What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Different year, different team, same dogshit

Tiger Ted

Bench
#9 Good post Vic.

I was going to post on the game chat - but this is as good as.

Try 1 Rapana, Nofa had it covered but it came off Garner's leg and, there's the try,
Try 2 James simply picked out the little guy in Laurie (this was when Twal was off covering the ruck)

The Williams disallowed try - if Laurie was not held off the ball, could he have scored? we'll never know but 14-6 could have been 14-12 - but we cannot change that now.

Try 3 Young, terrible leap by Kepeoa (even little Corey Thompson used to have a go) but a great pass for the Canberra try.

Try 4 Nicoll-Klokstad, Kepeoa showed inexperience, he could have kicked (Brooks was actually pointing ahead), passed earlier or taken the tackle, poor pass picked up by Canberra and....

So if the 1st try didn't happen everything after that doesn't happen but unfortunately, well here we are talking about how bad they were.

I think a lot comes back to not only the on field management, in the forwards I think Tamou led them well and was supported by all except Garner. In the backs, well they were not led by the halves but for experienced and representative grade centres were Roberts & BJ standing flat because that's what the coach wanted? Aren't they smart enough to stand deep? Is Mybe smart enough to tell them to stand deep (could have sworn he'd played centre previously)?

I think the off field management left a lot to be desired.
Mbye is a fkn imbecile an oxygen thief.I wouldn’t select the bum in nsw cup team.If we are to make the 8 & we certainly can then Mbye & brooks can not be anywhere near the 17.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Mbye is a fkn imbecile an oxygen thief.I wouldn’t select the bum in nsw cup team.If we are to make the 8 & we certainly can then Mbye & brooks can not be anywhere near the 17.

I would give Brooks his time in the sun with AD as his halves partner as that has been the plan all off season & but I agree my patience is wearing thin.

Mbye is just a bum and the fact he’s been shifted around in 5 positions & excelled in none...well he just hasn’t got it

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
I've had some time to process everything - Vic's post above really put things into perspective a bit which makes me feel less hopeless. Thinking everything through, I think I know what the problem is.

Simply put, the problem is Luke Brooks.

This is the first time I've ever bagged him. I've always been a supporter of him and made a million excuses for him, but today there are none.
  • Our forwards performed well and marched us up the field, laying down a strong platform for a halfback to work off
  • He was given free reign to call the shots and play on both sides of the field
  • Liddle was feeding him the ball whenever he asked for it e.g. no Robbie Farah style dummy half playmaking
Yes, players like BJ, Garner and even Kepoa did not help, but think of it this way: if you replaced BJ with Chris Lawrence in his prime, or Garner with Gareth Ellis, or Kepoa with JAC...we still would have lost. However, if you swapped Luke Brooks for Scott Prince (in his prime) we probably would have won that game. Game management is all about building pressure. The only pressure Brooks built was towards ourselves, which caused dumbasses like BJ to make stupid decisions, poor defenders like Garner to become exposed, and inexperienced rookies like Kepoa to make mistakes.

My fear is that we can shuffle the deck chairs as much as we want, but until we have a game managing halfback we will continue to have the same issues.

I know it’s early days but Brooks,Mbye,Packer,BJ and Garner need to be put on notice and or f##ked off, if we are going to get beat I would rather the younger blokes like Madden,Simpkin,Simpkins,Fitzgibbon and Gebbie etc be in the team.

stryker

First Grade
I know it’s early days but Brooks,Mbye,Packer,BJ and Garner need to be put on notice and or f##ked off, if we are going to get beat I would rather the younger blokes like Madden,Simpkin,Simpkins,Fitzgibbon and Gebbie etc be in the team.
I agree. No point doing the same shit with the same shitheads.
We need someone to help Madge with attack. He has their defence improving but my god their ball playing skills, hole running and general shape is aweful.
Yesterday was schoolboy attack. Pedestrian crap easily shut down.

Pezz70

Juniors
I disagree Mbye is not a great player in any single position but I think he is versatile enough to be a really good bench player. I think if we are going to make the 8, Mbye from the bench is a must with the current squad.

WA Tiger

Bench
I've had some time to process everything - Vic's post above really put things into perspective a bit which makes me feel less hopeless. Thinking everything through, I think I know what the problem is.

Simply put, the problem is Luke Brooks.

This is the first time I've ever bagged him. I've always been a supporter of him and made a million excuses for him, but today there are none.
  • Our forwards performed well and marched us up the field, laying down a strong platform for a halfback to work off
  • He was given free reign to call the shots and play on both sides of the field
  • Liddle was feeding him the ball whenever he asked for it e.g. no Robbie Farah style dummy half playmaking
Yes, players like BJ, Garner and even Kepoa did not help, but think of it this way: if you replaced BJ with Chris Lawrence in his prime, or Garner with Gareth Ellis, or Kepoa with JAC...we still would have lost. However, if you swapped Luke Brooks for Scott Prince (in his prime) we probably would have won that game. Game management is all about building pressure. The only pressure Brooks built was towards ourselves, which caused dumbasses like BJ to make stupid decisions, poor defenders like Garner to become exposed, and inexperienced rookies like Kepoa to make mistakes.

