What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Denver Broncos News

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Ray, Roby, Paradis and Barrett will be gone too. A lot of holes to fill on both sides of the ball. So long as we keep Wolfe, I'm happy...sort of.
You got your wish. Elway confirmed today at the combine that both Sanders and Wolfes options will be picked up this year. Also basically confirmed that Kyler Murray is not of any interest with his comments about size being important when under center, given the strength of our run game he wouldn't be a good scheme fit.

legend

Coach
I hope we get Devin White or D.K Metcalf in the draft. We just got Kareem Jackson in FA to address the secondary. Mosley would be nice too but that's a fairytale given the salaries given out thanks to the Raiders and Jets.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I hope we get Devin White or D.K Metcalf in the draft. We just got Kareem Jackson in FA to address the secondary. Mosley would be nice too but that's a fairytale given the salaries given out thanks to the Raiders and Jets.
Would love to get White but I'll be amazed if he makes it beyond 6 or 7.

I still think the intent is to draft a QB 1st or trade down, given moves in FA I think there is a good chance even Haskins slides to 10 as well, the wildcard is the Raiders. I don't get the hype around Metcalf, obviously super impressive speed and size, but he hasn't had super reliable hands and route running / IQ leaves a little to be desired at times. He's an ideal late 1st rounder but because of an impressive combine he's being pretty heavily overrated. His 3 cone drill was slower than Tom Brady, straight line speed is ridiculous though.

He also went from this
636454369777817183-AP17308856495485.jpg

to this
DzJgLuwUYAAwI-y.jpg

In 6 months. Better hope he doesn't have to pee in a cup too often.

Last edited:

Tom155

Coach
Don't think we will draft White even if he is there, Elway just doesn't seem to value that position very highly never had a big/decent FA signing there and correct me if I am wrong i am going off the top of my head but Jewell last year in the 4th is the highest he has drafted one despite a glaring need there for years.

Unless Fangio can sway him I am guessing CB, OL & DL more likely

Also don't think we go WR in round 1, can see it after that though

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Talk about getting back to that Superbowl defence. If Callahan can stay healthy, that's an awesome pickup. CHJ, Callahan and Jackson are 3 of the top 10 rated corners (even if Jackson is a better safety) by PFF.

Looks like it is shaping up to be a top 5 defence again.

legend

Coach
An ILB would make it an easy top five. We have the edge rushers and DL covered but ILB is a position of need. Hopefully Fangio has a say and we get White or Bush in the first round.

18to87

First Grade
Elway nailing the draft. Drew Lock is a steal at $7 mil compared to the other QB's taken so far.

jaseg

Juniors
I don't mind the Broncos taking that gamble in the 2nd at all, particularly with the alternative being Joe Flacco.

Rosen probably would've been better value though.. one less year, but a massively lowered cap hit (all that signing bonus hitting on the Cardinals cap) - and a better chance of hitting if you give him more clean pockets.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Lock is terrible mate
There aren't too many QB's who can make throws like this...

Elway got good value at that pick, he's raw, but he has many of the traits that make for a good franchise QB. I would have taken Haskins before him, but given they got Fant and Risner, it panned out way better than expected. If they can find a way to remove the questionable decision making in 10% of his game, it's a steal. There are bigger question marks over Murray and Jones IMO.

Tom155

Coach
Plenty of QB's can make that throw, Jamarcus Russell & Ryan Leaf could make some incredible throws but it didn't make them great or even good QB's

I hope I am wrong and he becomes a franchise QB but I really doubt it, at least Elway didn't waste a 1st on him like I thought he was going to.

DC_fan

Coach

Elway got good value at that pick, he's raw, but he has many of the traits that make for a good franchise QB. I would have taken Haskins before him, but given they got Fant and Risner, it panned out way better than expected. If they can find a way to remove the questionable decision making in 10% of his game, it's a steal. There are bigger question marks over Murray and Jones IMO.

One pass, no matter how good it was does not make a career

Firey_Dragon

Coach
One pass, no matter how good it was does not make a career
Really? I thought he would be in the hall of fame after that. I guess he's lucky that he has quite a few throws like that.

His arm talent is undeniable, commands a huddle well and has proven he can play under multiple coaches and offenses. He has stupid errors in his game and bad footwork, but I think he and Haskins were the two QBs most likely to be successful. He definitely needs time on the sidelines to refine his game though.

DC_fan

Coach
Really? I thought he would be in the hall of fame after that. I guess he's lucky that he has quite a few throws like that.

His arm talent is undeniable, commands a huddle well and has proven he can play under multiple coaches and offenses. He has stupid errors in his game and bad footwork, but I think he and Haskins were the two QBs most likely to be successful. He definitely needs time on the sidelines to refine his game though.

