What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decreasing size of Schooner glasses

Copa

Bench
Used to be a schooner was 425ml. I always thought it was this size everywhere.... however, I've noticed that in a few community clubs in Canbera the glass is actually a lot smaller and the glass volume is not written anywhere on the glass..

I only realised this 'cause my partner often buys drinks in a bottle and then pours it into a schooner glass. Some of the glasses are full at 375ml.

posh

Juniors
its called a shmiddy, a mix between a schooner and a middy. most clubs have gone that way

woodgers

Bench
Not at the Jammo

Best beers anywhere in the world there.....

What is the deal with Middy's though (or pots if you are from Vic). That is 3 gulps isn't it? I have never bought one from memory. The only reason I could think that you would get a middy is if the missus was picking you up in 2 minutes or you could only stomach super cold beer and didn't like the bottom half of the schooner.

Any Copa, this is a top thread and probably should be moved to 4 corners as it is a worldly issue!

Copa

Bench
Raider Ultra said:
What clubs is that? Every club I go to sells 425mls...
I will not name and shame.... but a few of them are at it.

Often the glasses look and feel like schooners but they are just slightly smaller..

I bet many drinkers haven't realised they aren't getting 425mls. I didn't even notice for 6 months at the first place I realised was at it. Like I said in my first post: I only realised this 'cause my partner often buys drinks in a bottle and then pours it into a schooner glass. Some of the glasses are full at 375ml. I often order a schooner and her drink at the same time.

You order a schooner but you don't get one.

It's very misleading.

Copa

Bench
I've just found this in the Sydney Morning Herald

http://www.smh.com.au/news/heckler/bring-back-the-schooner/2005/07/06/1120329505138.html

It's Luis Izzo's shout, but don't ask him for a schmiddy.

Purchasing beer was traditionally a simple task, and this made me happy. For decades Sydney beer has only ever been available in two sizes - the middy and the schooner. More simply put, you could get a big glass or you could get a little glass. Too easy. And then some publican somewhere in Sydney's CBD or trendy inner-east invented the "schmiddy". Overnight, my world transformed.

For a start, most city pubs and bars stopped referring to glasses of beer as schooners. Now you simply order "a" beer. This new form of beer looks like a schooner, even feels like a schooner, but on closer inspection (and with a trusty measuring cup by your side) you will notice that the beer measures a paltry 350 millilitres. Now a schooner is 425 millilitres, so this new form of beer can't be a schooner. Maybe it's a middy, you ask. But no, that's not right either. A middy is 285 millilitres. And then you realise - it's a schmiddy.

What's wrong with introducing a new size of beer you might ask. Well, nothing really. Infact, if anything, it provides more variety. But if you think I'm being overly sensitive you are placing far too much trust in Sydney publicans. You see, not only did the schooner mysteriously disappear from 75 per cent of city bars the day the schmiddy was introduced but, more horrifically, the schmiddy - at 75 millilitres less than a schooner - entered our city bars at exactly the same price as bars were once charging for a schooner. Now you see the problem.

My research has led me to interview scores of bartenders who seem to have more loyalty to the average drinker than to their employers. These bartenders around the city have always freely admitted to me that yes, I am being conned. And yes, there was no price change when the schooner was replaced by the schmiddy.

But they were shocked to realise that someone actually noticed. They seem to think the average suit who walks into a bar just slaps their credit card down without having a clue what they're ordering.

posh

Juniors
only posh, on the forum tells the truth!

(Not that i condone the sale of schimddys, in fact when working at my last job i made a point of selling bottled beer.)

paulquinn49

Bench
Can't say I have ever seen a Schmiddy, definately wouldnt cop it if someone tried palming one to me for the same price as a schooner either.

On a side note, had XXXX in NQ on the weekend. A very solid beer imo

paulquinn49

Bench
I don't really care about international beers etc, but in 30 degree heat and humidity anything tastes good. Wonder if I can find a pub around my area that does XXXX.

Until I try it down here i'll stick to rating it

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
No wonder people don't notice the difference. When you fill a schooner with a 375 ml can or bottle, it almost fils it to the top. To reduce the height of a schooner by this very small amount would hardly be noticable, even if you put them side by side. Only then would it really be possible to tell the difference.

I think it is a rip off that they are giving you less for the same price, but I wouldn't care one bit if they reduced the cost to fit the amount you get.

hrundi99

First Grade
Raider Ultra said:
XXXX is absolute crap, as is all Australian mainstream beer.

Beer snob... :crazy:

XXXX gold is fine and easy to drink.

Carlton Draught, Carlton Cold, Reschs, Melbourne Bitter, New, Tooheys Extra Dry are all just fine with a budget in mind.

I will agree that VB is rubbish.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Not a snob, just been to enough places to realise that we're served crap in Australia that is served blisteringly cold to disguise it's inadequacy. Plus I don't mind ales, very few of which come from Australia. Gold is the worst of the lot, tastes like crap and isn't even full strength.

hrundi99 said:
Beer snob... :crazy:

XXXX gold is fine and easy to drink.

Carlton Draught, Carlton Cold, Reschs, Melbourne Bitter, New, Tooheys Extra Dry are all just fine with a budget in mind.

I will agree that VB is rubbish.