What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Bell

ozbash

Referee
See he has just been named general manager of football operations.

Is this a good thing ?

ozbash

Referee
Foundation captain Dean Bell has today been appointed General Manager Football Operations in the Vodafone Warriors’ restructured football department.
Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said the newly-created position was one of the key outcomes of the internal and external reviews the club had conducted since July.
Bell (50), who retains his recruitment and development portfolio, said he relished the opportunity of working in the role with new head coach Matthew Elliott.
“I’m excited about the direction we’re heading in, about Matt’s vision for the club and I’m determined to play a big part in it,” he said.
“My job will be to ensure the operational side of our football department is fully integrated and provides seamless support for Matt so he can focus purely on football and especially our NRL team.
“This club means a lot to me. One of the proudest moments of my career was leading the team onto the field that very first night against Brisbane in 1995.
“I’m more passionate than ever about rugby league and want to do all I can to help our club reach its true potential. Pride drove me as a player and it still drives me now in wanting to achieve the best for the Vodafone Warriors.”
Scurrah said Bell’s appointment was integral to strengthening the club’s football programme.
“We couldn’t be more delighted to have someone of Dean’s calibre to fill this critical role as we look towards our 2013 campaign and beyond,” said Scurrah.
“It’s a position which will see Dean charged with covering all operational aspects of the club’s football programme from our development squad, through our NYC set-up, the Vulcans and our NRL team.
“The role will complement Matt’s position, giving him vital support to concentrate on all coaching, training and other demands in the football area with special focus on our NRL team.
“Dean’s pedigree in the game is second to none. It’s fantastic to have true rugby league expertise in a position like this for the first time working alongside our head coach.”
While Elliott was confirmed as head coach only last Friday, he said he was thrilled about the prospect of having Bell’s support as General Manager Football Operations.
“Dean was involved in the coaching appointment process and I was totally impressed with his input throughout,” he said.
“There are few players who have achieved as much in our great game as he has and I know that will be of enormous value as we work together to maximise the club’s potential.”
After his one-year stint as the then-Auckland Warriors’ foundation captain in 1995, Bell returned to England before coming home permanently to take up a welfare and recruitment role with the Vodafone Warriors in 2007.
He finished his playing career after the 1995 seasons as arguably the most-decorated player in New Zealand rugby league history. A 26-Test veteran, he made 253 appearances for Wigan during a trophy-laden eight seasons. Seven times he went to Wembley for the Challenge Cup final and won every time, three of them as captain, while he was also a championship winner with Wigan six times. The Lance Todd Trophy winner (man of the match) in the 1993 Challenge Cup final, he has been inducted as a New Zealand Rugby League ‘Immortal’ and ‘Legend’ while he is also in Wigan’s ‘Hall of Fame’.
DEAN BELL
Born: April 29, 1962
Birthplace: Auckland, NZ
Current position:
Vodafone Warriors recruitment and development manager, 2009-
Previous positions:
Vodafone Warriors NRL football manager, 2010
Vodafone Junior Warriors NYC football manager, 2008-2009
Vodafone Warriors welfare and recruitment manager, 2007
Kiwi football manager, 2008-2009
Wigan rugby executive, 2000-2007
Leeds head coach, 1996-97
Leeds academy head coach, 1998-99
Clubs:
New Zealand – Manukau, Auckland Warriors
England – Carlisle, Leeds, Wigan
Australia – Eastern Suburbs
Representative:
New Zealand, New Zealand Maori, Auckland, South Island, Oceania, Rest of
the World, Cumbria
Playing career:
New Zealand:
Kiwi No: 574 (1983-1989)
Tests: 26, four Tests as captain including 1988 World Cup final
Test Tries: 11
Tour Appearances:
Games: 10 (1985-1987)
Tries: 4
NRL:
Warriors 1995
Club No: 1
Games: 19
Tries: 3 tries
Eastern Suburbs 1985-1988
Club No 779
Games: 40
Tries: 8
England:
Wigan 1986-1994
Games: 253 games
Tries: 96
Leeds 1983-1984
Games: 22
Tries: 4
Carlisle 1982-1983
Games: 23
Tries: 11
Achievements:
Warriors:
Foundation captain
Wigan:
Challenge Cup winner seven times, three as captain
Championship winner six times
John Player Trophy winner five times
Premiership winner two times
Lancashire Cup winner four times
World Sevens winner once
Awards:
Lance Todd Trophy winner 1993
Man of Steel winner 1992
NZRL Player of the Year 1987
NZ Maori Sports Personality of the Year 1994
Inducted into NZRL ‘Immortals’
Inducted into NZRL ‘Legends’
Inducted into Wigan ‘Hall of Fame’
‘This is Your Life’ recipient

www.warriors.co.nz

Last edited:

Skinner

Coach
If this has come out of the "in depth review", then God help every Warriors fan. You don't deserve this..

