What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Des Hasler; Coach of the Year

Last Week

Bench
Melbourne have lost 3 games this year, their biggest losing margin being 2 points, with a current points differential of 271. Oh, and after losing a future immortal.

It's not even close.

typicalfan

Coach
I think Bellamy for this, but then I usually go for the coach like Bellamy rather than the guy who gets a team from low on the ladder to high. Hasler and Stuart have done good jobs no doubt but for me it's Bellamy.

Valheru

Coach
Can't be Sticky IMO. Canberra have a good squad and this should be their 4th year in a row in finals after the 2016 season but as usual with him teams go down hill after a good year.

Bellany is always up there of course.

Robinson as usual doesn't get a mention because apparently anyone could coach the roosters team go success. He is on track for 6 top 4 finishes out of 7 and has a chance at a 3rd premiership. Having said that I don't think it should be him.

It's hard to go past Des but the question is, has Des turned them around or was it the fact Barrett left.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Melbourne have lost 3 games this year, their biggest losing margin being 2 points, with a current points differential of 271. Oh, and after losing a future immortal.

It's not even close.

Yes but they were also top 2 last year. The reason I put Des forth is because taking a team from 15th to 5th (possibly 4th) is a tad more impressive than going from 2nd to 1st, not to say it isn't impressive but he was doing more or less as well the year before. Des on the other hand turned garbage into gold. No one expected that.

firechild

First Grade

It's not even close.
Not everyone that retired from the great qld side will be an immortal. Cronk will make the hall of fame but won't go close to immortal.

Last Week

Bench
Yes but they were also top 2 last year. The reason I put Des forth is because taking a team from 15th to 5th (possibly 4th) is a tad more impressive than going from 2nd to 1st, not to say it isn't impressive but he was doing more or less as well the year before. Des on the other hand turned garbage into gold. No one expected that.

By that logic, Brad Arthur taking Parra from 6th to 6th is just as impressive.

JB04

Juniors
Think it’s a three way race between Bellamy, Hasler and Arthur. Although I will say if Madge can get the Tigs into the 8, he should definitely be nominated

typicalfan

Coach
By that logic, Brad Arthur taking Parra from 6th to 6th is just as impressive.
Except Arthur was the one coaching them to a spoon as well. Although I disagree on principle that going 14th to 5th is more impressive than 2nd to 1st. I think the latter is more impressive.

jiorl

Juniors
Best Coaches of 2019
1. Hasler - Turned the Sea Eagles around in his first year back,and now they are a major premiership threat. Stunning, since for most of his stint at the Bulldogs, he was really bad and should have been booted sooner.
2. Bellamy - Storm are first by a mile, without Cronk or Slater. And to think many doubted him...
3. Ricky Stuart - The Raiders have been amazing this year, and their recruitment has been outstanding. I have him pegged under Bellamy because Bellamy and the storm are freaks.

I don't think Arthur is among the best coaches. Whilst he has moved parra up from the wooden spoon to 6th in a year
(no small feat), the eels have been too inconsistent and i just don't think they are of the quality that the Storm, Roosters, Raiders, Souths and Manly are this year.

justdave

Juniors
Best Coaches of 2019
1. Hasler - Turned the Sea Eagles around in his first year back,and now they are a major premiership threat. Stunning, since for most of his stint at the Bulldogs, he was really bad and should have been booted sooner.
2. Bellamy - Storm are first by a mile, without Cronk or Slater. And to think many doubted him...
3. Ricky Stuart - The Raiders have been amazing this year, and their recruitment has been outstanding. I have him pegged under Bellamy because Bellamy and the storm are freaks.

I don't think Arthur is among the best coaches. Whilst he has moved parra up from the wooden spoon to 6th in a year
(no small feat), the eels have been too inconsistent and i just don't think they are of the quality that the Storm, Roosters, Raiders, Souths and Manly are this year.

?

Valheru

Coach

Did he? Or did Barrett turn gold to garbage?

That is the only question mark for me on Des but you can't argue with results.

Valheru

Coach
Think it’s a three way race between Bellamy, Hasler and Arthur. Although I will say if Madge can get the Tigs into the 8, he should definitely be nominated

Madge is a good nomination actually, definitely in the conversation.

adamkungl

Immortal
I like, in order of ladder position not nomination order:

Bellamy - another year, another refresh of the Storm brilliance. Lost Slater and 2 pop up to replace him in Hughes and Papenhuyzen.

Sticky - the payoff has been a slow burn over the years but the innovative recruitment from Super League and the seemingly baffling move of Wighton to 6 has finally turned Canberra into serious contenders. Coaching with some fresh moves for the first time in well over a decade.

Hasler - Most improved by far. A roster most people scoffed at now in the frame for finals upsets.

Good work but not top of the pile

Robinson - same old quality, but Bellamy's sitting higher with more change over the offseason.

Bennett - Took a top 4 squad, still in the top 4. Again, same old quality but not breaking any new ground here.

Arthur - You could argue Eels are most improved... but I don't buy it. Finals team in 2017, tanked in 2018, finals team in 2019, with Arthur at the helm the entire time. Still big question marks over defense and resilience under pressure too.

Maguire - Similar to Hasler, getting results out of a limited roster. But Hasler's doing it better.

Last Week

Bench
Except Arthur was the one coaching them to a spoon as well. Although I disagree on principle that going 14th to 5th is more impressive than 2nd to 1st. I think the latter is more impressive.

Coach of the year. Not coach of the last two years.

Based on where Parra were last year compared to this year, their performance is equally as impressive as Manlys. But it's a more romantic narrative for Des to get it. Right?

It's still Bellamy.

coolsteve

Juniors
Did he? Or did Barrett turn gold to garbage?

That is the only question mark for me on Des but you can't argue with results.
Yup Garrick suli. Parker. Cust. Elliot sironen. Faniou? Yup clubs were lining up To sign these guys

Latest posts