My fear is that we can shuffle the deck chairs as much as we want, but until we have a game managing halfback we will continue to have the same issues.
Spot on BJ.. Ive said before, with Madges reluctance to relieve Brooks from duty (properly) we are now looking to find a team that is so good that we can get in the 8 despite Brookes remaining in the team ..Brooks was as bad on Sunday as he was all of last year but last year Benjis attacking prowess made it easier to forgive him or find some excuse for him. But against the green machine with an incompetent 6 too, Brooks total lack of ability to run a game was seen in all its Glory...
Contrary to most opinions It was never a case of “Brooks will now blossom without the pressure of Benji being in the team” It was always that Brooks is being carried - and for a while now.
The problem now is if Madge doesn’t drop Brooks this week AD will take the place of Benji - carrying Brooks again, the 6/7 combination won’t look so bad with AD doing all the damage and we will be back where we started ie coming up short of our potential.
Maybe Tamau can have a word with Madge. He knows how crucial 7 is to finish off what the forwards tirelessly start...more important I hope them two, having that conversation about any player is the norm.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
I disagree Mbye is not a great player in any single position but I think he is versatile enough to be a really good bench player. I think if we are going to make the 8, Mbye from the bench is a must with the current squad.

To me a second hooker is more important than a utility player but I can see your point.

Tiger05

First Grade
Spot on BJ.. Ive said before, with Madges reluctance to relieve Brookes from duty we are now looking to find a team that is so good that we can get in the 8 despite Brookes remaining ..Brooks was as bad on Sunday as he was all of last year but last year Benjis attacking prowess made it easier to forgive Brooks or find some excuse for him but against the green machine with an incompetent 6 too Brooks total lack of ability to run a game was seen in all its Glory...
Contrary to most opinions It was never a case of “Brooks will now blossom without the pressure of Benji being in the team” It was always that Brooks is being carried. He’s that bad .
The problem now is if Madge doesn’t drop Brooks this week AD will take the place of Benji carrying Brooks again the combination won’t look so bad with AD doing the damage and we will be back where we started...

I don't think Brooks was that bad but the argument that Brooks poor performances were due to Benji or Robbie or whoever is bullshit.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
I don't think Brooks was that bad but the argument that Brooks poor performances were due to Benji or Robbie or whoever is bullshit.

Brooks was involved in our only 2 try scoring plays, honestly we should have had a 3rd when the ref wrongly called (IMO) a Daine Laurie forward pass to Brooks > Mbye

It’s blatantly obvious both Brooks and Mbye are not dominant playmakers. Doueihi is much more of a leader and when he comes back that will be fixed and Brooks will be better for it

Tiger05

First Grade
I agree wholeheartedly

Benji was atrocious defensively at times for us last year but his creativity was unreal. That isn't what is holding Brooks back. It's just that Brooks isn't that good.

I'd stick with Brooks. Madden looks miles away from Brooks atm. I also think that that as speedy mentioned discipline is where we are screwing ourselves over.

Still if we can get Hastings or another half option I'd go for it. We need to look to improve the team and Brooks needs to prove he is top quality or we have to look for an alternative.

WA Tiger

Bench
Brooks was involved in our only 2 try scoring plays, honestly we should have had a 3rd when the ref wrongly called (IMO) a Daine Laurie forward pass to Brooks > Mbye

It’s blatantly obvious both Brooks and Mbye are not dominant playmakers. Doueihi is much more of a leader and when he comes back that will be fixed and Brooks will be better for it
Can u let me know where the time clock was at on that forward pass. I’ll tell u if it was forward but honestly I just can’t watch through the game again..if not that’s cool

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Can u let me know where the time clock was at on that forward pass. I’ll tell u if it was forward but honestly I just can’t watch through the game again..if not that’s cool

it was somewhere between the 75th-80 min mark can’t remember exactly what min tho

Madge should've hooked Garner for that stupid penalty.

Brooks is 4 years past his use-by-date. Starting to piss me off the way seeing J. Morris in the #7 used to piss me off. Right now, I'd rather see Morris or Blitzy in the 7 than Brooks and neither of them was a halback's arsehole. Those kicks close to the line where he hits legs make me want to punch the tele....

WA Tiger

Bench
Looking at the slo-mo Laurie let the ball go just before the end of the white line that’s in the length of field direction (closest to him) and Brookes caught it just after the start of the 2nd white line in the same direction ..It’s at the most a metre forward The refs just decided to be exact just this once..
A pass off the ground from Laurie would have fixed that..I think

Last edited:

Vozzy

Juniors
The worry is the reserve team fell apart the same way the first team did in the second half and they had the players that would replace the likes of Brooks, MBye, Liddle and Garner. I know it was only a trial but I would have preferred the same starting team we had against Manly just because the team was gelled. Once we put MBye in and BJ it messed up what we did in the trial. MBye gave shit ball to Roberts/nofo and BJ losing his head just put pressure on the team which then puts pressure on Brooks. Talau against manly in attack was ready for offloads where BJs mind was lost after 5min.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Looking at the slo-mo Laurie let the ball go just before the end of the white line that’s in the length of field direction (closest to him) and Brookes caught it just after the start of the 2nd white line in the same direction ..It’s at the most a metre forward The refs just decided to be exact just this once..
A pass off the ground from Laurie would have fixed that

That’s because the game isn’t played in slow mo. Laurie passed backwards out of his hands and the running momentum makes it “float” forward. I actually remember the commentators blowing up about it for a fair bit

It was borderline but you’ll definitely see a lot similar let go this year, no doubt about it