What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

De Gois

otori

Juniors
Ryles, Kimmorley in swap deal

By Brent Read and Margie McDonald
April 23, 2008
ST George Illawarra prop Jason Ryles and Cronulla half-back Brett Kimmorley have emerged as the pivotal figures in a dramatic mid-season switch which would result in former Queensland forward Ben Ross finishing his career in England.
Talks are believed to be under way between the Sharks and Dragons over a potential swap involving former Australia team-mates Ryles and Kimmorley following this weekend.
However, the deal is believed to be contingent on Kimmorley's team-mate Ross leaving for England at the end of the year.
If the deal doesn't go through mid-year the parties will try to complete it by the end of the year.
Ross, whose position at the Sharks has been under scrutiny for the past year, is the subject of interest from Super League side Hull. Importantly, all three players are managed by SFX Sports, something which could help facilitate the deal.
SFX agent George Mimis is scheduled to meet Dragons chief executive Peter Doust to discuss the swap as well as the future of former Test centre Matt Cooper, who is off contract and in demand from England.
Officials from Cronulla and St George Illawarra were unavailable for comment.
Kimmorley has another year to run on his contract with Cronulla but shapes as an ideal fit for the Dragons, who lack experience in the halves.
Incoming St George Illawarra coach Wayne Bennett has been a long-time admirer of the former NSW and Australia No7 and tried to sign him eight years ago when Kimmorley was leaving Melbourne.
At the time Kimmorley flew to Brisbane for talks with Bennett and the Broncos but eventually signed with the Northern Eagles.
Bennett also coached Kimmorley on the 2004 Tri-Nations tour.
Any deal involving St George Illawarra would allow Kimmorley to maintain his house in Sydney's southern suburbs, a significant attraction.
While Kimmorley's prospective move comes as little shock given his tumultuous time under Sharks coach Ricky Stuart, the potential switch of Ryles is a surprise.
The former Test prop has played all his football with the Dragons but has been the subject of strident criticism from the club's fans in recent years.
Despite producing some of the best form of his career in 2008, he is still an enfant terrible in the eyes of Dragons supporters. There is a view in some quarters that a change of scene would be ideal for the 29-year-old.
The wild-card is Ross, whose tenure at Cronulla has been rocky.
His future at the club became all the more tenuous when Cronulla's multi-million dollar signing of Anthony Tupou was revealed.
Tupou's arrival has put the squeeze on the club's salary cap and the repercussions could flow as early as this week, with hooker Isaac de Gois expected to announce he will join Newcastle next season.
De Gois, 23, has been earmarked as the Knights' replacement for hooker Danny Buderus, who will move to English club Leeds in 2009.
De Gois, who has captained the Portuguese national side, has been outstanding for the Sharks but the club was unable to compete with the money on offer at the Knights.
More significantly, Ross has become superfluous given the Sharks' surfeit of quality forwards.
Tupou, Paul Gallen, Reece Williams, Greg Bird, and possibly Ryles, will consume a large amount of the salary cap in 2009 and something has to give.
Hull chief executive Kath Hetherington has been in the country casting her eye over prospective signings for 2009 and it is understood Ross and Ryles are her priorities.
Tupou's arrival will also shake up the Sharks' starting side, with Bird set for a permanent move to five-eighth.
"I see him as a great player and he gives us a different game with his style of attack," Stuart said of Tupou.
"He'd be an attraction for any football team."
Tupou's decision will also have ramifications for South Sydney recruitment for next season.
The club may now has room for prop David Shillington, whose place would have been in jeopardy had Tupou stayed.

Source: Foxsports.com.au

Super Sub

Juniors
I'd be very happy with De Gois coming to the club, he is young and could fill the hooking role long term, and man he is quick out of dummy half

Terrence Seu Seu has got the nod from Stuart for the weekend. Degois is a very talented boy and his vision from dummy half is half the reason the sharks are going so well. To think we were after Ryles last season. Thank god he decided to not sign with us. Yes he is playing well this year but he is peaheart.

