What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Different Expectations Says it all

possm

Coach
Buying the best players must helps with your mental approach.

Insert Brett Morris, Ryan Hall and Crichton to the Roosters side and It wouldn’t matter who was driving, nor would it matter any conversations of mediocrity, none of this would make any difference, you just know unless you get a flat tyre or something unexpected happens your Ferrari is gunna be one of the front runners

Wise recruitment and player development is the way to go. Bennett was wise and clever in this area and usually had the team he wanted at his disposal each year.

SGI could have had sufficient TPA sponsorship if they had the right management staff involved; after all we have the best brand name in the rugby league world. Ever since Doust arrived on the scene, it seems that the majority of management staff were ore interested in their own remuneration and career development than the success of SGI.

What I don't understand is that SGI witnessed first hand the success brought to the Club while Bennett was involved and yet did the exact opposite on his departure. We still have not returned to the formula of hiring a top grade coach and letting him select his coaching staff, pathways and recruitment staff and fitness / high performance staff. Why you might ask? Just take a sneak look and you will see father Millward / son Millward, father Young / son Young, St George / Illawarra. Yes four factions say it all.

possm

Coach
Mate, you have no credibility. Half way through the season you were singing Mary's praises from the rooftops. And mocking those with much better judgment on his real abilities and team goals. Indeed, you made the point that every club was 'chasing' the premiership.

Give it a few weeks into the new season and you'll be back on Mary's bandwagon, celebrating an extension to his contract.

Please, spare us.

Straight Shooter

SGI fans and many members on this forum have been living in hope for the past 7 years. We have all seen the same story for the past few years. One would think that the coaching staff would have learned lessons on the third time round however, no they did not. The same scenario dished up again and again; off to a great staff and then half way through the season we seem unbeatable, way ahead of other teams on the competition ladder, only to find that most of our players are either fatigued or busted.

The players who relied on our forwards to set a dominant platform in order to perform their magic, lost form and did not perform. We have seen this again and again and again.

How anyone who has half a brain could utter the words that Mary is a good coach is worth responding too, I don't really know. Yet here I am slugging away responding to people who are for some reason blinded to reality.

hazzbeen

Bench
What I expect next year , with Mary is much the same as other years of his coaching . Bounce out of the boxes Like the old race horse Scotch and Dry , would get 20 , 30 lengths in front and would get reeled in . Sometimes he would hang on to win , can't see it happening with Mary as coach ( a win ) at the finishing post .....

BLM01

First Grade
I have the same expectation year after year since Bennett left..2012-2017 abouth 12th, this year between 6th-8th. Just that some years they exceed it slightly which is a positive, this year... to get to Week 2 of the finals. Next year I will stick my neck out 5th-7th, depends whose coaching ;)

hazzbeen

Bench
I have the same expectation year after year since Bennett left..2012-2017 abouth 12th, this year between 6th-8th. Just that some years they exceed it slightly which is a positive, this year... to get to Week 2 of the finals. Next year I will stick my neck out 5th-7th, depends whose coaching ;)
Our mob are just happy to be lurking around the 8 with really no expectations of really winning it , with super coach . That win over the Broncos just made everything rosy again for The board and Mary ...

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Whilst I hate the Roosters and their ability to rort the system,and continually get away with it,I do admire the management and coaching methods used.
They are miles ahead of us in professionalism and sports science available.
Post Origin whilst our mob of inept geniuses continued to flog our Origin Stars the Roosters listened to Sports Science and rested and preserved the players longer term fitness and health for the finals.
Result our mob busted and they are going gangbusters.
One can only hope our mob do eventually learn from past mistakes though I doubt it.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
At the start of every season Every team has an expectation of winning the premiership.

The Dragons however, seem to have a 3 phase approach.

1. Start strongly - definitelt contenders.
2. Ladder leaders - have to put a lud on it and suggest top 4 is acceptable, we dont want our players thinking too much or believing they are the best.
3. Wheels fall off - our aim has always been to make the 8 which is over-achieving based on last year and what the media suggested.

So, well done all round. We made the 8 yeah!!!!

What I expect next year , with Mary is much the same as other years of his coaching . Bounce out of the boxes Like the old race horse Scotch and Dry , would get 20 , 30 lengths in front and would get reeled in . Sometimes he would hang on to win , can't see it happening with Mary as coach ( a win ) at the finishing post .....
The problem is that McGregor and his supporters on the board believe their own hype.
They honestly think that McGregor's coaching methods are the way to go and as such will persevere with tweaks.
So saddle up for more of the same in 2019.
Second week of the finals will only serve as encouragement and self vindication.
It's got to the point that when we win at beginning of the season, I get anxious about what's going to happen at the end.

hazzbeen

Bench
The problem is that McGregor and his supporters on the board believe their own hype.
They honestly think that McGregor's coaching methods are the way to go and as such will persevere with tweaks.
So saddle up for more of the same in 2019.
Second week of the finals will only serve as encouragement and self vindication.
It's got to the point that when we win at beginning of the season, I get anxious about what's going to happen at the end.
Exactly this , if he can maybe , change the way they fly out of the barriers to a more consistent pace and then finish stronger down the straight I might feel better about our chances ......

gitano

Juniors
Wise recruitment and player development is the way to go. Bennett was wise and clever in this area and usually had the team he wanted at his disposal each year.

