What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do Australians know how to drive on a 3 lane motorway

bazza

Immortal
On a recent trip up and down the NSW coast, I found that in sections on the road that was a 3 lane motorway that most drivers stuck to the middle lane rather than the left hand side.

This forces cars over taking to move 2 lanes or undertake in the left lane

Do people know that they should drive in the left hand lane?

B-dos

Referee
im not sure baz

i dont pay much attention to the grannies/l-platers/trucks etc in the left lane as i whiz past in the outside lane

Trucks, buses, caravans, horse floats, boat trailers, learners & P platers, and anyone wearing a bowling hat and/or in a Volvo.

Scorpio30

Bench
Possibly...as is the case when I notice it on the highway....Its to avoid the "mergees" entering the system from on ramps.

Where there many entry points on that section of road.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Depends if they're doing the speed limit or not bazza.

Pretty sure there is provision in the law to overtake on the inside lane should circumstances permit. eg safest option.

Parra

Referee
People who overtake on the left side should have their licences revokes on the spot.

If they have to ask why then they should never get it back.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
People who overtake on the left side should have their licences revokes on the spot.

If they have to ask why then they should never get it back.
What if there are two cars alongside each other in the right lanes driving at a snail's pace?

Trying to help bazza out here... he wants to whiz past.

roopy

Referee
The only 3 lane highway i drive on regularly has a 6klm hill at the start of the 3 lane section and a sign that clearly says the left lane is for slow moving vehicles - which i take to mean that cars travelling near the speed limit should be in the middle lane with the right lane for overtaking - but i do find i am more comfortable in the left lane if no trucks are grinding up the hill (just habit).

The Engineers Room

First Grade
It is KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING

Most drivers are stupid enough to stay in the middle lane some even stick to the right hand lane but both actions are illegal are deserve a public caning. To the idiot who wants people in the left lane to lose their licence they are doing the right thing by being in that lane but I try are overtake on the right if possible.

Skinner

Coach
I'm a bit like Roopy really. I frequently drive the F3 between Newcastle and Sydney and return. As some will know, there are a few hills on that stretch, hills, lots of trucks and (it seems) more and more L platers. I should point out that I have no issues with L platers, we all had to learn at some stage. The issue I do have is with the very slow speed that they are allowed to drive at, particularly on a freeway that has long stretches of 110 Km limit.

The many near misses I have witnessed have almost invariably involved learner drivers rather than the heavy vehicles that tend to use that stretch of road.

As a nett of all this, on the hilly sections, I use the middle lane. I use the middle lane unless I am on a longish stretch of road with long visibility, in which case I drive in the left hand lane

ozbash

Referee
passing on the left (undertaking) is pretty risky.

I believe there is a law against slow vehicles using the fast lanes ( in NZ, anyway)

TooheysNew

Coach
haha

geez coby. you always seem such an angry little man.

but im glad if youre like baz, youre also out of my way while im cruising past

About as far from angry little as you can get. Just letting you know you sound like a twat.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
passing on the left (undertaking) is pretty risky.

I believe there is a law against slow vehicles using the fast lanes ( in NZ, anyway)
Yes, same here. And risky to use the inside lane, but sometimes a little commonsense is needed.

But more dangerous are those dills driving 20km over the speed limit and screaming across two lanes of traffic just to make some point.

Parra

Referee
Making Learners and P Platers drive at less than the posted speed limit is also very stupid.

We see so many more learners on highways due to the idiotic requirement that they must drive X hours under supervision. If you have a 3 hour drive, why no let the learner get their hours up? At 80 in a 110 zone. lunacy.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Im often in the right lane to over take, but Ill overtake someone, go back into the middle late, over take again, and that repeats often, so Im usually in the right lane. (M4 is the free-way I use most)

I prefer using the middle lane as I believe its the safest lane when taking into account mergers and safety routes. Eg, say your in the left or right lane and there is a broken down vehicle ahead of you. In the middle lane you have 2 options to change into quickly, in the left or right lanes you and everyone infront and behind you only have the one option to change into.

And on the cheeky side, the middle lane is the left lane, from the right lanes perspective :wink:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Im often in the right lane to over take, but Ill overtake someone, go back into the middle late, over take again, and that repeats often, so Im usually in the right lane. (M4 is the free-way I use most)

I prefer using the middle lane as I believe its the safest lane when taking into account mergers and safety routes. Eg, say your in the left or right lane and there is a broken down vehicle ahead of you. In the middle lane you have 2 options to change into quickly, in the left or right lanes you and everyone infront and behind you only have the one option to change into.

And on the cheeky side, the middle lane is the left lane, from the right lanes perspective :wink:

B-dos

Referee
About as far from angry little as you can get. Just letting you know you sound like a twat.

well thanks for your opinion coby

you seem awfully sensitive about quite a harmless post but hey, who am i to judge... lol

Latest posts