Too many college players, especially quarterbacks come into the NFL with a lot of hype. Usually generated by the media during the college season and in the lead up to the draft. It may well be lucky for Lock that he was taken in the second round, and not the first. It just eases the pressure on him ever so slightly.

jaseg

Juniors

Just about every starter (and a fair few guys who aren't) in the NFL makes those throws... they just pair it with better average play away from the one or two times a game those throws get made.

Lock has a tendency to put himself off balance needlessly. It makes some of his plays look fantastic... but in reality, they should've been simple. And while he is good off balance, nobody is good enough off balance to be better than when they're clean and upright in the pocket.

Consistency, footwork and pocket presence are going to be his issues. I hope he succeeds, because he's fun to watch (said the same thing about Josh Allen last year, though his issues were/are different... super high end plays paired with stupidly bad accuracy and touch).

I agree with him being good value in the 2nd though. He has potential to at least be a guy you can win with, and salary controlled for his rookie contract so you can keep the pieces around him to make a play if he turns out to be competent.

There definitely aren't more question marks over Murray (yes with Jones, one could make a stronger argument for him being the 6th best QB in the class than the 6th best player).. get over the size bias, it just doesn't matter. He played behind an NFL-size OL at Oklahoma, he could work the field then and he'll do it now (also, at both college and NFL level there is no correlation between size of the QB and batted passes). He's also Wilson-ish in that he just doesn't take bad hits on the run.. might be the baseball in him (yet the worst injuries over the last few years to QBs? Andrew Luck and Cam Newton - I'd argue play style has more to do with injuries at that position than size). And... well, he's just better at the things that matter most in the passing game (consistency being a big one...) when translating to the NFL. He's not quite Mayfield, but he's a hell of a passer - and has added big play run ability.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Just about every starter (and a fair few guys who aren't) in the NFL makes those throws... they just pair it with better average play away from the one or two times a game those throws get made.
No they don't, only the ones with the arm strength to do so make that throw. That ball was thrown about 35 yards on a ridiculously flat trajectory into a tight window.

Lock has a tendency to put himself off balance needlessly. It makes some of his plays look fantastic... but in reality, they should've been simple. And while he is good off balance, nobody is good enough off balance to be better than when they're clean and upright in the pocket.
I've already said he has bad footwork. Mahomes disagrees with you on throwing off platform though. Funnily enough, you're advocating Murray who actually has some similar questions over his footwork as well especially when rolling out to the sideline he has a tendency throw without his back leg costing accuracy and velocity.

Consistency, footwork and pocket presence are going to be his issues. I hope he succeeds, because he's fun to watch (said the same thing about Josh Allen last year, though his issues were/are different... super high end plays paired with stupidly bad accuracy and touch).

I agree with him being good value in the 2nd though. He has potential to at least be a guy you can win with, and salary controlled for his rookie contract so you can keep the pieces around him to make a play if he turns out to be competent.
Locks tape is a lot better than Allens in a conference that is much tougher. Allen has far better physical traits though.

There definitely aren't more question marks over Murray (yes with Jones, one could make a stronger argument for him being the 6th best QB in the class than the 6th best player).. get over the size bias, it just doesn't matter. He played behind an NFL-size OL at Oklahoma, he could work the field then and he'll do it now (also, at both college and NFL level there is no correlation between size of the QB and batted passes). He's also Wilson-ish in that he just doesn't take bad hits on the run.. might be the baseball in him (yet the worst injuries over the last few years to QBs? Andrew Luck and Cam Newton - I'd argue play style has more to do with injuries at that position than size). And... well, he's just better at the things that matter most in the passing game (consistency being a big one...) when translating to the NFL. He's not quite Mayfield, but he's a hell of a passer - and has added big play run ability.
I didn’t mention Murray or his size. Murray was a one year starter with a great line and receiver core. He is going to a team with arguably the worst line in the game. Given his play style it is not an easy position to be entering in. Obviously he has Kingsbury, but it is questionable how good he'll be at the NFL level, he was fired in college for a reason. Murray has played basically zero time under center (like many college QBs), I don't know what kind of leader he is but it doesn't appear to come naturally to him and has extremely limited tape. If Arizona don't pick Murray, he could have easily slid out of the first as well (it would have been undeserved), such is the varying opinion of him. With that said, his vision is undeniable and play design from Kingsbury will be very similar to Riley as they're from the same tree of coaching.

Compared to Haskins who has similar questions around playing time, Haskins has a bit more of a pro-style play to his game so it is easier to imagine the transition.

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Too many college players, especially quarterbacks come into the NFL with a lot of hype. Usually generated by the media during the college season and in the lead up to the draft. It may well be lucky for Lock that he was taken in the second round, and not the first. It just eases the pressure on him ever so slightly.
I've lived through the Cutler and Lynch eras. I know all too well about QB draft hype.

Latest posts