SGI could have had sufficient TPA sponsorship if they had the right management staff involved; after all we have the best brand name in the rugby league world. Ever since Doust arrived on the scene, it seems that the majority of management staff were ore interested in their own remuneration and career development than the success of SGI.

What I don't understand is that SGI witnessed first hand the success brought to the Club while Bennett was involved and yet did the exact opposite on his departure. We still have not returned to the formula of hiring a top grade coach and letting him select his coaching staff, pathways and recruitment staff and fitness / high performance staff. Why you might ask? Just take a sneak look and you will see father Millward / son Millward, father Young / son Young, St George / Illawarra. Yes four factions say it all.
Bennett wasn't wise at all.

He took a squad Browny built, brought a few key people and left. No succession plan or eye to leaving the Dragons strong in the years to follow.

Little head thinking some would say.
Bennett is not the answer.

Wittenberg

Juniors
I agree our Board and our coach leave much to be desired but the Roosters as a role model? Nah. Despite having the highest third party agreement money in the NRL, despite having all those players who apparently ‘play for less’ to be at the Roosters, despite the dodgy salary cap and despite having the most powerful CEO in the game, since 1975 they have won 2 premierships. We have won 3. Their mindset might be different but their results aren’t.

possm

Coach

He took a squad Browny built, brought a few key people and left. No succession plan or eye to leaving the Dragons strong in the years to follow.

He sized us up and found our forwards had a soft under-belly. Then he went out and got the mongrel players we needed and a couple more. At the time he asked for a 5 year deal and was only given a 3 year deal and was expected to win a premiership.

Well he was smart enough to coach a squad to win a premiership in his second year at the club. Then there is Mary ……………..

True_Believer

Juniors
The expectation has been forced on them by the sacking of Pearce and the purchase of Cronk. The fact that the Roosters have been MPs a number of times over the past years and featured heavily in the finals for a number of years now means that they didn't have much room to move. If they don't win the title this year it means they've wasted their money on Cronk - essentially achieving no more than they did with Pearce.

getsmarty

Immortal

The reason there was no succession plan is because we only offered him 3 years..Bennett wanted 5...

He stated that he came here to do a job..win a premiership.( which he achieved in his 2nd year along with 2 minor premierships and a World club championship ).Bennett also gave kudos to Brown saying that the squad was close...they lacked the killer instinct..

Had we have signed Bennett for longer we would more than likely have had a succession plan in place...

Doust tried to extend Bennett...the horse had bolted...

What were Dousts words..something like Dragons only do 3 year deals...utter madness when someone of Bennett's calibre came along knowing he had at least another good 8 years in him..

Typical bumbling from a pack of amateurs...just look at the next 2 coaches they put in place...enough said.

SEAT 1A

Bench
What were Dousts words..something like Dragons only do 3 year deals...utter madness when someone of Bennett's calibre came along knowing he had at least another good 8 years in him..

Agree with that, gift horse.

Don't mind Mary coming out with the best year, bla, bla, bla however, would be pissed off if he and management meant it.

TruSaint

Referee

His record suggests otherwise.

Yes he took a great squad, but turned into a powerhouse for 3 years.

It was NOT his job to leave the place in a strong position. It was his job to perform DURING his contact , which he did. The post Bennett failure does not lie on a past employee. When he left so did his obligation. We benefited from him leaving the Broncos and attracting players did we not.

The post era collapse lies on the clubs decisions.

Bennett is not the answer

Bennett may not be the answer, but an established coach is. Surely we have all learnt from the Price / Mary era.

Gareth67

First Grade
At the start of the year Roosters stated that by recruiting Cronk they wouldnt take anything less than a grand final appearance this year!

Our mob with the recruitment of Hunt and Graham were happy to be a top 4 team....

Difference between teams that want to be champions and teams just happy being perceived to be successful!!

I keep saying achieving a championship mindset is a mental state - we are still happy just being a top 4 team!

Dont hate the Roosters - admire them and their management!

Well I do hate the bludgers mickeylane - sorry , but they have always had everything going for them in terms of only the best . However as you have said the reason for that is that their management think and act as winners , 2 nd is not good enough and we at the Dragons should have exactly the same mindset . Perhaps our new part owner may help the situation somewhat - I hope .