What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Definition of a choke?

GongPanther

Referee
F**k em.

They wouldn't have been in this position if they rightly played the Parramatta match in Wollongong.

The St George arm of this fragmented merger didn't notice or chose to ignore that they are always a team under immense pressure when they play at Oki-Choki Stadium in Kogarah.

You put your left foot in...

Ridders

Coach
I guess it's just me then, i just feel that if you are outplayed in both your losses, i don't really see it as a choke more that they weren't good enough or, as Eelectrica said, ran out of gas towards the end of the season.

Avenger

Immortal
choke-300x297.jpg

Loudstrat

Coach
Greg Norman leads the US PGA from day 1 up until the final, and double bogies the last 4 holes inexplicably. Some nuffy manages par, and pips him.

The defenition thus is losing the unloseable without any input from the opposition. We managed that perfectly in 1998. Lead 18-4 with 11 minutes left - and lose.

There was no Paul Cariage in the red V. Brisbane played too good for them. It's not a choke. It's a defeat.

Last edited:

Ridders

Coach
Greg Norman leads the US PGA from day 1 up until the final, and double bogies the last 4 holes inexplicably. Some nuffy called manages par, and pips him.

The defenition thus is losing the unloseable without any input from the opposition. We managed that perfectly in 1998. Lead 18-4 with 11 minutes left - and lose.

There was no Paul Cariage in the red V. Brisbane played too good for them. It's not a choke. It's a defeat.

Thankyou, that is exactly how i define a choke.

mickdo

Coach
I guess it's just me then, i just feel that if you are outplayed in both your losses, i don't really see it as a choke more that they weren't good enough or, as Eelectrica said, ran out of gas towards the end of the season.

So you are saying Parra didn't choke in the 2001 GF?

Eelectrica

Referee
Greg Norman leads the US PGA from day 1 up until the final, and double bogies the last 4 holes inexplicably. Some nuffy called manages par, and pips him.

I'd go along with that. Having a game in the bag and losing it for mine is a choke.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
I agree with Ridders and Loudstrat.

It is not as simple as saying "not delivering when it counts constitutes a choke". As stated before, if they haven't been playing well for the last 6 weeks then that is a loss of form, or proof that they are just not that good, its not a choke.

I'd go so far as to say that choking is one of the most overused terms in sport these days. Anytime a favourite loses it is considered choking.

For a start, I think that any inexperienced player should never be accused of choking. In this month's Inside Sport, Mark Carroll said that in his first Grand Final he had played the game over and over in his head so often during the week that he was mentally tired on the day, and was hopeless. The next year he was fine. Was his first one a choke? No, absolutely not. It was a learning experience. Yes, the Dragons as a club have been in this situation before, but quite a few of their players, including their halfback, haven't.

Choking is when an experienced player, who should know better, lets the pressure of a big match affect their thinking, and they start making mental errors, and basically freeze up. It's a lot rarer than people think, and shouldn't be confused with normal nerves, which everyone has.

Ron Jeremy

Coach

dude it's a choke, plan and simple. If we were to loose to you guys next week it wont be a choke as it's expected due toyour position to win, if you loose it will be a choke, not as bad as the Dragons one however.

Eels Dude

Coach

If they were good enough to finish on top of the competition after 26 rounds of the regular season then they should be good enough to beat every other side in the comp on any given day. The fact that they have been beaten comprehensively by lesser sides the past two weeks confirms they underperformed in the games that count. Hence a "choke'.

whistle1

Juniors
how is it not a choke?

They lead the season and become Minor Premiers. They were the hot favourites for the premiership.

They then struggle under finals pressure and get their a$$ses handed to them by teams 6 and 8 on the ladder. They couldn't cope. How that isn't a choke, is beyond me.

Last edited:

Ridders

Coach
So you are saying Parra didn't choke in the 2001 GF?

I think they are slightly different circumstances. Parra were white hot that year, breaking records everywhere and yet absolutely disappeared for one half of the GF, while the Dragons have been outplayed for both of their Finals games.

Last edited:
dude it's a choke, plan and simple. If we were to loose to you guys next week it wont be a choke as it's expected due toyour position to win, if you loose it will be a choke, not as bad as the Dragons one however.

I disagree. If both teams play near their best irrelevent of who wins, it will not be a choke. If one team brings their a-game and the other plays like a bunch of busteds, it would be a choke.

Eelectrica

Referee
how is it not a choke?

They lead the season and become Minor Premiers. They were the hot favourites for the premiership.

They then struggle under finals pressure and get their a$$ses handed to them by teams 6 and 8 on the ladder. How that isn't a choke, is beyond me.
Different way of looking at it I guess. Sometimes the underdog just rises to the occasion a little better.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
If dogs lose next week would that be considered a "choke"??

it's not that eimple.

it depends hpow they play. Parra could choke too.

Being favourites or underdogs doesn't affect the definition of choking - it is how you react mentally to situations during the game.