What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dearth of quality five-eighths in the competition

philstorm

Juniors
It says alot about the state of the game that Ben Roberts is one of the nominees for Five-Eighth of the year.

Why is there so little talent at Five-Eighth in recent years?

Lockyer, Anasta, Inglis, Marshall (when he played there) aside ... who else is there?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I agree but I can see where his nomination came from - when he turns it on, boy does he turn it on. He was the NZ halfback btw.

philstorm said:
It says alot about the state of the game that Jamie Lyon is one of the nominees for Five-Eighth of the year.

Why is there so little talent at Five-Eighth in recent years?

Lockyer, Anasta, Inglis, Marshall (when he played there) aside ... who else is there?

Fixt.

Timmah

Staff member
Tunguska said:
Yeah Lyon. Ridiculous. Anasta. Ridiculous.

Bird should have been there.

Bird was nominated. Why don't people check out information before posting?

Mr Saab

Referee
Timmah said:
I agree but I can see where his nomination came from - when he turns it on, boy does he turn it on. He was the NZ halfback btw.

Thats like saying Casey McGuire is an origin player

Timmah

Staff member
Mullen clearly wasn't fit and didn't play enough to warrant nomination :lol:

Good point, why the heck wasn't he there?

He was, does anyone read?

lockyno1

Post Whore
It has been a poor year all round for five-eigths. IMO, Lockyer has been out for 1/3rd of the year and STILL gets the 5/8th of the year!

Johns Magic

Referee
Timmah said:
Mullen clearly wasn't fit and didn't play enough to warrant nomination :lol:

I'm aware of that you muppet.

I was responding to the original question of which other quality 5/8s are around.

Timmah

Staff member
Still yet to prove his worth IMO, yet to play anything near a full season. Hope he does though, it'll be good to see how he goes.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
The 5/8 position is redundant in the modern game. Darren Lockyer will be the last of the great natural 5/8's (the fact that he played half of his career at FB not withstanding). But even now he plays a hell of a lot of first reciever.

keeney

First Grade
It's a shame the position is undergoing such a transformation within most clubs team structures. A quality 5/8 ala Fitler or Daley is a joy to watch in full flight.

Johns Magic

Referee
Timmah said:
Still yet to prove his worth IMO, yet to play anything near a full season. Hope he does though, it'll be good to see how he goes.

Hence why I only said he's better than the likes of Roberts.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
The lack of Witt was pretty pissweak, considering how solid he's actually been.

Clearly the Dally M voters read the Manly section of these forums.

Timmah

Staff member
Who's also only just finishing his first season. When he's good, he's very good. When he's indifferent, he's woeful.

Much like Mullen. Played some sensational club games but a flat and crappy kicking game and passing game in SOO1 was of concern.

Latest posts