What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Definition of a choke?

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Different way of looking at it I guess. Sometimes the underdog just rises to the occasion a little better.
Exactly!

And people seem to forget that it is easier to be the underdog. They have the most basic and best form of motivation - proving themselves worthy and sticking it to their detractors.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
it's not that eimple.

it depends hpow they play. Parra could choke too.

Being favourites or underdogs doesn't affect the definition of choking - it is how you react mentally to situations during the game.

so B-tron, Parra's stage fright in the 2001 GF wasn't a choke?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
i agree with others views on choking, however factors like being favourites and having stage fright on the big day surely add to the fact.

mickdo

Coach
I think they are slightly different circumstances. Parra were white hot that year, breaking records everywhere and yet absolutely disappeared for one half of the GF, while the Dragons have been outplayed for both of their Finals games.

See, you say we disappeared, but I would just say we were outplayed by Newcastle who were absolutely on fire in that first half.

Both are chokes. You don't get to be minor premiers by sucking, and you don't go out backwards in the finals from top spot without choking, unless you have injuries as an excuse, which they didn't.

Southernsaint

Staff member
"Choke" is just lazy analysis from clowns on the internet trying to get a rise out of other fans...

To say a team "choked" gives no respect to their opposition.

Saints were the best team over the course of the year but time and time again in recent seasons, it's whoever is hot at the end of the season that takes it all rather than the team that was consistent over the 26 weeks...

Oh well, good luck to whoever wins.

Ridders

Coach
See, you say we disappeared, but I would just say we were outplayed by Newcastle who were absolutely on fire in that first half.

Both are chokes. You don't get to be minor premiers by sucking, and you don't go out backwards in the finals from top spot without choking, unless you have injuries as an excuse, which they didn't.

Thats the thing, Dragons were MP because of their great form for the start and middle of the season, however their form going into the Finals was pretty poor.

In contrary the Eels in 01 demolished the Warriors in the first week of the Finals and breezed past the Broncos to get into the GF. The Eels choke is more attributed to the fact that they were one of the most dominant teams the NRL had ever seen, both on attack and defense. If not for their dominance, the choking angle wouldn't be as big as it got.

Last edited:

ozjet1

Parra took the opening 3 months of the season off. Brisbane took a holiday half way through.
Both teams turned up just in time for the finals and are both on a roll.

and the NRL will never capture the imagination of a large audience for the entirety of any given season because of this. the fact that after 6 months of competition, half the participants are able to qualify for the one month where it is all decided, just further dilutes the importance of regular season games.

domestic european leagues operate a pure league system of home & away against every team with every game contributing to determining the championship. on the other hand, the NFL play fewer games in its regular season, using it as a seeding mechanism for the playoffs. in the end, both systems put a great emphasis on winning games.

the NRL and the AFL operate a hybrid. the regular seasons are similar to the european football leagues. the round-robin then finals setup is similar to the NFL, but wth more games which end up being suprlus in the final washup. Parra have proven that March to May is just an extension of the pre-season, as their results during this period dont count for anything.

make more games in the regular season important. if finals are to determine the premiership, then shorten the season. make more games MUST wins.

Last edited:

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
so B-tron, Parra's stage fright in the 2001 GF wasn't a choke?

Well, if you read my posts I don't suggest that choking doesn't happen. I just don't think it happens as often as people say. And of course stage fright plays a part. But there is a big difference between someone being nervous and the opposition using those nerves to their advantage, and someone totally f**king up and freezing on the field because they "choke".

To be honest, I don't think I'm close enough to the players to really know what went down in 2001.

Did the Parra players make horrendously bad decisions on the day, or were they just outplayed? I can't answer that because I have never watched it again! Newcastle fans are probably in a better position to answer that!

But, at a guess, I'd say it was a combination of nerves and Newcastle's rep players knowing that they could win. I'd say that, at worst, it was probably a little bit of a choke. Ridders is right, people think it was a massive choke simply because we ran amok during the season. But recently they showed the last round of the 2001 regular season on Fox, and there were cracks starting to show before the Finals if you ask me.

