What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divided rugby league fell 25 years ago – but united has it conquered? by Steve Mascord.

You said the NRL was obliged to bring the Rabbitohs back. The actual truth is on appeal the NRL won the right to exclude the Rabbitohs, but chose to include them because of the 80k who marched. It didn't take long for South Sydney to go back to being a basket case. In their second season they averaged less than 10k fans through the gate. The club came close to folding before Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe bailed them out.

Go to you state library and look at the sports section of the newspaper archives. The BRL and NSWRL ran numerous lower grade competitions. There were plenty of semi-pro and amateur clubs playing underneath those competitions. In the BRL there were four grades of competition, even after the Broncos entered the NSWRL in 1988. Plenty of clubs have gone under across Brisbane and Sydney since 1988.

Lions still make more money from football operations than any Sydney club. GWS and Suns were a mistake, but that's hardly the same as adding one team to Adelaide and another to Perth. Gold Coast is a region and GWS are competing for support in an RL market that already has an AFL team.

If you believe fans from outside of NSW aren't obligated to argue for the NRL to have nine clubs in Sydney then why do you get so pissy and hysterical when I advocate rationalisation?

You even bring the "no true Scotsman" fallacy into it by saying fans shouldn't be looking to cull financially unviable teams from an over saturated market.

The licencing agreement only holds validity for five years.
Train wreck.
off the rails .
lol C78786D1-4CAE-4866-A8FC-650B4D051BFD.jpeg

King hit

Coach
Not at all. Never mentioned culing anyone.
I thought the same, but a trawl through their last 7 years of annual reports shows their active supporter base (ie those who actually contribute funding) must be pretty low looking at their revenue streams. If they are one of the biggest in Sydney I dread to think what the others are generating!

They have gone significantly backwards in this area since a high of $5mill fan generated revenue in 2015.
A1175C50-E0C0-40AB-861D-A2B253299C46.jpeg

siv

First Grade
I don't see Junior Development on that Bulldogs list 🤔

It is what Leagues Clubs are for to fund Junior leagues as the name says
In most cases in NSW JRL is run by the JFC so funding goes direct from the LC to either JFC or junior teams

The_Wookie

Bench
The licencing agreement only covers a period of five years.

It is still the governing document that provides their funding and is negotiated with the clubs. It remains an entitlement to clubs existing in the competition.

There was a huge dispute between the clubs and then ARLC Chairman John Grant when it came up for renewal in 2012. It led to Grant giving them 130% of the salary cap to get them to sign a five year deal and save his job. The clubs got what they wanted then punted him.

And? Thats the way the league body is set up. The clubs should get funding - they ARE the league.

When it came up for renewal Greenberg wanted the clubs to sign a perpetual licence similar to the one the VFL signed with its clubs in the 80s. Under his proposal clubs would need to meet certain criteria or risk being relocated. He actually asked Cronulla why they shouldn't be relocated when they were in debt.

The League doesnt have the power to force a club to relocate as long as they remain a viable entity. In the AFL, they dont have this power either - and the consent of the clubs is required for any license addition, subtraction or move.

The clubs signed another five year deal that expired last year. The clubs threatened to create their own competition unless they were given $5m on top of the cap. The RLPA demanded a salary cap of $11.3. So we're now giving each club $16.3m, despite the broadcast deal being similar to what it was when the previous licencing deal was negotiated.

That is their right to negotiate.

What evidence do you have that the game lost tens of thousands of fans?

Attendances for the game improved after the competition was reduced to 14 teams.

Kind of. It was alternately up and down, and then consistently up from 2003 - with 15 teams in the comp from 2002.

YearGamesAggregateAve
1997SL90111118912347

Your appeal to emotion and tradition isn't a valid argument and only extends to Sydney.

The fact that you dont have any respect for the history and tradition of the game is appalling. You arent a rugby league fan, your a queensland rugby league fan...maybe.

Why?

There are BRL clubs older than many Sydney NRL clubs. There are two or three traditional BRL clubs that are bigger and richer than some Sydney NRL clubs.

So? They arent actually in the NRL are they. They can always form their own comp.

This is delusional and wrong.

Its not.

Sydney does have a larger population than any other city that has rugby league as its main sport, but much of its growth over the last few decades has been from immigrants who don’t care about the game. The game was drawing better crowds in 2005 than it is today, despite Sydney having a larger population now than it did back then.

And has the potential to regain those people.

