What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divided rugby league fell 25 years ago – but united has it conquered? by Steve Mascord.

Bit harsh

going back to the 1930s London has gotten excellent crowds to club games

super league doesn’t have the money or the desire to expand out of its tiny heartlands

expansion threatens their established clubs as the experience with Toronto showed
So the traditional RFL clubs are like their counterparts from the NSWRFL?

sambo1600

Juniors
Like I said in the NZ thread, Unless the ARU is going to top up a player then there is no money in them going to that side. What do Shute Shield players get a few thousand a year?
Shute Shield salary cap is 200k with your high end players on 20-30k and the lower end on 2-5k.

siv

First Grade
Thanks comparable to NSW/QLD Cup wages
Its lower

As NRL minimum wage was $80k so NSW Cup players should be around $60-40k

Now with minimum wage jumping to $120k

It wont be long for these wages jump to $80k to $50k

Iamback

Coach
Its lower

As NRL minimum wage was $80k so NSW Cup players should be around $60-40k

Now with minimum wage jumping to $120k

It wont be long for these wages jump to $80k to $50k

Even more reason why RL is a better option for those with the choice

Iamback

Coach
Whats the salary cap? Shute Shield salary cap can only be used on non contracted super rugby players each Shute shield side has 3-4 Waratahs.

There isn't one. the only rule is the part timers can't get more then the full timers.

sambo1600

Juniors
There isn't one. the only rule is the part timers can't get more then the full timers.
I only had to google it and find that there is a salary cap in the qld cup which stands at 500k with the maximum a player can earn being 40k, clubs also dont have to hit a minimum amount of the cap it's just the maximum they can spend.

Iamback

Coach
I only had to google it and find that there is a salary cap in the qld cup which stands at 500k with the maximum a player can earn being 40k, clubs also dont have to hit a minimum amount of the cap it's just the maximum they can spend.

That waa pre-covid, I think it changed now

In that comp. Someone like Townsville will have up to 17 FT in their game day squad, So teams never go near the cap

siv

First Grade
So Qld Cup has a salary cap but NSW Cup does not

While RMC does have one and uses a PPIS points based system too

sambo1600

Juniors
presumably not including any nrl contracted players? So in reality could be well over double that depending on how many of the fringe nrl squad are playing that weekend.

Thats the same for Shute shield and looking at a couple of their yearly reports most qld cup sides dont get near 400k in player fees.