Beretov Ukraine

Juniors
and the NRL will never capture the imagination of a large audience for the entirety of any given season because of this. the fact that after 6 months of competition, half the participants are able to qualify for the one month where it is all decided, just further dilutes the importance of regular season games.

domestic european leagues operate a pure league system of home & away against every team with every game contributing to determining the championship. on the other hand, the NFL play fewer games in its regular season, using it as a seeding mechanism for the playoffs. in the end, both systems put a great emphasis on winning games.

the NRL and the AFL operate a similar system to the NFL, but wth more games which end up being suprlus in the final washup. Parra have proven that March to May is just an extension of the pre-season, as their results during this period dont count for anything.

make more games in the regular season important. if finals are to determine the premiership, then shorten the season. make more games MUST wins.

Best. Post. Ever...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Well, if you read my posts I don't suggest that choking doesn't happen. I just don't think it happens as often as people say. And of course stage fright plays a part. But there is a big difference between someone being nervous and the opposition using those nerves to their advantage, and someone totally f**king up and freezing on the field because they "choke".

To be honest, I don't think I'm close enough to the players to really know what went down in 2001.

Did the Parra players make horrendously bad decisions on the day, or were they just outplayed? I can't answer that because I have never watched it again! Newcastle fans are probably in a better position to answer that!

But, at a guess, I'd say it was a combination of nerves and Newcastle's rep players knowing that they could win. I'd say that, at worst, it was probably a little bit of a choke. Ridders is right, people think it was a massive choke simply because we ran amok during the season. But recently they showed the last round of the 2001 regular season on Fox, and there were cracks starting to show before the Finals if you ask me.

I've watched the game a few times since, and the players you could tell were as nervous as all sh*t throughout the early part of the game. Yes we did make alot of stupid decisions, but that was definately a choke, we were star struc by the occasion.

Before the GF we played Brisbane after the week off, that particuloar game we were god awful, and anyother side perhaps may have beaten us, i put that down to the week off andloosing some continuity as passes were goingall over the place. The game before that we belted the Warriors 56-12.

mickdo

Coach
Thats the thing, Dragons were MP because of their great form for the start and middle of the season, however their form going into the Finals was pretty poor.

And that poor form going into the finals was part of the choke. When the business end of the season kicked in, they went missing. They got top spot, a home final, played 8th, and lost. Then they got a second bite at the cherry against 6th, and lost. Somewhere on the freeway down the Canberra, they began to feel a tightness in the throat, and it just kept getting tighter.

Eelectrica

Referee

the NRL and the AFL operate a hybrid. the regular seasons are similar to the european football leagues. the round-robin then finals setup is similar to the NFL, but wth more games which end up being suprlus in the final washup. Parra have proven that March to May is just an extension of the pre-season, as their results during this period dont count for anything.

You won't get any argument from me, good luck convincing Gallop though.

mickdo

Coach
Before the GF we played Brisbane after the week off, that particuloar game we were god awful, and anyother side perhaps may have beaten us, i put that down to the week off andloosing some continuity as passes were goingall over the place. The game before that we belted the Warriors 56-12.

Yeah, the signs were all there against Brisbane. We by no means blew them away (8 point margin IIRC), and struggled to put them away, despite them having plenty of injuries. Then a week later, the rest was history.

pantherz9103

First Grade
The Broncos of 2008 conceding a try in the dying seconds to lose to Melbourne is another example. Hopefully next week there's no choke from them, I'd just like to see them get belted.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
if we lose to the dogs it couldn't be classed as a choke

Course it can.

This is the problem with the perception of choking - people think that only favourites can choke and anytime a favourite doesn't play 100% then it is considered a choke.

If the Eels totally freeze and continuously make bad decisions due to nerves - and I mean really bad decisions - then they can be considered to choke as much as the Dogs.

GongPanther

Referee
"Choke" is just lazy analysis from clowns on the internet trying to get a rise out of other fans...

To say a team "choked" gives no respect to their opposition.

Saints were the best team over the course of the year but time and time again in recent seasons, it's whoever is hot at the end of the season that takes it all rather than the team that was consistent over the 26 weeks...

Oh well, good luck to whoever wins.

Sure it might be lazy Southern,but you don't hear of any other side being associated with the description "Choked".

But if it wasn't a choke,the coach must have something to answer for.

And Sailor...god I thought I'd never see the day he would be playing for the Broncos again.

But not to worry,this team WILL be a better squad for the experience in 2010.

But whether they choke again is a different question.