What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

De Vere off to Hull?

ali

Bench
I guess the Broncos have offered hima release if they sign Hodges.

MCRAE: DE VERE IS ONE OF SEVERAL OPTIONS Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list
09:30 - 30 June 2004 Australian Test centre Michael De Vere has issued a come-and-get-me plea to Hull FC.

The 28-year-old Brisbane Broncos ace is looking to head across to the Super League next season and has been putting his name around.

He has already been in contact with Hull three times and director of rugby Shaun McRae admits he has spoken to him about a switch.

He told the Mail: " I have spoken to Michael, but I wouldn't like people to get over excited.

"We are not the only Super League club he has been ringing, he is sounding out a few teams in England."

De Vere can play at centre, wing or full-back and is a prolific goalkicker. He has represented Queensland in State of Origin and Australia and is regarded as one of the best centres to play in Australia in the last few years.

McRae - who is currently back in Australia because his father, Jack, is seriously ill - doesn't want people to get carried away before anything is actually signed.

He explained: "I don't want people getting the wrong idea and start jumping to the wrong conclusion.

"I'll stress now, we haven't made an approach or an offer. He has rung me and I have listened to what he has had to say. That's it, nothing more.

"It is worth pointing out that I have a list of about a dozen overseas players who want to come to this country, and Michael's one of them."

One of the main sticking points regarding any possible deal is the club's quota for overseas players.

Next season will see the figure reduced from four to three spots, and Hull already have former Kiwi international Richard Swain taking one of those allocated places.

If in-form winger Colin Best signs a contract extension it will leave just one place remaining and McRae is keen to find out what the club's situation is likely to be before rushing into any negotiaions.

He said: "We also have to consider that we only have three overseas places next season and we have one filled with Richard Swain.

"That could be two if we agree a new deal and extend Colin Best's contract.

"If Colin stays then we have to seriously consider where we want to strengthen with the other spot. Under those circumstances it's vitally important we get it right because we don't want to waste the spot.

"Say we have Swain and Best do we then go for another back or forward? I'm not sure yet."

Despite suggestions he was staying in Australia for the foreseeable future, McRae will be returning to Hull this weekend.

Although his father is stable he hasn't shown any real signs of improvement, but McRae has been boosted by a lot of best wishes from fans.

He said: "I'm touched and appreciate everyone's thoughts and concern. I'd like to thank everyone.

"Unfortunately, I haven't seen the Leeds game yet but I understand from the people I have spoken to we were very unlucky.

"I'm sure we'll put the disappointment of that loss behind us and take the positives out of that performance."

Dragons_#1

Bench
De Vere can play at centre, wing or full-back and is a prolific goalkicker. He has represented Queensland in State of Origin and Australia and is regarded as one of the best centres to play in Australia in the last few years.
never knew he played for "queensland"???? hope hull or english super league have teh right guy.

Anonymous

Juniors
:shock: :shock: :shock:

It would be tragic if he left. Best centre in the game at the moment (Note to NSW selectors, why the hell haven't you picked him!?!?!?)

Eels Dude

Coach
Dragons_#1 said:
never knew he played for "queensland"???? hope hull or english super league have the right guy.

Maybe they're confusing him somebody called Michael Hunt ;-)

Pigskin

Juniors
I dunno if you lot down South can appreciate anybody in a Broncos jersey

but the guys a true champ, so unassuming, a genuine nice guy

every club needs a guy like Mick DeVere - he may have slowed somewhat in the last season or two, but you won't find many more reliable or durable centres, wingers or fullbacks that kick goals around

he will be missed North of the border I can assure you

Oink !

axl rose

Bench
ali said:
I guess the Broncos have offered hima release if they sign Hodges.

MCRAE: DE VERE IS ONE OF SEVERAL OPTIONS Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list
09:30 - 30 June 2004 Australian Test centre Michael De Vere has issued a come-and-get-me plea to Hull FC.

He told the Mail: " I have spoken to Michael, but I wouldn't like people to get over excited.

"

Dont worry even if he signs they wont be excited. They do get some NRL game over there & do realise he is one of the worst attacking centers in the game. Maybe Broncos can offload Meyers onto them as well. Now that will get them excited!!

Mad Dogg

Juniors
I found it quite funny when somebody pointed out a month or so ago that we have a Michael Hunt and a Karmichael Hunt playing for us. For those who don't know, De Vere used to be named Michael Hunt but changed it (can't remember why now).

De Vere is probably the most solid player in the NRL. Doesn't do anything flashy, but he is a great tackler and always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

Brad Meyers - worst forward in the league.
He's actually started to get back into a bit of form this season (about bloody time!!!). He's certainly not playing like he was in 2001 when he represented Australia, but at least he's making metres again. 2002 and 2003 he probably lost more ground than he made.

iggy plop

First Grade
Saw Meyers play for the Clydesdales a few weeks ago and went terrible. During one particular hit-up he lost his footing, fell to the ground and lost possession without a finger being laid on him.

He looked like new born deer - legs everywhere.

Bennett must let him go.

WayneRooney

Juniors
Mad Dogg said:
I found it quite funny when somebody pointed out a month or so ago that we have a Michael Hunt and a Karmichael Hunt playing for us. For those who don't know, De Vere used to be named Michael Hunt but changed it (can't remember why now).
I thought it was fairly obvious. How would you like to be called Mike Hunt?

axl rose

Bench
Mad Dogg said:

De Vere is probably the most solid player in the NRL. Doesn't do anything flashy, but he is a great tackler and always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

Brad Meyers - worst forward in the league.
He's actually started to get back into a bit of form this season (about bloody time!!!). He's certainly not playing like he was in 2001 when he represented Australia, but at least he's making metres again. 2002 and 2003 he probably lost more ground than he made.

I admit he has improved slightly this year, but im not sure he could really have got any worse. When you compare him to some great Broncos forwards like the Axe or Lazzo or even a powerful runner like Thorn it makes you pretty sick. How slow is he? he just lumbers up and then stops before he hits the line, thats on the rare occasion he actually goes straight. He has the size to do alot of damage but he just seems lazy and disinterested. I always thought the Broncos were a cut throat type of club who didnt accept mediocracy, guess i was wrong.

blaine train

Juniors
devere going to hull? [-o< . most over-rated player in the game. could not score an individual try if it was handed to him. just ask alfie langer what he thinks of him

rooster69

Juniors
blaine train said:
devere going to hull? [-o&lt, post: . most over-rated player in the game. could not score an individual try if it was handed to him. just ask alfie langer what he thinks of him[/quote"]

What does Alfie think of him , I would love to hear it...........I agree he is way overrated..