Aragorn

First Grade
In Dean Bell we trust. hahaha... now just waiting to hear Rubin Wiki's reappointment as defensive coach!

One Warrior

Bench
No this is not good, Dean Bell needed to go and this was the sort of position I feel would of been perfect for Steve Price.

Micistm

Bench
Hmm, flash title, dunno if I like it or not due to not being 100% sure what it means. Matts bitch basically? That'd be okay, IMO he is better there than his previous role.

That is still a smokescreen to that 'intense review' though...sounds like Scurrahs weaseled out of any shit hitting him

Akkerz

Juniors
Another crap decision from the Warriors high & mighty. Bell was one who definately should have gone. If this is the re-structuring process then it's on freaking shaky foundations.

MKEB...

Staff member
Job for the boys...
New Zealand Warriors = Newcastle United
Owen Glenn = Mike Ashley
Wayne Scurrah = Derek LLambias

Akkerz

Juniors
Hard to see what Bell has done to justify keeping his previous position, let alone be promoted.

My guess is that Bell will be the eyes & ears over the coaching team. Apparently Scurrah is going to have little to do with the players etc so he needs a spy to keep backsides covered - especially if Iro moves on.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Which is interesting given Bell has never been a coach?

I dunno, I'd like to hear the club justify what Bell has done. That fact-finding trip to the UK doesn't seem to have borne any fruit

hitman82

Bench
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10841947
It barely raised a mention over the last week but the appointment of Dean Bell as general manager of football operations at the Warriors was an intriguing one.

Bell was previously in charge of recruitment and development at the club, before his latest promotion which was confirmed on Wednesday. The new role had been trumpeted since that infamous press conference in July, when Owen Glenn and Eric Watson announced their intention to create the best sporting franchise in Australasia.

There was a general perception that the role would be an outside appointment but CEO Wayne Scurrah insists that was not a view within the walls.

"That kind of perception was never apparent within the club," says Scurrah. "We like to bring people through and promote from within and will continue to do so. Dean's credentials are impeccable - he is rugby league through and through."

It is a crucial appointment, possibly even more important than the coach.

"Given the issues that the club has, what it has been through over the past year and its current position the Football Operations role is absolutely critical," a prominent New Zealand league identity, who did not want to be named, told the Herald on Sunday two weeks ago. "Forget about the coach - it is that position that is really important and they need to focus on that."

"Dean will oversee everything related to football operationally at the club," says Scurrah, "from our development programme, through to the NYC program, the Vulcans and the NRL side. It leaves Matt to focus on coaching, training and the other football demands that the NRL brings."

While the appointment was announced less than a week after Matt Elliott was confirmed coach, Scurrah is adamant it came after a thorough process and there were other contenders.

"I'm not going to name names but we had discussions with a number of people about the role", says Scurrah. "Matt got to know Dean throughout his own interview process and the two got on well. I think Matt saw that Dean had that potential."

Once Elliott officially came on board, he had the biggest input into who will fill the operations role and quickly plumped for Bell. There are some obvious advantages in the partnership. From his background at Bradford, Canberra and Penrith, Elliott has an extensive range of contacts in both the Super League and the NRL, while Bell has built a relationship with NRL players and agents during his time as head of recruitment. Bell also has vast knowledge of the local scene and a large network of contacts within both rugby and league in this country.

Bell will keep his recruitment role - a demanding full-time position on its own - but will get additional staff and "more than enough support", according to Scurrah, to enable him to juggle both jobs.

Although the new role may look similar to the job that John Hart previously held, Scurrah says they are significantly different.

"John did an excellent job [as Director of Football] but he was also a director on the board and it was a part-time position", says Scurrah. "This new role is a full-time position and we needed a rugby league person in that role".

Rich102

Staff member
I wouldn't have picked Bell as deserving of a promotion, I have been underwhelmed by his signings. Having said that I guess a lot of that came about by decisions above him. (Scurrah.)
Anyway, the decision is made. I will watch with interest. At least now, if things don't progress, I will know who to blame.

This is a job tailor made for Steve Price I would have thought. (Maybe that is what worried Scurrah.)