What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DeMerge Magpies and Tigers

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
March 2016 will be a interesting time

If Balmain cannot make their joint venture repayment of $2mil

Wests Ashfield will just buy the Balmain share.

And they have no intention of changing anything about the club.

If they don't buy it, Harry Triguboff likely will.

alien

Referee
While your at it Souths Cronulla merger would work too

the mighty rabbitohs have the richest history in the league, and have over 35,000 members! we aren't merging with anyone! :cool:

sharks can merge with st. merge to create "st george illawarra sharks"! :mrgreen:

alien

Referee
They need to de merge Wests & tigers & do the merger right this time round

Wests to merge with penrith ( Western Sydney panthers)
Balmain to merge with Pareamatta ( parramatta tigers)

it doesn't matter now, but at the time i would have preferred wests forming a joint venture with parramatta (not that parra needed to though), instead of balmain. parramatta magpies, black and white jersey (with some blue and gold), split the home games evenly between parra and c'town, 2 massive junior districts, plenty of money from both. it would have been the super club of western sydney. parra at the time were willing to form a joint venture with some one, even though they didn't need to.

p.s. balmange could have merged with canterbury to form the "cat dogs", or with penrith to form the "big cats" :)

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
In 1998, i reckon it would have been better to merge the dying Sydney teams with the expansion locations. Eg: Bears + Perth, Tigers + Melbourne, etc. Keeping the classic identities while keeping the expansion locations. It really is a shame we didnt get teh 1998-reconstruction right; that was an opportunity to restructure the game that will never come again and it could have given the whole SL saga a bright side....

Having said that, if the Sydney mergers were the only options, i would have gone:
- Balmain + Norths
- Wests + Penrith
Souths > melbourne

rabbitohs95

Bench
In 1998, i reckon it would have been better to merge the dying Sydney teams with the expansion locations. Eg: Bears + Perth, Tigers + Melbourne, etc. Keeping the classic identities while keeping the expansion locations. It really is a shame we didnt get the 1998-reconstruction right; that was an opportunity to restructure the game that will never come again and it could have given the whole SL saga a bright side....

Having said that, if the Sydney mergers were the only options, i would have gone:
- Balmain + Norths
- Wests + Penrith
Souths > melbourne

Yeah I agree with that. It was a critical time for our sport and Australian sport in general and sacrifices had to be made.

Would we have been better off with fewer Sydney teams by now? I'm not too sure.

I do think that we should have gone the AFL route with mainly re-location.

alien

Referee
In 1998, i reckon it would have been better to merge the dying Sydney teams with the expansion locations. Eg: Bears + Perth, Tigers + Melbourne, etc. Keeping the classic identities while keeping the expansion locations. It really is a shame we didnt get teh 1998-reconstruction right; that was an opportunity to restructure the game that will never come again and it could have given the whole SL saga a bright side....

that would have been relocations, not mergers or joint ventures, and yes i agree that would have been better.

the magpies weren't dying though, they were financial. they just had a couple of very crap years which meant low crowds for those years and those 2 things hurt their criteria points alot. the nrl was short-sighted - they only looked at the short-term

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
that would have been relocations, not mergers or joint ventures, and yes i agree that would have been better.

the magpies weren't dying though, they were financial. they just had a couple of very crap years which meant low crowds for those years and those 2 things hurt their criteria points alot. the nrl was short-sighted - they only looked at the short-term

The short term. Bandwagoners?

alien

Referee
haha just came across this article on the internet. it's obviously a prank, but just the thought disgusts me nonetheless! :lol:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wests Tigers Board Begs Rabbitohs To Merge Into Joint Venture

Wests-feature.jpg

7 September, 2015. 11:10
IMRAN GASHKORI | Sports Editor | Contact

One of the NRL’s youngest clubs, Wests Tigers, have today asked yet another Sydney-based Rugby League franchise to join their combined venture.

The independently appointed chairperson for the Wests Tigers board, Marina Go, has said that the South Sydney Rabbitohs have been given the option to merge forces with the Tigers brand, in the same way the Western Suburbs Magpies did at the end of the 1999 season.

