What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Williams / Manly vs Parra

Bigfella

Coach
fmd Bigfella, ofcourse he'll call a press conference he's the CEO and I wouldn't take that comment seriously as it's only part of the gamesmanship involved by 2 clubs to bluff Manly into, paying overs him.

Fact: DA and DA alone will have the initial say on who will represent this club on the field.

Fact: once DA sounds out who he wants, then he with General manager of football operations, Andrew Hill and football Manager, Phil Moss will begin negotiations on the players manager..

Fact: fitsgerald will ultimately agree with the terms and conditions and sign off on the contract with the Chairman.

is that clear?

Fact: if disgruntled supporters start complaining about retention DF will put the blame straight on to the coach (as per his 2KY morning show interviews during the last Brian Smith years).

Fact: where possible DF will give the impression that a well performing player was his signing (as per his performance in the 2GB box in the Dragons-Eels game last year when he strolled in to the box live on air after Finch set up a try; strangely he wasn't to be seen following the seven charge downs which followed).

I reckon i have posted about thirty times in the last few times examples of Fitzgerald doing both of the above.

No doubt what you described above is the standard operating procedure but there is no dubting the fact that DF will manipulate public perception of that process to his advantage.

And of course DA will technically have no real control over who represents the club next season as the playing roster was entirely filled before his appointment. Which is one reason most of us wish 2010 was around the corner.

BRAD BELLICK

Juniors
question, when has Fitzgerald said that there was no room under the cap for 2010?

I dont know that he has. Its his stock standard response everytime we're linked to a player. Face it , Fitzy coming out & saying we'd target a player is out of character. I can only put it down to either a political move or to get under Manlys skin.

Gronk

Staff member
I dont know that he has. Its his stock standard response everytime we're linked to a player. Face it , Fitzy coming out & saying we'd target a player is out of character. I can only put it down to either a political move or to get under Manlys skin.

I'd say it was the latter.

Freak2

Juniors
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not chase wingers!!

We have time and time again paid overs for wingers to join our club.

Wingers should be our least paid or close to and we have consistantly paid more for wingers than halfs????

When will we learn........

Stagger eel

Staff member
Fact: if disgruntled supporters start complaining about retention DF will put the blame straight on to the coach (as per his 2KY morning show interviews during the last Brian Smith years).

Fact: where possible DF will give the impression that a well performing player was his signing (as per his performance in the 2GB box in the Dragons-Eels game last year when he strolled in to the box live on air after Finch set up a try; strangely he wasn't to be seen following the seven charge downs which followed).

I reckon i have posted about thirty times in the last few times examples of Fitzgerald doing both of the above.

No doubt what you described above is the standard operating procedure but there is no dubting the fact that DF will manipulate public perception of that process to his advantage.

And of course DA will technically have no real control over who represents the club next season as the playing roster was entirely filled before his appointment. Which is one reason most of us wish 2010 was around the corner.

so what?

Fitzy has been saying it for years to suit his own arguement, off course he's going to blame others when the retention of certain players doesn't work out, off course he's going to stake claim that a good signing is his doing, he has for 30 years..where have you been??

everyone knows that from 1997, that part of it was taken out of his control when Brian Smith negotiated full auotonimy (sp) with the playing roster.

I find it amusing bigfella, that you take an on air joke he has with Roy Hardley, seriously, if that's the case than you should refer him as the emperor and not Fitzy.

i know about DA's situation, this is about Dave Williams who will be off contract at his current club at the end of 09, i'd like to think that DA would be well on his way going through the 2010 player roster file now, it certainly wouldn't be sitting on Fitzy's desk.

imo, if Fitzy had anything to do with the make up the squad year by year than Andrew Hill wouldn't have a job.

Stagger eel

Staff member

yep..definitely the latter.

forward pass

Coach
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not chase wingers!!

We have time and time again paid overs for wingers to join our club.

Wingers should be our least paid or close to and we have consistantly paid more for wingers than halfs????

When will we learn........

I half agree with you. BUT - I think everyone really understates the importance of wingers with the way the game is played now. With the tactical kicking ability of teams now to target wingers and set plays designed to get outside them, good wingers are soooo important now.

I would be happy to argue that they have become much more important then centres nowadays. In fact - you could almost hide a lot of players in the centres these days.

ROGUE

Juniors
they can keep him, whose to say that he'll be the same player if he was back with us.Whilst he did have a good year most of his tries were scored at the end of a backline movement

yy_cheng

Coach
I half agree with you. BUT - I think everyone really understates the importance of wingers with the way the game is played now. With the tactical kicking ability of teams now to target wingers and set plays designed to get outside them, good wingers are soooo important now.

I would be happy to argue that they have become much more important then centres nowadays. In fact - you could almost hide a lot of players in the centres these days.

However, for Parra, PROPS and 2nd rowers are our weakest problem if the backs have the right attitude

fmd Bigfella, ofcourse he'll call a press conference he's the CEO and I wouldn't take that comment seriously as it's only part of the gamesmanship involved by 2 clubs to bluff Manly into, paying overs him.

Fact: DA and DA alone will have the initial say on who will represent this club on the field.

Fact: once DA sounds out who he wants, then he with General manager of football operations, Andrew Hill and football Manager, Phil Moss will begin negotiations on the players manager..

Fact: fitsgerald will ultimately agree with the terms and conditions and sign off on the contract with the Chairman.

is that clear?

actually i kinda suspect the opposite that manly are trying to bluff parramatta into paying overs for him, why come out with this bullsh*t telling us to stay away from him? if he's off contract who he signs with is none of manlys fu*king business! add to that the little shot about us being a feeder club for manly (of course we are, their "recruitment officer" only knows our players and can't be bothered driving around to see anyone else play) i see the whole thing as an attempt to piss fitzy off so he will sign him at any price to 'get back at manly' while they roll around on the floor laughing at us

p.s. at least we wait for a players contract to expire before we sign them mr mayer

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Stagger, no wink, do you honestly think he wants to return?

there's always a possiblity, but I heard about 6 months ago that he misses the area he grew up in, his father is still involved at our club and he was a seen at a few Wenty games..

probably doesn't mean too much at all though.

ParraAds

Juniors
there's always a possiblity, but I heard about 6 months ago that he misses the area he grew up in, his father is still involved at our club and he was a seen at a few Wenty games..

probably doesn't mean too much at all though.

Of course it's a possibility. Does anyone really think that it was his dream to go and join the club that he probably grew up hating??

It also wasn't that long ago that I spotted Dave and his brother catching up with a couple of our high profile stars. Call me the optimist, but you could see the passion for the club alive and well in both Dave and John.

Gronk

Staff member
Is it fair that the media refers to Dave Williams as a Parramatta reject ? What were the circumstances when he signed for Manly ? Did we try and keep him ?

Jodeci

Bench
Is it fair that the media refers to Dave Williams as a Parramatta reject ? What were the circumstances when he signed for Manly ? Did we try and keep him ?

Gronk the club thought because of all his injuries and playing only a few games in a couple of years that we would not renew his contract.

Those who keep up with our lower grades will remember that Dave only play a hand full amount of games in 06 and 07 due to knee, ankle problems

I remember watching one game wear I saw more tape then skin on him

Latest posts