What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dearth of quality five-eighths in the competition

Murphdogg1

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Roberts is the worst 5/8th in the comp

He must have had the worst season of any player nominated for a Dally M ever

Witt had to be nominated, seriously. Or Finch. At least these guys have held down the position all season in successful teams. If I had to pick out two 5/8ths who have been absolutely dreadful this year I'd have gone Lyon and Roberts.

Why the hell are you so anti Ben Roberts?

He is only 22 years old and this is his first year of genuine first grade.

on his day (eg Dogs v Broncs at Suncorp) he can really carve up an opposition. He easily has the longest kicking game of any Kiwi half going round so i for one hope he gets picked for the Test in Wellington and All Golds tour.

Sure he can also have a shocker but cut him some slack in terms of a half he is only a young-un and hes got tonnes of potential. I for one hope he has a quality finals series.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Murphdogg1 said:
Why the hell are you so anti Ben Roberts?

He is only 22 years old and this is his first year of genuine first grade.

on his day (eg Dogs v Broncs at Suncorp) he can really carve up an opposition. He easily has the longest kicking game of any Kiwi half going round so i for one hope he gets picked for the Test in Wellington and All Golds tour.

Sure he can also have a shocker but cut him some slack in terms of a half he is only a young-un and hes got tonnes of potential. I for one hope he has a quality finals series.

I'm anti him because he is an utterly dreadful player

22 is not particularly young by today's standards so that hardly helps your case. A 22 year old in his first genuine year of first grade= he wasn't good enough before.

But yeah- I'm just anti him because he is complete crap.

aqua_duck

Coach
Roberts is terrible, he's the willie Tonga of 5/8th (doesn't like to pass the ball). He's talented but I think he tries to play on instinct too much. I've seen him at times try to step an opponent and run when he's got a 3 man overlap. Also one of the worst defenders in the comp, dead set turnstyle

Hurriflatch

Referee
melon.... said:
Is that why Lyon tore Parra a new one when they played them?

Finch chokes in the big games. Watch it against the Warriors.

He was playing centre when he scored the tries

Shorty

Staff member
I think Carney has had a great year,but Canberra don't really get noticed much lol.

Phillips

Referee
Timmah said:
I agree but I can see where his nomination came from - when he turns it on, boy does he turn it on. He was the NZ halfback btw.

just shows the lack of quality NZ have in the halves.

Ben Roberts is barely a first grader, and hopefully will never represent New Zealand again

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Shorty said:
I think Carney has had a great year,but Canberra don't really get noticed much lol.

Carney could have had a great year but it was interupted by him being a jackass off the field. Next year he will kill it though.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Once canberra find a halfback good enough, Carney will be a perminate 5/8th, and will be the #1 6 in the game. Mullen will not be far behind, assuming he goes back to #6 next year

The future of 5/8ths is in safe hands

D

Deleted member 10972

Every club has a genuine 5-8 of sorts

Storm - Aitken (they just don't use him, prefer Inglis)
Manly - Burns (same, prefer Lyon)
NQLD - Smith
Warriors - Witt
Eels - Finch
Bulldogs - Roberts/Holdsworth
Souths - Smith/Williams (both can play 5-8)
Broncos - Lockyer
Tigers - Marshall/Morris (both 5-8's IMO)
Roosters - Anasta
Sharks - Dykes
Titans - Lewis/Campbell
Dragons - Chase
Raiders - Carney/Campese
Knights - Mullen
Panthers - Wallace/Williams

Just that none of them bar Anasta, Lockyer, Witt & Chase, have had good seasons.

Noa

First Grade
The Mack said:
Every club has a genuine 5-8 of sorts

Storm - Aitken (they just don't use him, prefer Inglis)
Manly - Burns (same, prefer Lyon)
NQLD - Smith
Warriors - Witt
Eels - Finch
Bulldogs - Roberts/Holdsworth
Souths - Smith/Williams (both can play 5-8)
Broncos - Lockyer
Tigers - Marshall/Morris (both 5-8's IMO)
Roosters - Anasta
Sharks - Dykes
Titans - Lewis/Campbell
Dragons - Chase
Raiders - Carney/Campese
Knights - Mullen
Panthers - Wallace/Williams

Just that none of them bar Anasta, Lockyer, Witt & Chase, have had good seasons.

I thick its harsh to say Inglis hasnt had a good season, as the stats (& we know what they say about stats) say that he's been the best 5/8 in the comp.

I think its more that it hasnt been as good as it should of been if Bellamy hadnt been so impatient and what we were looking forward to at the start of the year.

Beacuse certainly going by your standards if you think Anasta and Chase have had good seasons then Greg definately has had a "good" season.

Latest posts