What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Widders sent home from training

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Freak said:
Ron your a bit harsh!

Deano still has plenty to offer the Eels. Yes it is dissappointing to hear he has not looked after himself in the off season, however I'll be suprised if he does not get trim fairly quick.

Maybe Smith wanted to make an example of the commitment he is looking for this year, and Widders drew the short straw.

Anyway I think Deano is an important part to the success of our side. Remember he is one of only few forwards we could possibly use in the centres quite easily. Magic Step (maybe not so magic 8 kg's over the limit though :roll: )

Don't write him off yet Ron!!

Freak, i think the only way Widders can be an asset to our side is playing in the centres!!, he only looks a chance when running out wide (which he doesn't do enough off) and when running at opposing forwards he hardly makes 5 metres a hit up & is easily taken care off!

If people are concerned that his defence would be exposed outwide then move him back to the forwards when where the defending & put a capable defender in his centre position.

To the others who feel where being slack on Widders or "he's only human" comments...where not!!, he is being payed by our club to perform to his best of his abilities. Sure he can have an offseason and gain a couple of kilos but not put on 2 kg a week!!, esspically considering he has had weight problems in the past....and if i where the employer this would suggest to me that he is lazy & unmotivated...damn i know women who are on diets 24-7 365 days a year because of there line of work.

We have brought some very capable forwards to our club and you'd think Deano would of been aware of this & maybe satrted his preseason 2 weeks earlier to get a jump on his counterparts considering his position isn't exactley secure cough cough 1 year contract only cough cough!!

Nathan Hindmarsh can afford to gain a couple of kilos more as he'a representitive player & proved himself in the past to be a 80 minute player regardless if he gains weight!!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Freak said:
Ron your a bit harsh!

Deano still has plenty to offer the Eels. Yes it is dissappointing to hear he has not looked after himself in the off season, however I'll be suprised if he does not get trim fairly quick.

Maybe Smith wanted to make an example of the commitment he is looking for this year, and Widders drew the short straw.

Anyway I think Deano is an important part to the success of our side. Remember he is one of only few forwards we could possibly use in the centres quite easily. Magic Step (maybe not so magic 8 kg's over the limit though :roll: )

Freak, i think the only way Widders can be an asset to our side is playing in the centres!!, he only looks a chance when running out wide (which he doesn't do enough off) and when running at opposing forwards he hardly makes 5 metres a hit up & is easily taken care off!

If people are concerned that his defence would be exposed outwide then move him back to the forwards when where the defending & put a capable defender in his centre position.

To the others who feel where being slack on Widders or "he's only human" comments...where not!!, he is being payed by our club to perform to his best of his abilities. Sure he can have an offseason and gain a couple of kilos but not put on 2 kg a week!!, esspically considering he has had weight problems in the past....and if i where the employer this would suggest to me that he is lazy & unmotivated...damn i know women who are on diets 24-7 365 days a year because of there line of work.

We have brought some very capable forwards to our club and you'd think Deano would of been aware of this & maybe satrted his preseason 2 weeks earlier to get a jump on his counterparts considering his position isn't exactley secure cough cough 1 year contract only cough cough!!

Nathan Hindmarsh can afford to gain a couple of kilos more as he'a representitive player & proved himself in the past to be a 80 minute player regardless if he gains weight!!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Freak said:
Ron your a bit harsh!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
This is the reason that the chooks let him go.

I saw BS in an interview saying that he will get Widers fitter than he has ever been and that was the only way to get big Deano to be consistent.

BTW, if he put on 8kg and still looked good, why would they send him home?

And Hindy can put on what ever he wants, another 8kg of hair perhaps.

Don't anyone try to tell me that BS does not have favourites.

BrettS

Juniors
RON: LOL, true tho.

As for Widders, he has also had a problem with weight but when fit he can be a valuable team member.

With the players signed Wizz will have a harder time making the top grade, but with Solomona gone Widders will be one of the better ball players in the club.

thedux

Juniors
I think most of you are missing the point. Widders, like everyone else in the squad, would have been given quite clear instructions about what was expected over the rest period. He may have even been expected to gain a couple of pounds which could be shed fairly quickly.....but 8kgs is excessive over such a short period of time. Basically he is already behind the 8-ball which means that he will be playing catch-up for the rest of the off-season and for someone who already has an obvious weight problem, that is unacceptable. It would be like one of us going on leave for a month; the boss expects a certain downrate of work but we come back and start doing the same work we had covered before we left. The idea is to go forward with as little regression as is necessary. Dean's obviously got other priorities aside from Parra which is his right but BS has a job to do.

Parraren

Bench
I don't understand the logic behind sending him home. Make him do extra training I say!! How is sending him home to sit on his fat arse going to help him shed some of those 8 kilos?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Colonel, I remember reading the same line about the Dragons forward some time ago. Maybe we are allbeing taken by a bit of journalistic slight of hand?

I can't imagine a coach sending a player home who is unfit on the very first training day of the season!

fat forwards are prone to putting on weight, because when they are playing their food intack is substantial. Whe they stop training, they don't always get the food reduction balance quite right.

bartman

Immortal
When I read that article in the paper, the first player I thought of was... Vella!

So it's apparently Deano. But so what? I put on weight every Xmas, and lose it again just as quick (usually). These guys get one or two months off a year. So let them relax, because they won't get to from now on!

Fatties will always put on more weight than skinny guys even if everything else is equal. Deano is clearly a fatty. But as long as he works hard at training and he comes back down to playing weight and fitness, then who cares?

As for Smith or any other coach sending a fatty home from training, I'm not sure that makes an example of someone. Make em do twice as many laps etc than other players as an example, AND that will also help them turn things around.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Sorry, but I must disagree.

And sorry Deano, if you happen to read this.

I only saw him play two or three good matches this year. I am very disappointed. He isn't the type of forward we need.

Stagger eel

Staff member
as "dux" indirectly said, each player has an allowance weight to put on over the break it's impossible for any elite athlete to substain the same sort of condition he/she's in after 11 months of solid training. even injured players during the season are required to keep training depending on the nature of their injury.

In Deans case he would be behind the eight ball from the start of Mad Monday simply because of his natural build. I think he over did it!! thats not to say he worked less at keeping his weight down than any other bloke, during the break.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
The Godfather said:
Maybe Warnie's mum has some spare fluid tablets...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

He should come to the gym with me....he'll bust a sweat after a work out with me & the diet??..well let's just say i hope he likes seafood & light milk!

This diet im on is amazing..im looking buffed, the 8 pack & all yet im so lean and 87 kg!!.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
The Godfather said:

He should come to the gym with me....he'll bust a sweat after a work out with me & the diet??..well let's just say i hope he likes seafood & light milk!

This diet im on is amazing..im looking buffed, the 8 pack & all yet im so lean and 87 kg!!.

Photo Ron.............and not in your underwear.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Twizzle said:
Ron Jeremy said:
The Godfather said:

Photo Ron.............and not in your underwear.

It will be arranged...only problem is that i haven't got a tan on my body yet my arms, leg & face are very dark....it looks abit odd!

bartman

Immortal
Ron Jeremy said:
It will be arranged...only problem is that i haven't got a tan on my body yet my arms, leg & face are very dark....it looks abit odd!

Have one of those tan sprays, and then put the photos up on your new website, for the ladies (and others)...

half

Coach
did you get the tan spray tip from queer eye for the straight guy?!?

in summer i only get around in board shorts and thongs. it means i have a great tan except for my ghostly white thighs 'n' butt!