What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion re: Parra Future/3P

TheRam

Coach
I think you mean libel..Big difference in the meaning of 'libel' and 'liable'
If you don't know the difference, look it up in the dictionary.
And as I mentioned before, I'm not a champ.
You should get your hand off it..You are becoming too excited...

I think I know the difference between the two words champ, just because I misused it spelling wise is no defence for your inability to argue your point.

But then again maybe it's you who just got a little to excited and needs to take their hand off it. ;-)

parra pete

Referee
I think I know the difference between the two words champ, just because I misused it spelling wise is no defence for your inability to argue your point.

But then again maybe it's you who just got a little to excited and needs to take their hand off it. ;-)

Argue what point. I said, in my opinion, what he has written about the Board could be considered libelous as it makes an aspersion on their ability to make business decisions to the detriment of their obligations as Directors of a Club...
As I said, I'm no lawyer, but they need to be careful what they print without substantiating the claims. Freedom of speech. I don't think such exists anymore with the way the libel laws are, but perhaps Bigfella might have a better take on it.
The question is "Can you make derogatory remarks about people that causes people to lose credibility in the eyes of the public without producing any evidence to substantiate them"

bartman

Immortal
A loss-making publicly-available financial report is enough evidence for the statements in my view.

parra pete

Referee
The basic idea of defamation law is simple. It is an attempt to balance the private right to protect one's reputation with the public right to freedom of speech. Defamation law allows people to sue those who say or publish false and malicious comments.

There are two types of defamation.

* Oral defamation -- called slander -- for example comments or stories told at a meeting or party.

* Published defamation -- called libel -- for example a newspaper article or television broadcast. Pictures as well as words can be libellous.

Anything that injures a person's reputation can be defamatory. If a comment brings a person into contempt, disrepute or ridicule, it is likely to be defamatory.

* You tell your friends that the boss is unfair. That's slander of the boss.

* You write a letter to the newspaper saying a politician is corrupt. That's libel of the politician, even if it's not published.

* You say on television that a building was badly designed. That's libel due to the imputation that the architect is professionally incompetent, even if you didn't mention any names.

* You sell a book that contains defamatory material. That's spreading of a defamation.

The fact is, nearly everyone makes defamatory statements almost every day. Only very rarely does someone use the law of defamation against such statements.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Thanks. I would hate to see someone exercising their democratic right be penalised for getting too excited.

if you think a post is dodgy my advice would be to hit this and report it
report.gif

you know then that it will be looked at

TheRam

Coach
Argue what point. I said, in my opinion, what he has written about the Board could be considered libelous as it makes an aspersion on their ability to make business decisions to the detriment of their obligations as Directors of a Club...
As I said, I'm no lawyer, but they need to be careful what they print without substantiating the claims. Freedom of speech. I don't think such exists anymore with the way the libel laws are, but perhaps Bigfella might have a better take on it.
The question is "Can you make derogatory remarks about people that causes people to lose credibility in the eyes of the public without producing any evidence to substantiate them"

1. Your opinion raised a point of view.

2. That is self evident to all.

3. As you stated at the start, that is just your incorrect opinion. ;-)

Hellsy

Immortal
Hey guys,

Colin apparently promised these photos somewhere in the last miriad of pages, but he had no idea how to post them so I am doing it on his behalf

S3600088-GROUP20A.jpg

S3600086-TL.jpg

bartman

Immortal
That's a pretty good effort then, all things considered.

I actually got Terry's number put on my 86 jersey, I might see if I can dig it out from the cupboards before Sunday :lol:

Parra Future

Juniors
That's a pretty good effort then, all things considered.

I actually got Terry's number put on my 86 jersey, I might see if I can dig it out from the cupboards before Sunday :lol:

I know that the guys (Price / Guru / Kenny) are ringing some of their team-mates to see who can be in attendance as well on Sunday during the morning period. If you want any photos or autographs on jerseys or memorabilia or anything else, bring them down because they are all happy to oblige.

Captain BF

Juniors
Parra Future (Colin, is it?)
Unfortunately, i'm not a voting member or a member of the footy club at all actually.
I would like to wish your team all the best for the weekend and hope as many voters get behind your group as possible. My hope is that no matter how many people you get on the footy club board, whether it be 1 or all 7 that whatever is done is the absolute right thing for the club. Even if this means working with Fitzy or any of the other current board members.

As you can see by my little profile pic, you can probably guess who i would be voting.

Cheers!

parra pete

Referee
1. Your opinion raised a point of view.

2. That is self evident to all.

3. As you stated at the start, that is just your incorrect opinion. ;-)

No it was my opinion, and obviously shared by the moderators who removed, what I considered the defamatory statement...and I thank them for that.
What I didn't want to see was legal action against someone for exercising their democratic right, but getting a little too carried away by making statements without proof.

Forest Gump "sh*t happens"

parra pete

Referee
I know that the guys (Price / Guru / Kenny) are ringing some of their team-mates to see who can be in attendance as well on Sunday during the morning period. If you want any photos or autographs on jerseys or memorabilia or anything else, bring them down because they are all happy to oblige.

Will they be kissing babies too? :lol::lol::lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Will they be kissing babies too? :lol::lol::lol:

well, both sides of the fence have been kissing babies in the past week or 2, in the last few years when Chidiac and Fohmsbee have contested for a place in the board, they didn't even bother sending us letters nor have they improved Fan relations.

Latest posts