With two heritage Sydney clubs, a joint-venture club between the Balmain Tigers and the Magpies formed the Wests Tigers. This was despite the fact that Balmain no longer hosts any rugby league fans.

“This is a matter of keeping the tiger alive and South Sydney are aware of how important this is. All we are asking is they entertain they idea of joining our rugby league powerhouse,” said Mrs Go.

“There are no rules that say we can’t have a team that represents three clubs. And despite their grand final win last year, the Rabbitohs could use a bit of support. It’s up to them whether or not they decide to join the ‘Inner-Sydney Tigers’. This really hasn’t been about the Western Suburbs for quite some time,”

marina-go.jpg

Marina Go, publisher of Hearst titles at Bauer Media and chairwoman of the Wests Tigers, says Souths would be stupid to not join her joint venture

Nick Pappas, chairman of the the 107-year-old South Sydney Rabbitohs has already responded to the Wests Tigers proposal,

“I think it’s ludicrous that this half-hearted group of fairweather Balmain supporters actually think that the Tiger should remain in the comp,”

“There is not a frozen chance in hell that the Rabbitohs will merge with any other club, no chance at all”

“Wests Tigers need to focus on book-keeping and the simple management of Harry Triguboff’s money. They cannot possibly expect another club to help prop them up,”

“Balmain is full of young profesionals that support the Sydney Swans, they are looking good for a wooden spoon this year and have about seven home grounds. We are not interested”

However, It seems that South Sydney might have no choice in the matter, according to NRL CEO Dave Smith.

“Aye, Souths had a good win last year, a good win. But aye, to keep this game strong in Sydney we need to do all we can to help Sydney teams win.” Said Dave Smith

“Wests aint bin’ winning but Souths ‘ave bin’. Best to combine Wests with Souths,”

souths-dogs.jpg

Robbie Farah has said Greg Inglis would look good in “stripes”

It is believed that Russell Crowe has been blacklisted from the NRL headquarters at Moore Park, for fear that Dave Smith will be brutally assaulted if Crowe were to get anywhere near him.

Wests Tigers Captain, Robbie Farah has said he looks forward to bossing around Michael Mcguire next year as the premiership winning coach is expected to take coaching priority over current Wests coach, Jason Taylor.

“Jason remembers what happened last time he was coaching the boys from South Sydney. It’s pretty close to happening again,” said Farah.

“He’s gotta go, he’s really cramping my style. Hopefully we can pull of this three-way joint venture with Souths and I’ll be able to finish my career bossing around Madge.”

jason-taylor.jpg

Hard done by … Jason Taylor’s face after he was assaulted by his own player while coaching South Sydney in the early 2000s

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/sports/wests-tigers-board-begs-rabbitohs-to-merge-into-joint-venture/

Abz

Juniors
i for one wouldn't mind those 2 teams separating from joint ventures but what it would do is drive them into financial stress which in this day and age is not something that would be easily solved unless they get privatized which won't happen

CC_Roosters

First Grade
On the topic of mergers, what if they had a fresh look at it and the below was implemented instead- these are what i consider logical rationalisation mergers in Sydney.

Northern eagles- split between gosford and brooky. white and maroon colours

Parramatta tigers- split between parra and leichardt. Yellow and black colours

West sydney panthers- split between penrith park, C'town and homebush

Sydney dragons- split between SFS and kogarah. Navy and red chevron.

Southern sharks- split between shark park and WIN. Colours sky blue and red

Bulldogs and souths continue as standalone clubs for a total of 7 sydney based teams.

alien

Referee
i for one wouldn't mind those 2 teams separating from joint ventures but what it would do is drive them into financial stress which in this day and age is not something that would be easily solved unless they get privatized which won't happen

wests magpies are financial. they don't need to be privatized.
balmange on the other hand...

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think you can class Ny club solely reliant on leagues clubs keeping them afloat as long term sustainable. Look at Penrith, biggest leagues club yet financially the nrl panthers are one of the lowest spenders and couple of years ago where in dire financial trouble.