What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

diving..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
hate it.

sick of seeing players deliberately stay down to milk the penalty..

saw a classic case of it last night where a player was hit on the shoulder, he stays down until the ref blows a penalty and puts the offender on report.

said 'victim' then gets up perfectly fine and winks at the player who was put on report..

seeing more and more cases happen each weekend, and of course towards the end of the game when a penalty is more critical we see the diving / milking happen more often..

what can be done to stamp it out? don't want to hear people say it's gamesmanship, or 'part of the game'.. we are playing football, not acting..

to me, it's cheating.

Couldnt agree more.

Especially with the new regulations on shoulder charges there has to be some balance to the issue of the fact this is supposed to be a tough contact sport. Take away some of the tough aspects of it and you had better not allow what are obviously cowardly plays to creep in.

If you do your on a slippery slope towards the worst aspects of soccer in my opinion, so an example needs to be made and Inglis' rubbish last night is a good place to start.

Wont happen (especially because its Inglis) but ARLC, go your hardest.

Burwood

Bench
The video ref can only intervene if there is deemed to be foul play, i.e a reportable offence. That worked well when the rule was first introduced, but these days we are seeing the video ref inform the onfield ref to put minor infringements on report so that the penalty can be awarded.

The exact same thing as last night happened last week when Snowden was placed on report for his high tackle on a falling Carney. A soft penalty? Fair enough. But it's a bit harsh to award the penalty and place it on report when four onfield officials missed it/deemed it minor.

Grapple

First Grade
I agree.

The NBA has a similar thing introduced last season for "flopping" on calls. It can be introduced in the same way via video review AFTER the game, then fined or suspended subsequently. Like the NBA, it could have serious consequences when younger players emulate it in the lower grades, and see it as gaining advantage, or determining the outcome of the game.

Having said that, the officials should be able to make the call at the time, but obviously it's not as easy to do as in the NBA where there's the luxury of heaps of timeouts during each quarter.

Iafeta

Referee
All that said, the video referee giving a penalty in that situation was a disgraceful. It was never a penalty. This is where video refs have to get smarter.

gypsy

Bench
We need to accept diving as part of the game. It just adds to the theatre imho.
Don't want diving? Tackle below the neck ya Muppet!

Stagger Lee

Bench
Agree it is cheating and penalties need to enforced to stamp it out but it will be hard

One way is to get rid of the video ref altogether. The game can be replayed later by the match review committee to check on any missed foul play. We don't need instant replays.

gypsy

Bench
Fail to see how getting hit in the head is cheating?
Surely a player who gets away with coathangering someone is the cheat.

Stagger Lee

Bench
All that said, the video referee giving a penalty in that situation was a disgraceful. It was never a penalty. This is where video refs have to get smarter.

If no video ref - no penalty given
If no video ref - nothing to be gained from trying to act injured /cheat
If it was dirty play the match review panel picks it up the next day and the culprit gets punished.

The game can only get better by scrapping the video ref

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Fail to see how getting hit in the head is cheating?
Surely a player who gets away with coathangering someone is the cheat.
You missed the point. It's about players milking penalties. There are already rules against high tackles.

I remember years ago when a ref actually penalised a player for trying to milk a penalty, can't remember his name. It was applauded on the day but I suspect he did so without any backing from the League or the rules because it never happened again. But imo he was on the right track.

I would like to see players penalised for milking so we don't see our game go down the same pathetic path of soccer.

Latest posts