What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Nicholls

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Well that’s the job of the coach who is unfortunately asleep at the wheel
He should have already been working towards resolving that issue by blooding players U / 20 players in reggies or working out how to use Havilli
Massive failures on both fronts and is the very reason why he would most likely would contemplate moving Hunt to 9 because he thinks if it was good enough for Wayne it’s more than good enough for us.
Trouble is the circumstances at the Broncios was very different to us as they had good quality attacking players to fill 7 so they could move Hunt to 9 where we have no such luxury.

OT your last paragraph is the definitive reason for this. The Broncos did have the luxury of quality, experienced halves as back-up. Renember too that Hunt was dropped to reserve grade, wether that be in response to him signing with us or poor form who knows.
The point here is yes Hunt can play hooker but given our structure it woulsnt be a feasable option, especially to weaken the one area that we have struggled in for so long now.
If McInnes does go down or even selected for rep duty we do have options wereas half we dont. Robson is young yes, and I feel thats why Nicholls was signed to cover for McInnes. If wouldnt suprise me either to see Mann doing some pre-season hooking practice as well.
The other side of the coin is what happens if Hunt gets injured. Well again we gave Mann and now Nicholls and probably throw in Field as well though i think hes well and truly dropped down the pecking order.

BennyV

Referee
How is it different? Broncos lost their first choice hooker in McCullough for the season. Any number of people could have taken over at hooker, Nikorima, Benji someone from the 20's or Qld Cup. But Bennett chose to go with Hunt and he was a revelation at hooker, and they went deep into the semis.

If McInnes goes down or loses form, who do we slot at hooker?? Robson is still too young. McCrone and Havili gone. Even Marketo is gone now, and he was the closest thing to a back up hooker we had left.

The more I think of it, the fact they signed Nichols, and as yet have not nominated a back up hooker, currently this seems to be the only contingency if anything happens to McInnes.
Because Hunt was leaving them, so Bennett had the option of not only filling the hooker role but ensuring that their #7 for 2018 got some game time under his belt. His back up half also had more than 0 first grade games in the 7 jumper, as opposed to ours.

If McInness goes down, we either bring Robson through or we put Nichols (who is also listed as a hooker) at 9, or we go and find another option. And no, none of them are as risky as putting Field or Nichols at 7 because in both of those options, the most important position on the field is still occupied by our marquee halfback purchased to fill that position.

Mate, you more than anyone have been campaigning for having the smart players in the right positions, it's mind blowing that you'd be in favour of this move under any circumstances outside of signing another first-grade ready halfback who is either better than Hunt or have a physical disability preventing them from playing hooker.

giboz71

First Grade
Because Hunt was leaving them, so Bennett had the option of not only filling the hooker role but ensuring that their #7 for 2018 got some game time under his belt. His back up half also had more than 0 first grade games in the 7 jumper, as opposed to ours.

If McInness goes down, we either bring Robson through or we put Nichols (who is also listed as a hooker) at 9, or we go and find another option. And no, none of them are as risky as putting Field or Nichols at 7 because in both of those options, the most important position on the field is still occupied by our marquee halfback purchased to fill that position.

Mate, you more than anyone have been campaigning for having the smart players in the right positions, it's mind blowing that you'd be in favour of this move under any circumstances outside of signing another first-grade ready halfback who is either better than Hunt or have a physical disability preventing them from playing hooker.

Don’t disagree with any of that.

My point is, hooker can be just as important as the halves and we can suffer just as badly with having the wrong person in the position. 4 years of Mitch Rein taught us that.

If we had a back up like Havili still around, I wouldn’t be going on about this. But if we are crying out for someone to play dummy half, we’d be crazy not to at least consider the Kangaroo hooker we have in our team.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
This signing tells us 3 things:

1. Mann at halfback experiment was a failure

2. Hutchison was never ever beibg considered as a first grade squad player or they would have offered him a 2 year deal

3.the club wanted a mature player that has proven himself playing against men as a backup

Mann wasn't given the regularly of playing halfback to determine whether he was a success or otherwise.

Anyway, it's a moot point because he's a five-eighth, and both halves positions require different skill sets.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Great depth signing. Millward again with another smart signing. He got 2 players that were often quoted best signings in 2017 (Vaughn and McInness). He may get another 2 mentions in 2018 with Hunt and possibly Graham if he stays fit.

McIness badly flatlined by the season's end.

Personally, I don't understand the adulation towards him.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
McIness badly flatlined by the season's end.

Personally, I don't understand the adulation towards him.
It must be said it was the kids first full year he made a record number of tackles and you see no merit in that well we'll personally I don't understand what you use for brains.another drag queen clone

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
And who didn’t plateau or end up busted by year end?
They vast majority of the squad fell in a black hole not just Mc Innes

Well, let's see....

