What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did we play better without Soward?

TruSaint

Referee
The way our forwards played, Soward would have enjoyed the space he needs, and his kicking game would have relieved alot of pressure Off Fien.
Agree with Chase.
Agree woth goalkicking.
Green i think just did his job. Nothing flash, but had an alround solid game. He ran for 85 metres and completed 16 tackles. Think thats all pricey wanted from him.

TonyTrugett

Juniors
I didn't see the game but according to the Sunday Footy Show Chase Stanley went pretty well at 5/8 taking the line on etc

hardbaby

Coach
Stanley went ok. Defended well. Ran hard. Didn't push the pass. But his lack of kicking game made it hard on Fien. The backs alignment was still terrible. There are very few angles being run out there. Very easy to read. Our attack is pretty much limited to tactical kicks and ad lib Dugan magic.

Simon Templar

Juniors
Happy to see the boys get up for a win. Unexpected result. When the Cowboys are going bad the buck stops with Neil Henry. No one suggest flicking JT. The Knights who have arguably been going worse than the Dragons for the past two seasons with the super coach have never suggested getting rid of Mullen. Bennet takes the blame for their performances. However with the Dragons whenever we lose its somehow the fault of Jamie Soward. I would argue that's a cop out for the coach. Its like Ricky Stuart telling everyone that he is going to bin half of he squad because they aren't good enough. He know has the perfect excuse not to win another game this year when he was never going to win many anyway. Good coaching would seem to me to get good results from players above what you could have expected. Many players in the 2010 side played above and beyond their ability and thats about desire. At the Dragons circa 2012-2013 its one players fault if we lose which is ridiculous.

hardbaby

Coach
By all accounts Soward wasn't sticking to the game plan. He had stopped listening. He is our chief playmaker. That can't happen. Not entirely his fault. Nor did he take all the blame. Price is certainly a massive part of our problems. But the Dragons management made the decision to stop the rot and I think the win went a long way to proving that it was the correct decision.

Minh

First Grade
We defended very well and Dugan was the game breaker this time in Dragons colors, freakish player.

Blue Dragon

Juniors
IMO we were a lot better in attack simply because we had a little more variety. In the last few weeks we have been far too predictable with no creativity in attack. Having said that, their kicking game was a lot better than ours, and its lucky they could not capitalise on it. Better teams will make us pay for that. That's the only area where we are missing Sowie right now. We were a lot tougher in defence on the left side last night. Agree with the comments on Cam King, Stockwell and JDB, they were stand outs, along with the consultant of course!

mmap dragons

Juniors
For what it's worth I can't see Soward returning any time soon. Although Stanley isn't a 5/8's backside I thought they were far more direct in offense and far better defensively. Unless they pick up someone prior to June 30 and barring injury, I think it's the way the halves will look for for the next few games if not the remainder of the year. Time will tell.

moik

Bench
I see Beale as a 6. Good passing game and short kicking game and light on his feet. Does anybody else see that?

Puff

First Grade
I think some of you are missing the point, did you see Soward play in the lower grades? I think its more glaring that Soward couldn't lift that side to a win rather then whether our team played better without him or not.

A "state of origin" player playing reserve grade should really be carving them up. However, Soward fell well short of that and in fact looked out classed on some occasions by the Newcastle half.

redbreed

Juniors
We didn't play better without Soward but we also didn't play worse which means his involvement this year has been close to zero. Goal kicks looked shakey though not that Jamie has been any good this year either.

As for people complaining that if it wasn't for Dugan we wouldn't have won......come on ffs isn't that why we were chasing him originally for that x factor? If he wasn't there we lose and when his there people actually complain that we wouldn't have won without him. It wasn't pretty but it's still 2 points in the bank which could hopefully be the difference at the end of the year. I'm sure if Newcastle won they wouldn't be complaining.

Gazzaw

Juniors
Me thinks Morris will really miss him. Both Stanley & Dugan have trouble releasing the ball & Prior & Green are not centres. Watched the Warriors this arvo & they so good to watch when they are on

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Me thinks Morris will really miss him. Both Stanley & Dugan have trouble releasing the ball & Prior & Green are not centres. Watched the Warriors this arvo & they so good to watch when they are on

I honestly cant say we played better without Soward, but we seemed to play a different type of game (Dugan aside)...now whether that's because we were confident with our win record against Bennett and Newcastle and competed for the full 80 or not I'm not sure....maybe to them its like when we play The Raiders we seem to lose before we take the field....your right re The Warriors they really do turn it on when they want to.....as I mentioned on here last week I'd kill for us to have their half back...he really is becoming the complete footballer......

Last edited:

Dea

Juniors
Fine certainly stepped up and played well, but he had to. Stanley filled a spot but doesn't kick. The next few weeks will be interesting to see if Stanley can add anything to his play and more importantly, what happens as opposition teams target Fein as our "go to man" and reduce his time and space. I know Duges is going great at fullback but I do wonder what would happen if he played at 5/8, got his hands on the ball more often and provided another kicking option to the team.

mickeylane

Bench
Fien played a lot better without Soward.. It seems that Soward had upset a few players in the team w his attitude and the "I" mentality.. I would rather the team
Performed like they did against the Knights.....committed and aggressive.. Even though we are fast becoming Reliant on one Mr Dugan.. Thank god for him!!

Divine

Bench
I can't believe we won without any discernable backline. If Soward isn't in the team next week we'll be waiting the entire 80mins for Dugan to do something.

Last edited:

sanders

Juniors
Did we play better without Soward? Doubt it ... its only McManus knocking on Fein's shocker attempt at field goal (Soward would've nailed it) that gave us winning field position.

How awesome after 30 years of supporting the Dragons to know in 2013 the best we can do is a work-experience 5/8 in our premier side.

gypsy

Bench
Did we play better without Soward? Yes. Seeing that side try like that for 80 minutes, as one, will do me anytime. Credit where it's due to Newcastle, they are a quality side.

It was a great win, let's not forget if Prior catches that Nightingale bat back and Dugan grounds the ball early in the first half it may have been easier. I thought Morris' try should have been allowed as well.

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
I know Duges is going great at fullback but I do wonder what would happen if he played at 5/8, got his hands on the ball more often and provided another kicking option to the team.

The problem with Dugan at five eighth is that you can't adequately replace what he brings from fullback. I think that's also what stopped Hayne from being a permanent fixture at 6 at Parramatta.

Dugan gets more involved anyway, he actually had more touches than Stanley last week. There is really nothing stopping Dugan becoming a kicking option from fullback, in fact being fullback gives him more flexibility to be in a position to kick. Besides, you don't want teams working him over in defence to blunt his attack.