What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith is the greatest administrator in RL history.

Spot On

Coach
I've been critical of Smith at times in the past. But now I'm his biggest fan. The man has singlehandedly eliminated fist fights from Rugby League. He has got onto Anderson to make a major change that will do great things for the game long term. From now on anyone who throws a punch gets an automatic sin bin. This is one of the boldest major moves I have ever seen in sports administration. Dave Smith has ensured his legacy as of now. As of now he will go down as one of the greatest things to happen to rugby league in the 21st century. As of now he is the best CEO in sport.

Dave Smith I have doubted you at times in the past. I stand corrected. I take back anything negative I have ever said. You are a great man and you are great at your job. It takes a real leader to make a brave decision like this. I would have no problem if he is given the job for life. I consider myself a Dave Smith fan.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r-footy-violence/story-fni3fqyo-1226664374292

I know you are naive.

I don't think fist fights will be eliminated at all. If people think Paul Gallen's punch to Nate Myles' head will be the last fist thrown in anger, frustration or in the heat of battle, they are naive. There will be more "fist fights" in the NRL.

Tommy Smith

Referee
It's a good decision.

I love the biff as much as the next person; but will the game be any less exciting with the absence of fighting? I doubt it.

Time to move with the times. There's nothing cool about seeing a player have his jaw broken or get knocked unconscious by a punch (except for Steve Price in Origin by Brett White, that will always be the exception to the rule as he was the games number one all-time thug).

Danish

Referee
Don't forget Ben Ross getting knocked out by Brett white as well.

Brett white is the master of knocking out long time grubs

Flapper

First Grade
The greatest thing about playing SG Ball against BunniesMan was you could throw a dozen punches and still be hitting unique parts of his head.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I know you are naive.

I don't think fist fights will be eliminated at all. If people think Paul Gallen's punch to Nate Myles' head will be the last fist thrown in anger, frustration or in the heat of battle, they are naive. There will be more "fist fights" in the NRL.
No club or coach will tolerate a player throwing a punch when we all now know it's an automatic 10 minutes off.

If you take the selfish option and throw a punch because you're a bit mad and force your teammates to play 12 on 13 for 10 minutes you will be dropped by any half decent coach. And the significance of 12 on 13 at origin level is even greater so it would be even dumber to do it at that level.

Punching in RL has basically been forced into extinction with this. From now on punches will be about as common as genuine spear tackles.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Hardcore rugby league fan: "Oh, I watch rugby league because it has fights."

League fan: "You must have to wait a while?"

Hardcore rugby league fan: "Yeah, but it's good watching those few punches thrown with near no consequences."

League fan: "What about the UFC, the kickboxing or the boxing? There's more punches thrown more often and with no consequences whatsoever?"

Hardcore rugby league fan: "Yeah but Gallen and... errrmm... Origin spirit..."

League fan: " :? ](*,) "

Someone

Bench
This game is turning into a real merkin of a game.

Cheers, might watch AFL this arvo. they are allowed to tackle to each other

Someone

Bench
sunrise-fishing.jpg

Should know better.

Spot On

Coach
No club or coach will tolerate a player throwing a punch when we all now know it's an automatic 10 minutes off.

If you take the selfish option and throw a punch because you're a bit mad and force your teammates to play 12 on 13 for 10 minutes you will be dropped by any half decent coach. And the significance of 12 on 13 at origin level is even greater so it would be even dumber to do it at that level.

Punching in RL has basically been forced into extinction with this. From now on punches will be about as common as genuine spear tackles.

But it will happen. Doesn't matter how dumb you think it is. Doesn't matter how selfish you think it is. No coach is on the field to stop it. Players are still shoulder charging, players are still lifting other players beyond the horizontal, players are still making contact with the head. See the suspension lists for this season.

Paul Gallen, Sam Burgess, Jared WH, Jeremy Smith et al WILL NOT be dropped by their coach for throwing a punch. Wake up to yourself Peter Rabbit.

adamkungl

Immortal
It's only 10 mins in the bin.

Punches will still occur.

A good change. Well done Smith.

It's unnecessary, classic Gallop knee-jerk, except Gallop lacked the balls to make any actual meaningful changes.

It's a contact sport, flare ups happen, most of the time there's no need for any serious action.

The slippery slope argument rarely applies but it sure does in modern rugby league...

Someone

Bench
If its a fair 1v1 fight, do both get binned?

If its an all out brawl, do 5 get sent to bin?

How exactly does the rule work?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If its a fair 1v1 fight, do both get binned?

If its an all out brawl, do 5 get sent to bin?

How exactly does the rule work?

It won't, they are just trying to avoid soo2 becoming a brawlathon.

In a situation like gallens he should have walked for ten, next time he will. If two players start trading then they will both be walked, as usually happens now, if a third man comes in then three players will be sat down. Pretty straight forward really.

adamkungl

Immortal
A bit of a push and shove turning into a 1 on 1 stink, I honestly don't see the problem. Penalty for the foul play or for throwing the first punch, move on ffs.

Puntastic

Juniors
I cannot wait for origin. All in brawl, everyone gets sent off for 10 minutes. Except Creagh because he'll be running to the other end of the field. Then Creagh scores like, 20 tries and breaks all the records and a statue of him (wings and all) gets commissioned to stand outside the stadium because he is better than Wally Lewis.