
There is no gap for Long to run through if Lockyer doesn't let him get on his outside. Lyon = only very partly responsible. Lockyer = the one who made the big mistake and missed his man.

Do you really put more blame on Lyon for this than Lockyer ? If yes well ur an idiot lmao :lol:

Nook

Bench
Lockyer got planted on his heels with a defender running across him. Big mistake.

Lyon rushed out and created space outside Lockyer. Big mistake.

Two equally bad bits of defence, one good run from Long.

JJ

Immortal
it's a defensive unit - difficult to blame one person

they both should have done things better... but looked to me like Lyon was more culpable

but again, if Mason could catch... and Hornby hadn't been smashed... nobody would be too worried, and Lockyer would have more than made up for any part he played in that try

salivor

First Grade
fourplay said:
There is no gap for Long to run through if Lockyer doesn't let him get on his outside. Lyon = only very partly responsible. Lockyer = the one who made the big mistake and missed his man.

Do you really put more blame on Lyon for this than Lockyer ? If yes well ur an idiot lmao :lol:

Is Peter Sterling an idiot as he said that Lyon was responsible?

fourplay

Juniors
salivor said:

Hahahahah STERLING said Lyon was responsible... wow very credible case. Have you heard what else Sterlo said about Lyon ?

CharlieF

Juniors
salivor said:

I know that good ole Sterlo is usually impartial, but I think that there is an exception with him and Lyon. Sterlo has taken the Lyon thing personally. I have lost a fair bit of respect for him because of his stupid comments.

borntoride

Juniors
Lockyer is supposed to be supported by a team, when everyone is going kamikaze like a bunch of headline grabbing geniused chickens, lockyer is bound to be targeted suffer, his tackle count should be low to give him more energy to attack, the comment about carroll or even webke on his shoulder is totally valid. Thing is mason isn't interested in protecting his mate from the looks of things, too busy hiding from Morley. Overall Lockyer can't be blamed for a poor uncoordinated performance by the entire australian team. Lyon is certainly not to blame he was the best player for the aussies on the night and tackled well.

screeny

Bench
Some things cannot be argued.

Anyone who thinks Lockyer is to blame for that try and not Lyon either has no idea about RL or has mixed up Lyon and Lockyer.

WJ

Juniors
Although eariler in the thread i laughed at lyon, he isn't completley to blame.

Lockyer hung off long and allowed him to run round him.

It was laughable and pathetic play from a so called ''world class'' player.

Long put him in his place.

CharlieF

Juniors
screeny said:
Some things cannot be argued.

Anyone who thinks Lockyer is to blame for that try and not Lyon either has no idea about RL or has mixed up Lyon and Lockyer.

Anyone that hates Lyon, will come to your conclusion. Nothing to do with RL.

Tackle your man, man. Simple. True about some thing cannot be argued.

WJ

Juniors
Roby1 said:
Longy butt F***ed him end of. It probably won't happen again, but it did!

Yup, Lockyer was babtashed, no mistake about it.

Totally owned and outplayed by Long in every way humanly possible.

JJ

Immortal
:lol: again, if Willie could catch, and Hornby hadn't taken a hip to the head, Lockyer would have been MoM - you're delusional