While it's subjective, I would argue that Mann, Nightingale, Debellin, Frizell, Sims, Thompson, Vaughan and Au Mau did not plateau in their performances.

I'd would have included Dufty but I don't think he played enough first grade for an accurate assessment to be made either way.

Vast majority? Perhaps in the backs, but definitely not the forwards.

Then again, I feel we can all agree that the Dragons' backline isn't its strongest feature.

Old Timer

Coach
Well, let's see....

While it's subjective, I would argue that Mann, Nightingale, Debellin, Frizell, Sims, Thompson, Vaughan and Au Mau did not plateau in their performances.

I'd would have included Dufty but I don't think he played enough first grade for an accurate assessment to be made either way.

Vast majority? Perhaps in the backs, but definitely not the forwards.

Then again, I feel we can all agree that the Dragons' backline isn't its strongest feature.
Well let's see indeed
By mid way through the 2nd round
JDB, TF were busted goods.
Vaughan was not as effective as others around him faltered.
Packer non exustent
Sims season IMO is mostly being evaluated on the Penrith and Souths games and not much else as he was't all that effective (by that I mean take a game by the scruff of the neck and win it for us) all that often.
JT was tradesmanlike in the 2nd half of the season with no real game where he dominated.
LAM was quiet for a while but IMO very good the last 4 rounds and almost our best forward.
I agree Mann was very good most of the season.
FLo was Flo very consistent for what he is and probably plays the entire season the same way "on a plateau" but certainly is not a turning point in a game.
Dugan was going backwards
Lafai ordinary
Mc Donald less than ordinary
Widdop couldn't win a game that counted
Mc Crone diabolical
Dufty certainly showed something to please most people
Mc Innes wasn't greatly effective in attack that often but IMO wasn't the reason why we didn't make the 8 nor was he alone in respect of dropped performance compared to the start of the season and our end result verifies that IMO.

possm

Coach
The only reason I put Hunt in the 9 jumper was because there was talk of a possible Cronk signing. Once we learned that he is going to be a Rooster, then I went back to Hunt at 7.

I still feel there is more quality signing for the Dragons prior to season start. Who knows what's on Millward's white board however, now I'm hoping it's Wamsley.

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Darren Nicholls....I can't say I've seen him play in the NRL to warrant any excitement. So far in his career he's been at the Rabbitohs, Broncos, Panthers and now Dragons without any luck establishing himself in 1st grade. This doesn't fill me with too much confidence & feel he'll be destined for another stint in a different NSW cup side.

BennyV

Referee
Don’t disagree with any of that.

My point is, hooker can be just as important as the halves and we can suffer just as badly with having the wrong person in the position. 4 years of Mitch Rein taught us that.

If we had a back up like Havili still around, I wouldn’t be going on about this. But if we are crying out for someone to play dummy half, we’d be crazy not to at least consider the Kangaroo hooker we have in our team.
It wouldnt be crazy if that hooker was currently filling his best position in the halves and the backup halves were equally as unknown in that position in first grade.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Well let's see indeed
By mid way through the 2nd round
JDB, TF were busted goods.
Vaughan was not as effective as others around him faltered.
Packer non exustent
Sims season IMO is mostly being evaluated on the Penrith and Souths games and not much else as he was't all that effective (by that I mean take a game by the scruff of the neck and win it for us) all that often.
JT was tradesmanlike in the 2nd half of the season with no real game where he dominated.
LAM was quiet for a while but IMO very good the last 4 rounds and almost our best forward.
I agree Mann was very good most of the season.
FLo was Flo very consistent for what he is and probably plays the entire season the same way "on a plateau" but certainly is not a turning point in a game.
Dugan was going backwards
Lafai ordinary
Mc Donald less than ordinary
Widdop couldn't win a game that counted
Mc Crone diabolical
Dufty certainly showed something to please most people
Mc Innes wasn't greatly effective in attack that often but IMO wasn't the reason why we didn't make the 8 nor was he alone in respect of dropped performance compared to the start of the season and our end result verifies that IMO.
totally agree but WIDDOP had no chance to shine the opposition knew WHO WAS GETTING THE BALL and he was very easily shut down .BLAME THE 3 STOOGES.

possm

Coach
So maybe it will be Nicholls as reserve grade half and backup for the 7 and 9 position in first grade.

ouryear

Juniors
LOL!

Do you remember Ben Ellis, a one dimensional so called tackling "machine", who did very little else?

I don't rate McIness, is that ok?

I believe it is purely the result of Mary INSTRUCTING McInnes to tackle.. and simply pass the ball from dummy half.

Do not run or I will replace you....

Exactly the same as dumb Hasler instructed Lichha all year.... and almost cost him his spot, until Hasler was sacked and Lichha signed up again.

It must be terrible to play for a coach who has no idea.

Hasler sacked.
Madge sacked.
Henry sacked.

None of our players are at fault.
It's the coaching.