What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Lockyer

Scott

Bench
Brent Tate has been very very good over the last month. Since he has been back at centre he has been one of the form centres in the comp.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Bennet take him away again. Gasnier, Cooper and Tate as the centres with King and Tahu on the wings.

drake

First Grade
Regardless of what anyone thinks Lockyer will 5/8th and captain, it's a no brainer. Bennett has had a new thought since 2002.

Who do I reckon will be picked?

1. Minichiello (great player, needs a rest should be hodgson.)
2. King.
3. Gasnier
4. Berrigan
5. Tate
6. Lockyer
7. Barrett :)roll: can't play the form 5\8 at 5\8; make him a halfback; should be Prince)
8. Bailey
9. Buderus
10. Petro (I always mangle his surname)
11. Hindmarsh
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Carroll
Bench will probably be Ryles, Ryan, Kennedy and Wing.

As I said in another thread, thank god we don't have real opposition.

drake

First Grade
The Colonel said:
Berrigan and Carroll haven't been named in the train on squad..... so it won't happen.
I just read the other thread.

Still a chance for a late inclusion, and don't rule out Darren Smith. :lol:

jimmy_pop

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Lockyer at 5/8 is a failed experiment. This is odd, because at fullback, he was always playing 5/8!

I think he is playing with a vastly overratd team. He did his best, and Webcke was outstanding in the first half, as was Darren Smith and Petero. Bazza Berrigan - a toiler at best, toiled his arse of. Tate put in a big effort. The rest were crap - nothing more than trumped up nuffies. There was no support play - that ain't Lockyer's fault. However, it's obvious that he has rrached his talent's peak - he is now a Kevin Walters - and desperately needs a Steve Renouf to compliment him.

He has none in Brisbane, nor in SOO. This year, his form doesn't warrant selection in the touring side.

Scary thought - his club coach is yesterday's man with yesterdays ideas, and is also national coach and selector. If Bennet picks sh*t like S. Berrigan, Carroll, Thorn etc in the test side, and leaves Joey out of the equasion, we are doomed.

:) locky number 1

Pigskin

Juniors
I reckon Locky thought Seymour would get Marshall ... and he should have ... his lack of a dive/ankle-tap was very ordinary indeed

on top of which, Lockyer just came off a hamstring injury

I'd back Lockyer to beat Marshall in a sprint race over 40 or 100m ... with both 100% fitness ... but i'd back Marshall in a game of Frogger :shock:

Oink !

The Colonel

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
thats cruel colonel...very cruel.
Dykes better go to the eagles so he can play 5/8

I'm not being funny. I actually think it would be a good purchase by the Broncos.

If the Broncos didn't go in for Berrick Barnes and make a genuine effort, there is no way they will be going after Dykes.

I think for Lockyer, he had a terrific start to the season, but started to slow down when the Broncos did, just like any other half in a beaten side. If you are not in good field position, it is too hard for the halves to really do anything. That said, Seymour didn't take any pressure off Lockyer, and Lockyer had to do all the work. Put Lockyer with a half which takes any initiative and does stuff of their own and he will be as dangerous as he was on the tri nations last year.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, and Lockyer oozes class.

I agree Lockyer would be still better at fullback, but Brisbane has had to move him to 5/8 to add more creativity and points to their team, which I think has been forced by Bennett's lack of risk taking. If Bennett would've gambled on youngsters like Brian Smith (with Tim Smith), Nathan Brown (Matthew Head) and Tim Sheens (Marshall, Prince, Farah etc etc), then we could've had 1. Lockyer, 6. Barnes 7. Seymour, and been a much better side for it.

Lockyer alongside Johns will be better then Tampon alongside Johns. I also think Barrett is a lock in the making and will probably play there in a few years.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
drake said:
Regardless of what anyone thinks Lockyer will 5/8th and captain, it's a no brainer. Bennett has had a new thought since 2002.

Who do I reckon will be picked?

1. Minichiello (great player, needs a rest should be hodgson.)

He's actually having a rest now.. His form at the back end of the season was brilliant, don't see why he needs a rest during the Roo's tour. Hodgson's form is becoming increasingly impossible to ignore and he should tour but Minichiello will walk into the starting 13, either at Fullback or Wing, no way in hell players like Tate have played anywhere near as well as Minichiello this season.

Cletus

First Grade
Pigskin said:
I reckon Locky thought Seymour would get Marshall ... and he should have ... his lack of a dive/ankle-tap was very ordinary indeed

on top of which, Lockyer just came off a hamstring injury

I'd back Lockyer to beat Marshall in a sprint race over 40 or 100m ... with both 100% fitness ... but i'd back Marshall in a game of Frogger :shock:

Oink !
I thought the same thing about Seymour, should have made a dive and it looked like if he did he could have slowed Marshall down a bit at least.

ozboy

Juniors
You can not expect 1 man to carry an entire sides attack.

That is what Lockyer has had to go through this year for the Broncos.

B-dos

Referee
ozboy said:
You can not expect 1 man to carry an entire sides attack.

That is what Lockyer has had to go through this year for the Broncos.

Boo-hoo for Lockyer. All teams have their main play maker who provides most of the attacking options. Johns does it week in and week out for whatever team he plays for. Lockyer is far from being the best player in the world as some people have tried to claim in the past. He is a great fullback and should have remained there. But these days he wouldnt even make the test side over Mini.

bluesbreaker

Bench
B-dos said:
Boo-hoo for Lockyer. All teams have their main play maker who provides most of the attacking options. Johns does it week in and week out for whatever team he plays for. Lockyer is far from being the best player in the world as some people have tried to claim in the past. He is a great fullback and should have remained there. But these days he wouldnt even make the test side over Mini.

:clap: :clap:

Don't compare Johns to Lockyer, it's an insult to Johns.