What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dearth of quality five-eighths in the competition

Dr Crane said:
The lack of Witt was pretty pissweak, considering how solid he's actually been.

Clearly the Dally M voters read the Manly section of these forums.

Yeah they had to have 1 spot for Lyon, it was in his contract.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
philstorm said:
Wasn't there only 4? ...

Inglis
Roberts
Lockyer
Anasta

He was nominated at lock. Therefore still earned a nomination. He didn't play much five-eighth until the Dyke & his nodding bitch were ruled out.

Steve11

Juniors
philstorm said:
Wasn't there only 4? ...

Inglis
Roberts
Lockyer
Anasta

Thats what I thought, Bird was nominated for lock not 5/8. Some should check before posting, really.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
the people in this thread were carrying on like Bird hadn't been nominated for anything ;-)

Packy

Bench
S.S.T.I.D said:
The 5/8 position is redundant in the modern game. Darren Lockyer will be the last of the great natural 5/8's (the fact that he played half of his career at FB not withstanding). But even now he plays a hell of a lot of first reciever.

That's what I was thinking.

Edwahu

Bench
Carney plays close to the style of the classic 5/8th when he is selected there. He needs to work on his defense a bit but he was killing it at 6 untill he screwed up.

Rod

Bench
Next year Mullen and Carney should go close, though Carney will probably be at halfback. If Benji had played a full year he could've been in the mix this year.

maple_69

Bench
I think theres actually plenty around, but the new found obsession with converting superstars into crap 5/8s is killing the position. Inglis, Lyon, Gasnier...
Burns and Michael Monaghan are (for a few more games) at Manly, why the hell do they put Lyon there? They are both great 5/8ths
Dobson Campese and Carney whoever is picked at 5/8 also have a lot of talent and potential.
Rangi Chase if he was actually played at 5/8 would be good.
Mullen or even Gidley if they were played at 5/8 would be good.
Wallace should be good for the Broncos and Sammut also came through for Penrith and is likely to play at 5/8 and has a big future ahead of him.

My point is two pronged-Anasta sucks (worst thing since Brett Finch) and there are talented players there but like others have said coaching philosophies are changing, perhaps for the better, but certainly to the detriment of the stand off position.

shiznit

Coach
whats the matter with ben roberts. he deserved to be nominated. hes had a pretty good season this year. sure he wasnt going to win it but hes been pretty solid and has had some brilliant moments.

i cant believe i see people putting Anasta up there.... at the most he had 5 good games all year. what the hell happened in the other 20 or so games?? Ben Roberts has been alot more consistant than Anasta.

philstorm said:
It says alot about the state of the game that Ben Roberts is one of the nominees for Five-Eighth of the year.

Why is there so little talent at Five-Eighth in recent years?

Lockyer, Anasta, Inglis, Marshall (when he played there) aside ... who else is there?

How can you not mention John Morris.
Ousted Marshall from 5/8
And ousted Farah from hooker
The game's best 5/8 since Daniel Fitzhenry

Funny stuff Manonthehill, had me going as Marshall is a cat.

But ole Fitzy, you must be crying a river that he's going.

kooriguy

Juniors
we all know todd carney is the best 5/8 in the comp but didnt win because of a conspiracy against canberra.. its true

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Roberts is the worst 5/8th in the comp

He must have had the worst season of any player nominated for a Dally M ever

Witt had to be nominated, seriously. Or Finch. At least these guys have held down the position all season in successful teams. If I had to pick out two 5/8ths who have been absolutely dreadful this year I'd have gone Lyon and Roberts.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The role of a 5/8 has changed so much recently. All the ball playing in the side is left to the Halfback and Fullback, most 5/8's are just good ball runners who hit holes and can offload in tackles.

Latest posts