Not all Sydney clubs are going to get a gov funded stadium built for them. The NSW gov said it won't build any more. The handshake deal with V'landys which has been reneged only included upgrades to amenities of the suburban grounds.

Enough will for it to make a difference. And the NSW gov didnt say it wont build any more, its saying it wont build them right now.

On a per capita basis rugby league is more popular in Brisbane and PNG.

And on a per capita basis the most popular AFL foothold is Nauru. So what?

The only way the game can grow is by adding teams in new markets and possibly adding a third Brisbane team to cover southern Brisbane and Logan.

Yes, addint a new team to f**king Brisbane - a pre existing rugby league stronghold - will DEFINITELY grow the game.

I can think of a few reasons.

How about the fact the AFL have perpetual licences with their clubs and the ARLC doesn't?

This allows the AFL to do whatever they want with regards to expansion.

Not without club approval. Literally one of the few powers the clubs retained in the AFL Constitution.

Or the fact the Sydney NRL clubs struggle to make enough revenue from football operations to compete with the Broncos, Cowboys, Swans and Lions?

They make enough revenue elsewhere to get along just fine. And despite your belief otherwise, the grant should be considered a football revenue.

The AFL uses its money to prop up expansion clubs and a few Melbourne teams that they've tried to relocate interstate. The ARLC uses its money to prop up clubs that you claim are in the game's biggest market.

It isnt propping up if its giving the same grant to every club in the league.

If you're going to compare NRL Sydney with AFL Melbourne then be honest and admit the latter are far more profitable because they have far larger fan bases.

Sure, if you ignore Leagues clubs and associated entities. Which is rather dishonest.

If the Sydney NRL clubs had the same support as Melbourne AFL clubs then you would have a point, but they don't so your "let's copy AFL because feelings" idea is invalid.

Im rather curious as to where you pulled that from

Now you're being irrational and shifting the goal posts. You just compared NRL clubs in Sydney with AFL clubs from Melbourne, despite the latter drawing far more revenue from football operations by virtue of having larger and more passionate fanbases. The AFL recently increased the gap between it and our game by a significant margin.

Your post literally bought in the AFL. I mean I literally responded to a post that had Australian Fumbleball or some crap in it. Lol moved the goalposts.

So not really a good example on your behalf, is it?

The other sports are able to support a national footprint despite being smaller than RL.

Rugby league could as well, they just dont feel the need to.

I'll point out that in markets like Adelaide and Perth these sports dwarf rugby league by virtue of the NRL having zero presence. Teams like the Perth Wildcats and Adelaide 36ers draw great support ftrom he public and corporate sector.

And have done for decades.

Only for five years. By the time the next TV deal is signed there will be another despute between the clubs and the ARLC over funding.

And thats fine, thats what negotiations are for. But regardless, the NRL has an obligation to provide a grant to the clubs, it cannot withdraw it.

If that was the case then why did they threaten to form a break away competition unless their funding agreement was increased?

Part of the negotiation strategy. You know this

The_Wookie

Bench
Why is the annual grant significantly higher than any other source of income?

Because it has a higher number? And you exclude other revenues, as per usual.

The demography of Sydney has changed a fair bit over the last decade. There is no guarantee the new arrivals in Sydney will ever follow rugby league.

No guarantee they wont, and thier a plenty of fans converting to different sports or taking up a second sport every day.

Except that's what they've done for decades.

have they really though. even if it was true "decades" is somewhat incorrect.

Doesn't matter what they say as the AFL clubs have perpetual licences and the NRL clubs do not.

Thats not even relevant to the argument. The Commission, with the approval of the clubs, does have the right to remove licenses under certain circumstances. This almost happened in 1996 with Fitzroy, and almost happened in 2010 with Port Adelaide and the SANFL.

For five years.

Time frame is irrelevant. As long as the clubs are in the league, they are entitled to a grant.

The game needs Adelaide and Perth if it wishes to grow. Without Brisbane and Melbourne it would be f**ked.

Maybe.

The AFL doesn't run by this motto and it's kicking our arse.

In the case of GWS and Gold Coast the AFL promised a generational change and tv rights money, and the clubs unanimously approved the decision.

And really? Have you seen the wringer they are putting Tasmania through to ensure its financial viability? No?

Literally demanding a new stadium worth 750m be build in Hobart, forcing the Tasmanian Government to commit to tens of millions in funding and a centre of excellence. And this club will still get a distribution from the AFL if it gets off the ground.