Jono078

Referee
Good signing.

He's been really good at the Sharks. He's tough, runs well, passes well, and I think he can kick alright if we needed him too, oh and he's defence is rock solid.

Wonder if we'll still target another hooker though? I can see De Gois on about 170-210k a year. So we should have some money for a solid centre.

keeney

First Grade
What mold of hooker is he? I never watch Sharks games anymore, they bore me with their inability to score points. Good service? Any kicking game to speak of? Defence?

macavity

Referee
for mine

good service

very very quick

good vision

not a great defender for a hooker

haven't seen a kicking game

Jono078

Referee
He defends a bit like Gidley, may not always wrap the bloke up but he'll be the first one in the tackle and he'll hit his hardest, not afraid to get in there.

He can kick the ball alright.

Also he's good at hanging around his forwards waiting for offloads and then sprinting into holes.

I just dont know if he is capable of being out 80 min hooker for 26 rounds of hooker, then again maybe Smith isnt after an 80 minute hooker.

macavity

Referee
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23585664-5006066,00.html
NEWCASTLE has moved to fill Danny Buderus' sizeable boots by signing Sharks hooker Isaac De Gois for three seasons. The Knights have been searching for a replacement rake from 2009 onwards since Buderus announced he would finish his career at Leeds last month.

Talks with De Gois have been ongoing for some time, and it is understood an agreement was reached earlier this week. Newcastle officials are hopeful of formally announcing their newest signing this afternoon.

De Gois’ signature comes a day after the Sharks snared sacked Knights hooker Terence Seu Seu for the remainder of this season. Some Newcastle board members were keen to lure Seu Seu back from 2009, but that now appears unlikely given De Gois will be at the club until the end of 2011.

The 23-year-old has played strongly in all six of the Sharks’ NRL games this season.

seems its (almost) official.

macavity

Referee
I think its the workload, not the hit, that isn't great.

then again we are comparing to the best hooker of the modern era.

keeney

First Grade
That can be changed, Smith is good at working out commitment issues. Just an aside, isn't it good to be getting who we want in terms of signings? After years of RNRL 'stars' who aren't up to the pace, NRL discards, and an old gem (Smith), I'm glad that a player we as fans identify as an ideal candidate for a position is the one we sign. As much as I miss Johns, Midley and will miss Buderus, it's great not having the majority of our Salary cap tied up in a few players and being able to attract young and promising players.

MC DUI

Juniors
Sounds good, haven't paid that much attention to the Sharks games but he seems like a good young player with potential.

I just hope we didn't pay overs for him, hopefully that practice went with Hagan.

macavity

Referee
De Gois off to Newcastle
April 23, 2008
NEWCASTLE have signed Cronulla hooker Isaac De Gois on a three-year deal. De Gois will join the Knights in 2009 and is likely to become their first-choice hooker as skipper Danny Buderus is off to finish his career in the UK Super League.
"He was our first choice and his attributes are skill and speed," Knights coach Brian Smith SAID.
"He offers us his own characteristics and qualities. in the same way we didn't try to replace Andrew Johns, we're not trying to replace Danny Buderus because we need Danny's qualities to be picked up by the team and not just one individual.
"(De Gois) suits the way we want our club to move in the future, and fits that mould of skilful attacking hookers."
De Gois caught the Newcastle coach's attention as a Western Suburbs junior before moving into the Wests Tigers senior grades in 2006.
In his debut season at the Sharks last year, the punishing defender played all 24 games.
Newcastle chief executive Steve Burraston said the announcement was another step forward for the Knights as the club continued to rebuild its reputation as a genuine premiership threat.
"He's an exceptionally strong defender, exciting from dummy half, and will be a valuable asset as we prepare for a future without Danny Buderus," Burraston said.
"Isaac is extremely durable, he can play a lot of minutes and he's a great character. We look forward to welcoming him to Newcastle."
AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23585950-23214,00.html