The_Wookie

Bench
You said the NRL was obliged to bring the Rabbitohs back. The actual truth is on appeal the NRL won the right to exclude the Rabbitohs, but chose to include them because of the 80k who marched. It didn't take long for South Sydney to go back to being a basket case. In their second season they averaged less than 10k fans through the gate. The club came close to folding before Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe bailed them out.

Sure. But the League was obliged to bring them back pending the appeal to the High Court - and according to Gallop that was the end of that as far as the NRL was concerned.

Go to you state library and look at the sports section of the newspaper archives. The BRL and NSWRL ran numerous lower grade competitions. There were plenty of semi-pro and amateur clubs playing underneath those competitions. In the BRL there were four grades of competition, even after the Broncos entered the NSWRL in 1988. Plenty of clubs have gone under across Brisbane and Sydney since 1988.

I just f**king agreed with this. Im not going to the library in this day and age.

Lions still make more money from football operations than any Sydney club.

They also get a much higher grant from the AFL than any Sydney club will ever get from the NRL. It is still their largest source of income.

GWS and Suns were a mistake, but that's hardly the same as adding one team to Adelaide and another to Perth. Gold Coast is a region and GWS are competing for support in an RL market that already has an AFL team.

Maybe one day youlll even find out.

If you believe fans from outside of NSW aren't obligated to argue for the NRL to have nine clubs in Sydney then why do you get so pissy and hysterical when I advocate rationalisation?

Lol Hysterical. Calm down there tiger.

Rationalisation is the cowards way of expanding. Especially when the clubs are actually pretty healthy if you factor in all forms of revenue instead of your special chosen ones. What i get pissy about is the fact you are actively trying to stamp out clubs that are an integral part of the leagues history, while still being viable under the same financial rules that apply to the entire competition, all because you feel that the BRL teams got shafted.

You even bring the "no true Scotsman" fallacy into it by saying fans shouldn't be looking to cull financially unviable teams from an over saturated market.

No I didnt. I never said that all. Not least, because there arent any finacially unviable teams by any accounting criteria i know of.

The licencing agreement only holds validity for five years.

You keep saying this like it means shit. It doesnt matter how long the agreements are for, the agreements require the league to fund the clubs.

Pneuma

First Grade
Because it has a higher number? And you exclude other revenues, as per usual.

No guarantee they wont, and thier a plenty of fans converting to different sports or taking up a second sport every day.

have they really though. even if it was true "decades" is somewhat incorrect.

Thats not even relevant to the argument. The Commission, with the approval of the clubs, does have the right to remove licenses under certain circumstances. This almost happened in 1996 with Fitzroy, and almost happened in 2010 with Port Adelaide and the SANFL.

Time frame is irrelevant. As long as the clubs are in the league, they are entitled to a grant.

Maybe.

In the case of GWS and Gold Coast the AFL promised a generational change and tv rights money, and the clubs unanimously approved the decision.

And really? Have you seen the wringer they are putting Tasmania through to ensure its financial viability? No?

Literally demanding a new stadium worth 750m be build in Hobart, forcing the Tasmanian Government to commit to tens of millions in funding and a centre of excellence. And this club will still get a distribution from the AFL if it gets off the ground.
That’s a gorgeous thing.

Pneuma

First Grade
I’m interested in your thoughts on the afl Hobart team Wookie. I’ve just moved to Tassie. A Tassie team is quite popular. The stadium - Nup. I’m keeping out of it but it looks to me as though the afl is only putting a team here because the state government will never give up. Ergo they (the afl) are dragging every drop of blood out of them (the government) to minimise the loss.

The_Wookie

Bench
I’m interested in your thoughts on the afl Hobart team Wookie. I’ve just moved to Tassie. A Tassie team is quite popular. The stadium - Nup. I’m keeping out of it but it looks to me as though the afl is only putting a team here because the state government will never give up. Ergo they (the afl) are dragging every drop of blood out of them (the government) to minimise the loss.

Stadium is unnecessary. Especially a roofed one. Upgrade Bellerive and York Park for a fraction of the price.

The whole problem is the AFL have never thought a team was viable, this was an unsolicited bid, and they have to convince the AFL to take the shot.

Pneuma

First Grade
Stadium is unnecessary. Especially a roofed one. Upgrade Bellerive and York Park for a fraction of the price.

The whole problem is the AFL have never thought a team was viable, this was an unsolicited bid, and they have to convince the AFL to take the shot.
That’s what they seem to think here. It’s an afl state as you’d know. But the stadium appears to be a ‘boys’ thing.

Latest posts